Aftermarket grips for EM5 MK II?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SteveNunez, Apr 4, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, are there any aftermarket grips for the EM5 II ?
    Do EM5 (orig model) grips work on the MK II?

Thanks guys
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hey Steve, I have read that the ergonomics are much improved in the MKII, so I'm a little surprised that you are looking for an accessory grip. Whats your experience with the handling of the new version?
  3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Well I have quite a few m4/3 cams and had the original EM5 awhile back.....the E M10 feels very similar and the MK II while having a nice grip would still feel better with a slightly enlarged grip....this is of course subjective but I really like the feel of my EM10 with grip....I'd like the MK II to feel as good, which it doesn't in its stock form.
    One really annoying thing I've noticed about the MKII is the eyecup seems to allow allot of stray light into your view, the EM10 doesn't seem to have this issue.....its a minor thing but I'm finding it quite annoying.......not sure if I need a larger or smaller eyecup!
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    gariz now has new leather half cases for the e-m5 II, which gives slightly more grip to hold on to while giving some protection to the lower edges and bottom of the camera. i previously used their half case for the e-m5 I and liked it when using some prime lenses. price is somewhat steep though.

5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
  6. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any other grip options for the mkii?
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's a wooden one from JB Designs. I bought their original resin design for my EM5 and was very happy with it. Do not have experience with their newer wood designs.

J.B. Camera Designs Pro Wood Grip for Olympus E-M5 Mark II - Handmade in the USA
    by J.B. Camera Designs
  8. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the link.
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Really Right Stuff has an E-M5 II grip. It's definitely not cheap, but I have their similar grip on my E-M5 and it's very solid and makes handling the camera a dream.
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

If the budget will allow, I'd highly recommend the RRS unit referenced above, with or without the "L" bracket addition.
  11. ductrung3993

ductrung3993 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2015
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    If you just want a grip and not the full Olympus vertical plus battery solution, I'd highly recommend the Really Right Stuff solution for 3 reasons.

1. It's extremely well made.
    2. It's modular so you have the choice of using just the base plate, with grip or with L bracket.
    3. It's functionally fantastic. Access to battery without having to take the bottom plate off. Storage slot for torx screwdriver. Base plate and L plate are Arca Swiss compatible.
  13. A1short

A1short New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2015
    I bought this "Neewer" quick release plate / grip on eBay for about $20. It fits on my Really right stuff tripod head mount, and is very nice, all metal construction. Not sure how it's different to the RRS version (other than it's aprox. $100 cheaper).
    You can use the base plate only, or the base and side plate. Grip is hollow inside (and would have been nice if it had a slot to hold the allen key to remove it from the camera and break down the grip).
    I use this mostly if I'm going to be shooting on the tripod a lot as I don't really mind the actual grip the basic camera body has, it works well for me.
    My instinct is that I want a shutter button on the grip (like Olympus have on theirs), but I think with a bit more use I'd be ok with it as is. Overall the grip is definitely more comfortable to use and more helpful with bigger lenses (e.g.. 14-40 zoom).