Aftermarket grip for Em5 mkiii

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yes, the vertical grip seems short. It looks like you would be able to curl your ring and little fingers around it, but your middle and index finger wouldn't have any additional support. Is that how it feels to you?
I think that this short grip should be a good thing. I mean, my big complaint about the Fittest grip for the E-M10.2 was that the grip came almost to the top and got in the way of your index (and middle too) finger, so it made it difficult to press the shutter, at least for someone with my smallish hands. I heard others same the same thing. On the new Fittest grip for E-M5.3, they made the grip shorter (somewhat similar to the FOGRIP), and I find it perfect. your middle somewhat grabs the top of the extra grip, but your index finger is unencumbered for the shutter. Of course, it IS possible that the FOGRIP grip is too short. It looks kind of similar to the Fittest, however.

adcom2020

New to Mu-43
Snapshot from STC site of the front grip in use. Looks like it will work for me!

1597855147781.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It actually doesn't feel too bad, mostly because the bottom flippy-down plate thing. That takes a lot of the weight of the camera. The way the shutter button is your grip is more 'vertical'. My middle finger is above the front grip thing, but there's plenty of purchase on the camera body. It doesn't feel bad at all. That little flip out plate makes all the difference. You wouldn't really want to one-hand it with the plate flipped up. It's a bit in the way and feels awkward.

Real Name
Walter
The 12-100 is my main travel kit lens. An accessory grip, no matter which one, makes the 5.3 easier to handle with lenses like the 12-100. When I got the 5.3, I considered getting the 12-45 f4 because it would be a better match. But, since I already have the 12-100, I decided to get an accessory grip instead of buying a new lens. Even though the FOGRIP costs more than the Haoge, it might be worth it because of its extra features, better fit and finish. They also have a folding vertical grip for the EM1.2/3 and I'm considering that too. My current L-bracket doesn't fit the 1.3 very well.

Well, I bit the bullet, twice. I had emailed STC saying I'd buy their products if they would stock them at Amazon, which doesn't have them even though STC lists Amazon US as a distributor. I also complained about their exorbitant shipping costs. I asked them when they would have products at Amazon. Well, they didn't answer that question but offered me a modest discount on the FOGRIPs and a cheaper shipping rate. So, I put my wallet where my foot was and ordered FOGRIPs for the 5.3 and 1.3. I ordered the L-brackets although I would probably use the brackets without them most of the time. I think their grips will be superior to the Haoge for the 5.3 and the ill-fitting ProMaster for my 1.3. I hope so, considering the outlay was still a bit high. We shall see. :)

Last edited:
Real Name
M@
Meh, I paid full... but it did ship and get here to Texas pretty darn quick. I've got a 12-100 coming from Hong Kong, but it looks like USPS will be handling it stateside... they've been having issues. Tracking says I should get it a week from Monday. The 12-100 will likely be my primary traveling lens, to which I'll probably usually bring the 17 f/1.8 and the 14-42EZ for a lighter compact setup. The grip will be a welcome accessory with the 12-100.

Real Name
Walter
Meh, I paid full... but it did ship and get here to Texas pretty darn quick. I've got a 12-100 coming from Hong Kong, but it looks like USPS will be handling it stateside... they've been having issues. Tracking says I should get it a week from Monday. The 12-100 will likely be my primary traveling lens, to which I'll probably usually bring the 17 f/1.8 and the 14-42EZ for a lighter compact setup. The grip will be a welcome accessory with the 12-100.

Thank you for being a pioneer. Your experience encouraged me to take the plunge. Mahalo!

Real Name
Walter
Well, I bit the bullet, twice. I had emailed STC saying I'd buy their products if they would stock them at Amazon, which doesn't have them even though STC lists Amazon US as a distributor. I also complained about their exorbitant shipping costs. I asked them when they would have products at Amazon. Well, they didn't answer that question but offered me a modest discount on the FOGRIPs and a cheaper shipping rate. So, I put my wallet where my foot was and ordered FOGRIPs for the 5.3 and 1.3. I ordered the L-brackets although I would probably use the brackets without them most of the time. I think their grips will be superior to the Haoge for the 5.3 and the ill-fitting ProMaster for my 1.3. I hope so, considering the outlay was still a bit high. We shall see. :)

Update 2: Oh no, STC said my box got to Hawaii and was then rejected and sent back because it was from Taiwan because of coronavirus. This makes no sense because China has this more under control than we do. Hawaii is experiencing a big surge in infections. If anything, China would have justification to reject shipments from Hawaii or the US, rather than the other way around. Damn. :doh:

I contacted the USPS with a complaint. Kudos to them, someone from the Honolulu Post Office called me within an hour or two and after I gave her some information, she said it isn't in her records. Considering the short time between shipping and the "return" to STC, she suspected that it never left Taiwan. It has been less than a week. If it reached here, they would have the TW tracking number in their database. She said it's not likely that they rejected a parcel from Taiwan. So, I emailed STC and asked them to check on their end. Hmm... there will be more to this story.

Update 3: STC checked the returned box and agreed that it never left Taiwan. The Taiwan Post office rejected it, apparently because while the US is an acceptable destination, Hawaii and Guam were not specifically mentioned. So, despite the fact that Hawaii is a state of the US, they decided that Hawaii would reject it and returned it to STC. Dolts. STC offered to send it via DHL Express if I paid the difference, which I did to get my grips. Hope it will be on its way soon. One never knows when a minor government functionary will screw up. SMH.

Last edited:
Real Name
M@
That's odd... Mine got to Texas pretty quick... I think it took a week. Hawaii has been a bit more 'strict' with travel and such due to COVID... but I've not heard of mail being rejected anywhere in the US due to restrictions.

I hope that's not happening... I have a 12-100 f/4 coming from Hong Kong that should be here by Monday!

Real Name
Walter
That's odd... Mine got to Texas pretty quick... I think it took a week. Hawaii has been a bit more 'strict' with travel and such due to COVID... but I've not heard of mail being rejected anywhere in the US due to restrictions.

I hope that's not happening... I have a 12-100 f/4 coming from Hong Kong that should be here by Monday!

Hope you have better luck with your shipment!

Real Name
Walter
Hooray, finally got my FOGRIPS in! After the screwup by Taiwan Post refusing to ship it to Hawaii, I paid extra to have it sent via DHL Express. It came in last night and I checked them out this afternoon.

I posted some comparison shots here. Too tired to pick out shots, so please check the album and the comments for details. The album also includes unboxing shots of the 100-400 and a few quickie test shots.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/N4Ls7G

One point I wanted to make. Some posters complained about the air gap between the bottom plate and the Haoge grip. They were so dissatisfied that they returned the grips. In my opinion, the air gap is inherent in the design of the EM5 III and the grips. The tripod mount area of the 5.3 stands proud of the bottom plate by maybe 1/2 millimeter. The grips have rubber pads that stick up from the aluminum bracket by a millimeter or less. When you clamp the brackets on, there is an air gap because the raised tripod mount and the rubber pads prevent the bottom plate from making flush contact with the bracket. Yet, when I made both brackets reasonably tight on the camera, they both felt solid.

There is only one grip I know of that has an indent for the raised tripod mount area, and that is the Olympus ECG-5. The problem with that grip is that it is made of plastic, there are no Area-Swiss flanges, and I dunno if it even has a tripod socket on the bottom, so not much use as an L-bracket.

I'm going to keep the FOGRIPs because they are beautifully made and finished, feel very solid when mounted, fit well without scratching my 1.3 as my previous bracket did, and the foldout plate adds some welcome extra grip and comfort to the grip. Also, the articulating display has a lot more freedom of movement with the FOGRIPS than with the Haoge. Besides, it'd be too expensive to ship them back to Taiwan. No seriously, they are very nice. Check the album to see for yourself.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
One point I wanted to make. Some posters complained about the air gap between the bottom plate and the Haoge grip. They were so dissatisfied that they returned the grips. In my opinion, the air gap is inherent in the design of the EM5 III and the grips. The tripod mount area of the 5.3 stands proud of the bottom plate by maybe 1/2 millimeter. The grips have rubber pads that stick up from the aluminum bracket by a millimeter or less. When you clamp the brackets on, there is an air gap because the raised tripod mount and the rubber pads prevent the bottom plate from making flush contact with the bracket. Yet, when I made both brackets reasonably tight on the camera, they both felt solid.
I agree with you. I thought of that earlier while looking closely at my Fittest grip (although I couldn't see much of a gap with that) - it's the way the camera and a bracket will sit.

Nice pictures! (I guess you must have some good camera equipment or something, huh? ;) ). Plus you got your 100-400 lens. Christmas came early! Very cool!! :yahoo:

Real Name
Walter
@retiredfromlife, I don't know how to move postings, so I copied your post to here.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-oly-100-400-impressions-and-images.109375/post-1413929

Holoholo55 said:
Album combines FOGRIP tests and 100-400 unboxing and quick test shots. Too tired to pick a few examples, so please help yourself if interested and read the comments.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/xc8W8s
That FOGRIP looks interesting, could you give us your thoughts on it after using it for awhile. From their site it looks like the inside where the camera sits has holes for the location pins [or what ever you call them] on the bottom of the camera EM1.3 Are they deep enough so the camera does not sit on them when mounted? If the camera sits on the pins it could put pressure on the tripod socket.

Looks like that "L" bracket allows more movement than most. Be good to see some shots of the movement it allows. Looks like it partly covers the rubber flaps on the EM1.3 a bit, can they be opened with the "L" bracket on?

Had a look on their site and got as far as the checkout with out paying and could not tell if the currency was local AUD or USD. I am guessing USD which raised the price a bit, but no more expensive than the RRS one

------
Yes, it has holes for the locator pins on the EM1.3 body and they're deep enough. There's a slight air gap between the base plate and the bracket, but it's quite small. Attributable to the rubber strips on the FOGRIP bracket (see below).

Regarding the rubber flaps on the EM1.3, the L-plate does block the lowest one covering the HDMI and USB ports. It partially blocks the headphone jack port but I think you can squeeze the plug in. The microphone port is not blocked. I figure for video purposes, most people would remove the L-plate anyway.

The display at max opening with the L-plate on.
IMG_2777 1.JPG

Display can be rotated.
IMG_2779 1.JPG

Display can be seen partly from the front.
IMG_2783 1.JPG

Showing what ports are blocked by the L-plate.
IMG_2784 1.JPG

The rubber strips on the FOGRIP bracket.
IMG_2787 1.JPG

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@retiredfromlife, I don't know how to move postings, so I copied your post to here.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-oly-100-400-impressions-and-images.109375/post-1413929

That FOGRIP looks interesting, could you give us your thoughts on it after using it for awhile. From their site it looks like the inside where the camera sits has holes for the location pins [or what ever you call them] on the bottom of the camera EM1.3 Are they deep enough so the camera does not sit on them when mounted? If the camera sits on the pins it could put pressure on the tripod socket.

Looks like that "L" bracket allows more movement than most. Be good to see some shots of the movement it allows. Looks like it partly covers the rubber flaps on the EM1.3 a bit, can they be opened with the "L" bracket on?

Had a look on their site and got as far as the checkout with out paying and could not tell if the currency was local AUD or USD. I am guessing USD which raised the price a bit, but no more expensive than the RRS one

------
Yes, it has holes for the locator pins on the EM1.3 body and they're deep enough. There's a slight air gap between the base plate and the bracket, but it's quite small. Attributable to the rubber strips on the FOGRIP bracket (see below).

Regarding the rubber flaps on the EM1.3, the L-plate does block the lowest one covering the HDMI and USB ports. It partially blocks the headphone jack port but I think you can squeeze the plug in. The microphone port is not blocked. I figure for video purposes, most people would remove the L-plate anyway.

The display at max opening with the L-plate on.
View attachment 846867

Display can be rotated.
View attachment 846868

Display can be seen partly from the front.
View attachment 846869

Showing what ports are blocked by the L-plate.
View attachment 846870

The rubber strips on the FOGRIP bracket.
View attachment 846873
Thanks for the photos, they show what I was interestws in.

With regard to the catch below picture is it spring loaded? Was a bit hard to understand, but on one of his videos but it was mentioned that some catches were changed to spring loaded ones as the original were causing some metal to come off. I was not sure which model her was reffering to but Olympus was in the description.

Certainly looks like an interesting grip

Catch.jpg

Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the photos, they show what I was interestws in.

With regard to the catch below picture is it spring loaded? Was a bit hard to understand, but on one of his videos but it was mentioned that some catches were changed to spring loaded ones as the original were causing some metal to come off. I was not sure which model her was reffering to but Olympus was in the description.

Certainly looks like an interesting grip

View attachment 846875

I think he's referring to the "catches" that hold the folding bracket closed and open. They're using a tiny spring-loaded ball bearing in a little socket that fits into a hole in the corresponding part. I'll try to add some photos. Easier than explaining.

Here is the tiny ball bearing in its spring-loaded socket. The flap folds into this open area over the battery door.
IMG_2790 1.JPG

There's an indent in the corresponding part. When you close the flap, the ball bearing protrudes into the hole and holds the flap closed. Ingenious, simple, and very positive,
IMG_2791 1.JPG

There's another ball bearing on the hinged edge of the flap that locks the flap open.
IMG_2788 1.JPG

The whole grip is a finely designed and built bracket. Very impressive.

I was using the FOGRIP today with my new Oly 100-400 lens. I can't say that it makes a "huge" difference, but I think it makes a subtle and important difference. Had no problems holding the camera with this big lens on it. I plan to keep the FOGRIP on the camera and take off the L-plate when I need better access to the cable ports and rear display.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think he's referring to the "catches" that hold the folding bracket closed and open. They're using a tiny spring-loaded ball bearing in a little socket that fits into a hole in the corresponding part. I'll try to add some photos. Easier than explaining.

Here is the tiny ball bearing in its spring-loaded socket. The flap folds into this open area over the battery door.
View attachment 846880

There's an indent in the corresponding part. When you close the flap, the ball bearing protrudes into the hole and holds the flap closed. Ingenious, simple, and very positive,
View attachment 846881

There's another ball bearing on the hinged edge of the flap that locks the flap open.
View attachment 846879

The whole grip is a finely designed and built bracket. Very impressive.

I was using the FOGRIP today with my new Oly 100-400 lens. I can't say that it makes a "huge" difference, but I think it makes a subtle and important difference. Had no problems holding the camera with this big lens on it. I plan to keep the FOGRIP on the camera and take off the L-plate when I need better access to the cable ports and rear display.
Thanks for the extra photos.
Yes looks like I misinterpreted what he said.
I tend to take the "L" bracket bit off all the brackets I have so I doubt it will be a problem for me.
The more I see of this unit the more I like. Looks like one more thing to add to my list now.

Edit,
Which site did you purchase it from. The only one I can find is the manufacturers site
https://stcoptics.com/en/fogripforem1miii/

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the extra photos.
Yes looks like I misinterpreted what he said.
I tend to take the "L" bracket bit off all the brackets I have so I doubt it will be a problem for me.
The more I see of this unit the more I like. Looks like one more thing to add to my list now.

Edit,
Which site did you purchase it from. The only one I can find is the manufacturers site
https://stcoptics.com/en/fogripforem1miii/

According to their site, there are distributors in Hong Kong and Malaysia. I dunno which is more convenient for you. I ordered mine direct from Taiwan. They said that Amazon US was a distributor, but they didn't have it. https://stcoptics.com/en/distributor/

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
FWIW, I was attempting to do Fall pictures on the Kancamagus Scenic Highway on Saturday (though it was somewhat spotty), and I did zoo pictures today at the Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, Rhode Islade. I used the E-m5 mark III as my only camera, and I had the Olympus 12-100mm f/4 pro lens that I borrowed as part of the Olympus Test & Wow program. I had the Fittest L-bracket on my E-m5 mark III, but I did not attach the side L-bracket part, just the base plate.

Once on Saturday and once today (Sunday), I noticed the Fittest L-bracket base plate was coming loose. Fortunately, with the magnetically attached Allen wrench, I was able to tighten it back together. Note, after using cameras with various problems with the tripod socket, including the plastic socket in some of the older Olympus C-cameras, I generally don't over-tighten screws.

I suspect however, riding on my neck for two days, and being jostled about, caused the screw to come loose. I suspect I may decide to ditch the Fittest L-bracket and go back to the 1/2 case I was using before.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Interesting report, @Michael Meissner . I also have the Fittest bracket and had also been tempted by those half-cases earlier. Hmm... Perhaps I'll spring for one. I suppose that even if such a case got as loose as the Fittest bracket thru using it and jostling it throughout a day, it might not be so apparent, since the case has a little "play" in it anyway (not on the bottom, but just its characteristics).

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting report, @Michael Meissner . I also have the Fittest bracket and had also been tempted by those half-cases earlier. Hmm... Perhaps I'll spring for one. I suppose that even if such a case got as loose as the Fittest bracket thru using it and jostling it throughout a day, it might not be so apparent, since the case has a little "play" in it anyway (not on the bottom, but just its characteristics).
The half-case that I bought is:
I had bought the brown case, but Amazon originally sent me the black case. I really hated the black case. I returned it, and Amazon sent me the brown case that I had ordered. Worlds of differences between the two. I love the feel of the brown case in my hand.

Unlike some cases that I've had for other cameras, the case only covers the front and the bottom, with very little side support on the right side and none on the left. There is nothing on the back. Obviously given the nature of the E-m5 mark III buttons and LCD screen, there isn't much extra space. It would be nice if there was a small grommet on each side, that I could use to attach to the strap holders to make sure the case stays on.

The problem was when I picked up the camera, the base could twist a little bit back and forth. I tightened the screw so that it didn't move, but as I said, the next day, I had the same issue. I picked it up again today, and it was just as loose. So, I'm going back to the 1/2 case for now. If I use the camera a lot with Arca tripod heads, particularly if I'm doing portrait orientation shots, I might put the case back on.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
The half-case that I bought is:
I had bought the brown case, but Amazon originally sent me the black case. I really hated the black case. I returned it, and Amazon sent me the brown case that I had ordered. Worlds of differences between the two. I love the feel of the brown case in my hand.
I bought a brown MegaGear half case, similar to the one you got (Amazon shipped me the correct brown one on the first try, so that was good). I like it very much and am probably going to keep it on the camera all the time, except when I want to go vertical, when I'll put the Fittest on. The MegaGear case is just much nicer, and it's somewhat lighter too (the MegaGear case weighs 53g - 1.85oz ). I have always been happy with the built-in grip of the E-M5.3, but the MegaGear just makes it feel and look even better, I think.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom