Aftermarket grip for the E-M1.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Zancrow, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Anybody here have any experience with an aftermarket grip for the E-M1? I'm interested in getting one or if I should just save the money and get one from Olympus.
  2. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Wondering the same thing myself...
  3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Get the HLD-7 if you need a second battery, or do a lot of handheld portraits.

Get the eBay L-Plate vertical grip if you need tripod portraits i.e: panorama. Cost only a third of the above.

Buy both? :)
  4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Do you really need one, or is it just GAS.

I sold mine, It turns the camera into a house brick..... IMVHO.
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Guess it would depend on what lenses you use. I could not imagine using my camera without it, and it's still much smaller then my gripped 7D was.
  6. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    I take a lot of vertical portraits with my camera, not sure if it would make it easier if I added the grip. I would say maybe 20-30% of me thinks is just G.A.S.
  7. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    I bought an aftermarket grip for my e-m1 on Amazon. It was awful! The quality was not on par with the quality of the camera. There was play on the dials and it just felt really cheap.
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I use the HLD-7 only on occasions where I'll be shooting an event and need the battery capacity. Otherwise I prefer to have the BOEM1 camera plate, which gives my pinky finger a resting area. Without that plate, I find the camera to be just a tad too small. Amazing what a 1/4" thick aluminum plate will do for ergonomics.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I have been looking at some of the aluminum L-plates on Amazon and elsewhere. They provide Arca-Swiss compatible tripod mounts in both landscape and portrait modes, hence better than flipping the ballhead over for portrait shots. They look like they'll work, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. RRS has their BOEM1-L set.

Then again, if you need the extra battery capacity, the HLD-7 seems to be the one to get. :)
  10. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    I link the Olympus grip, both for the second battery, and for the ergonomicss when shooting portraits or using the 40-150.

If I am trying to stay small I will leave it off. I found that the E-M1 with the 12-40 handles quite well left-handed for portraits, for me at least it is more comfortable and hence steadier than using some unnatural twist to shoot right-handed sans grip.
  11. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'm getting the HLD-7 after all.