Aftermarket grip for Em5 mkiii

Frustrated with the ECG-5 grip. I returned it today.
Overpriced, too heavy, doesn't fit my hand well. And looks a bit messy with the many dials.
With it attached, you are getting within 50 grams of the E-M1 ii, which also comes with a larger viewfinder, and much larger battery. And the E-M5 iii is actually taller if you attach the grip!

The ECG-3 isn't light as a feather, either, but its price to performance ratio is much better in my opinion. And it doesn't mess up the looks of the beautiful E-M10 ii.

All I wanted was a way to comfortably carry the the 12-40 pro with my new Olympus. But I guess that's what the E-M1 series is for, anyway :whistling:
The grip of the E-M1 Mark I was almost perfect for me, just needed a few mm more height.
Now with the new cameras, they have made the grips both taller AND deeper, which is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I'll keep searching. The Haoge looked really good, but it's only 20g lighter than the ECG-5. And I'm glad for reading everyone's opinions first before wasting 50 bucks. Don't really like the look of the Fittest, at least it's cheap. The STC looks really well made, but I am looking for something more compact and light.

The MegaGear case is just much nicer, and seems somewhat lighter too. I have always been happy with the built-in grip of the E-M5.3, but the MegaGear just makes it feel and look even better, I think.

Looks really nice in brown, would be my first half-case. How light exactly is it, do you know?

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Frustrated with the ECG-5 grip. I returned it today.
Overpriced, too heavy, doesn't fit my hand well. And looks a bit messy with the many dials.
With it attached, you are getting within 50 grams of the E-M1 ii, which also comes with a larger viewfinder, and much larger battery. And the E-M5 iii is actually taller if you attach the grip!

The ECG-3 isn't light as a feather, either, but its price to performance ratio is much better in my opinion. And it doesn't mess up the looks of the beautiful E-M10 ii.

All I wanted was a way to comfortably carry the the 12-40 pro with my new Olympus. But I guess that's what the E-M1 series is for, anyway :whistling:
The grip of the E-M1 Mark I was almost perfect for me, just needed a few mm more height.
Now with the new cameras, they have made the grips both taller AND deeper, which is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I'll keep searching. The Haoge looked really good, but it's only 20g lighter than the ECG-5. And I'm glad for reading everyone's opinions first before wasting 50 bucks. Don't really like the look of the Fittest, at least it's cheap. The STC looks really well made, but I am looking for something more compact and light.

Looks really nice in brown, would be my first half-case. How light exactly is it, do you know?
I just weighed it on my postal scale - the Megagear case weighs a big 53g (1.85oz), so it's essentially nothing (I also edited an earlier post I made about this to add this weight info). I agree, it looks really nice in brown (I have a black camera, not silver).

Last edited:

protapic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Thanks everyone for insights on these grips to help me decide which one to try. In the end I have just placed an order for the FOGRIP, I like well made things and ...the colors match well with black-silver of my E-M5iii. :whistling:

Besides utility of the grip for larger lenses, my own fingers have a habit of accidentally pushing the button near the mount and I hope this will reduce this issue.

In earlier comments some remarked on price of the FOGRIP being high, especially with shipping costs. When I added the grip, somehow the price of $120 for both parts automatically went from $120 to $108 (in picture). With shipping, the total for me was $143. If you wanted this for price but wanted free shipping, the current price may prove attractive. Maybe there is a sale I am unaware of, or this is just for that color combo? Nice surprise nonetheless.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 11.20.35 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter
Thanks everyone for insights on these grips to help me decide which one to try. In the end I have just placed an order for the FOGRIP, I like well made things and ...the colors match well with black-silver of my E-M5iii. :whistling:

Besides utility of the grip for larger lenses, my own fingers have a habit of accidentally pushing the button near the mount and I hope this will reduce this issue.

In earlier comments some remarked on price of the FOGRIP being high, especially with shipping costs. When I added the grip, somehow the price of $120 for both parts automatically went from $120 to $108 (in picture). With shipping, the total for me was $143. If you wanted this for price but wanted free shipping, the current price may prove attractive. Maybe there is a sale I am unaware of, or this is just for that color combo? Nice surprise nonetheless.

View attachment 865502

Looks like you got a deal. Good on ya! They are very well designed and made.

I just weighed it on my postal scale - the Megagear case weighs a big 53g (1.85oz), so it's essentially nothing (I also edited an earlier post I made about this to add this weight info). I agree, it looks really nice in brown (I have a black camera, not silver).

Thank you RAH, I bit the bullet and it was definitely worth it.
It adds a bit more height and depth, allowing me to comfortably hold the M5 iii with a 12-40 Pro or 17mm f1.2.
It also protects the plastic underside of the camera - of course mine's already scuffed from before. :whistling:
The camera is a bit bulkier, yes - but a nice middle ground between the much larger E-M1 ii and a small, but fiddly, naked M5 iii.
And at the equivalent of less than two slices of bread the weight expense should be manageable for most trips.
Now, I only wish the leather improved battery life :)

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I bought the ecg-5 . It's fine for me. Still too expensive but a 20 percent off sale made it less so.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom