Aftermarket grip for Em5 mkiii

Real Name
M@
You just want the grip and no dovetail plate to go on a tripod head? Or you okay with L bracket kinda accesory? I am a big fan of L brackets built into grip. If I had EM5 mk 3, I will look into this -

https://shop.stcoptics.com/product/fogrip-em5mk3/

I particularly like the Red, blue combo on a silver body. And also Brown/Orange! (But too expensive, new)
Biggest draw of course is the unique folding grip which I feel is a great idea for such smaller bodies where you pinkie just dangles while holding camera.

View attachment 815019

*STC is mostly famous for their novel filters that go in front of the sensor and other optics.

View attachment 815013
View attachment 815015

I was going to order a Haoge or whatever from Amazon, but they're out of stock... so I ordered one of these. It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow given it's $145 shipped to the US... but I think the little fold down doohickey will probably help a one-handed grip.

The 5MkIII is fine with the small lenses, but with something like the 12-40 pro on it, it gets too front heavy to be comfortable one-handed.

I'll update once I receive it. I'll be testing it out on my PD Travel Tripod. If all works well, this will be something that will pretty much stay on the camera full-time.

Real Name
Walter
I was going to order a Haoge or whatever from Amazon, but they're out of stock... so I ordered one of these. It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow given it's $145 shipped to the US... but I think the little fold down doohickey will probably help a one-handed grip.

The 5MkIII is fine with the small lenses, but with something like the 12-40 pro on it, it gets too front heavy to be comfortable one-handed.

I'll update once I receive it. I'll be testing it out on my PD Travel Tripod. If all works well, this will be something that will pretty much stay on the camera full-time.

I was giving heavy consideration to the STC Optics FOGRIP. I liked the design and finish. That folding under grip might really help with a firm grip using larger lenses on the 5.3. But, I settled for the Haoge because of the higher cost and shipping of the STC. STC listed Amazon US as a distributor, and if they had actually provided product to Amazon, I probably would have bought it. Please let us know what you think.

Indeed. It's breaching into RRS territory. Looks clever though.
Yes, it seems clever.
I like the folding part on the right.
If it wasn't so expensive (160$ to France, with possible additional custom taxes), I would have liked to try it.

My only concern is the L plate.
It's very tiny so it probably doesn't get into cables or articulated screen, but it means on a tripod, there's only approx. 1 cm of the plate that is used to hold it.
It probably works... but this is the kind of things I would have like to try before buying.

Real Name
M@
Looks like it should ship quick, possibly getting here to Texas on Wednesday. I didn't get the L plate for it because I'd probably never use it. If I mount to a tripod, I can rotate the head pretty easily anyway.

I'll try to get some pictures on the camera and post my opinions about it. I hope it works out well, because it's a lot to spend on something like that.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Looks like it should ship quick, possibly getting here to Texas on Wednesday. I didn't get the L plate for it because I'd probably never use it. If I mount to a tripod, I can rotate the head pretty easily anyway.
The problem with using the head to go vertical is that it means that the camera is no longer on the pivot point of the tripod/head - it is off to the side. This doesn't matter at all for just taking individual shots (except suddenly the viewfinder is usually much lower, depending on the camera model).

But if you do wide horizontal panoramas (my main reason for going vertical), it is desirable to have the camera pivot as close to the "nodal" point (the center of the sensor, I think) as possible. It's not all that important for wide landscape panos (sometimes I even do them handheld in a pinch), but when using a tripod it is best to get as close as possible. When you use a vertical bracket, you maintain that nice centering on the head.

Yeah, I find it more comfortable with the L bracket, it's easier to manipulate and it makes the camera higher.
(and as I'm quite tall the calera is never too high :) ).

For me that's the only reason I need a grip for thr em5.
That being said the fogrip is the only bracket that seems to have a real added value (for me) to handle the camera.

I found very little reviews (it exists also for sony) for what seems to be a very good idea...

Real Name
M@
The problem with using the head to go vertical is that it means that the camera is no longer on the pivot point of the tripod/head - it is off to the side. This doesn't matter at all for just taking individual shots (except suddenly the viewfinder is usually much lower, depending on the camera model).

But if you do wide horizontal panoramas (my main reason for going vertical), it is desirable to have the camera pivot as close to the "nodal" point (the center of the sensor, I think) as possible. It's not all that important for wide landscape panos (sometimes I even do them handheld in a pinch), but when using a tripod it is best to get as close as possible. When you use a vertical bracket, you maintain that nice centering on the head.

That's definitely a concern... and if it is, you'd probably want to go ahead and get the L bracket for it. I don't think I'll run into a use case where I really need it, but it's great that it is an option!

Real Name
M@
I received the grip today! That was some fast shipping from Singapore, getting here a couple of days ahead of the originally scheduled delivery. (I wish the USPS were this good!)

I removed the PD mount plate and put this grip on, and it feels pretty good. With the little flip-down bit folded up, it's a bit in the way and feels awkward. Flipping it down feels much better. The larger plate rests against the heel of your hand and gives you a leverage point both side-to-side and front to back, although the latter depends on the edge of the little plate thing. It appears to be well made.

The flippy-down bit is locked in place with a little ball detent both when it is down and when it is up. It does rattle a little bit in both positions, so be aware of that.

I tried putting it on my PD travel tripod, and it fits right on, even with the lateral stop pins in place on the ball head of the tripod. That's the good. The bad is that it will slide left and right a bit, but if it's level, I think there's enough friction to hold it in place.

With the 12-40 Pro on it, it's MUCH more comfortable to handle one-handed. The bottom bit (except the bit over the battery door of course) is tight against the body. Hopefully this will prevent any issues with the thread post in the polycarbonate body.

potatogrip4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

potatogrip3.jpg

potatogrip2.jpg

potatogrip1.jpg

Real Name
Walter
I received the grip today! That was some fast shipping from Singapore, getting here a couple of days ahead of the originally scheduled delivery. (I wish the USPS were this good!)

I removed the PD mount plate and put this grip on, and it feels pretty good. With the little flip-down bit folded up, it's a bit in the way and feels awkward. Flipping it down feels much better. The larger plate rests against the heel of your hand and gives you a leverage point both side-to-side and front to back, although the latter depends on the edge of the little plate thing. It appears to be well made.

The flippy-down bit is locked in place with a little ball detent both when it is down and when it is up. It does rattle a little bit in both positions, so be aware of that.

I tried putting it on my PD travel tripod, and it fits right on, even with the lateral stop pins in place on the ball head of the tripod. That's the good. The bad is that it will slide left and right a bit, but if it's level, I think there's enough friction to hold it in place.

With the 12-40 Pro on it, it's MUCH more comfortable to handle one-handed. The bottom bit (except the bit over the battery door of course) is tight against the body. Hopefully this will prevent any issues with the thread post in the polycarbonate body.

View attachment 841827

View attachment 841826

View attachment 841825

View attachment 841824

It looks really good. Much better fitting than my Haoge grip, which leaves a little gap on the bottom. The STC looks really well made and beautifully finished. Now, if only Amazon would sell it in the US so we don't have to pay the exorbitant shipping cost, it'd be worth picking one up. Thanks!

Real Name
M@
It looks really good. Much better fitting than my Haoge grip, which leaves a little gap on the bottom. The STC looks really well made and beautifully finished. Now, if only Amazon would sell it in the US so we don't have to pay the exorbitant shipping cost, it'd be worth picking one up. Thanks!

That would definitely be preferable. I think I'll really like this grip. My intention is to leave it on full-time.

I just checked it out, I can pick up the camera with my right hand, and with only that hand I can flip down the grip bit and lock it in place. (the front bit rotating inward locks the flippy-outy bit). I can't really unlock it and close it with one hand, though.

Real Name
M@
Did you also purchase the front grip? If so how’s that working?

Yeah, it does have the front bit on it. I got the black leather finished one. It definitely helps the grip. I do wish the little vertical bit were about another half inch (1.5CM) longer, though.

potatogrip.jpg

adcom2020

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the pics on the grip. Does seem a little short. Reading other comments in this thread related to the Haoge grip - seems like there is a small gap between the camera and the plate. Potential concerns about flexing were mentioned. On the STC Fogrip do you notice any gaps between camera and plate? On their web site it looks like a tight fit. Keep us updated on your likes/dislikes after extended use.

Thanks,

[/QUOTE]

Real Name
M@
There are little rubber strips on the top of the grip that mates to the bottom of the camera, it doesn't compress a ton, but I wouldn't attempt to torque down the screw too tight. There is a bit of gap around the battery door, but it's not that important for the grip to make contact there.

Real Name
Walter
Yeah, it does have the front bit on it. I got the black leather finished one. It definitely helps the grip. I do wish the little vertical bit were about another half inch (1.5CM) longer, though.

View attachment 841833

Yes, the vertical grip seems short. It looks like you would be able to curl your ring and little fingers around it, but your middle and index finger wouldn't have any additional support. Is that how it feels to you?

Real Name
M@
Yes, the vertical grip seems short. It looks like you would be able to curl your ring and little fingers around it, but your middle and index finger wouldn't have any additional support. Is that how it feels to you?

It actually doesn't feel too bad, mostly because the bottom flippy-down plate thing. That takes a lot of the weight of the camera. The way the shutter button is your grip is more 'vertical'. My middle finger is above the front grip thing, but there's plenty of purchase on the camera body. It doesn't feel bad at all. That little flip out plate makes all the difference. You wouldn't really want to one-hand it with the plate flipped up. It's a bit in the way and feels awkward.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
There are little rubber strips on the top of the grip that mates to the bottom of the camera, it doesn't compress a ton, but I wouldn't attempt to torque down the screw too tight. There is a bit of gap around the battery door, but it's not that important for the grip to make contact there.
That gaps to be expected. There's no rubber strip at the battery door, so there's a small gap.
Same with the Hoage , outside of the rubber pad there has to be a gap.
The STC looks really good, thanks for the write up.
The Hoage is priced better for me and the pad seem to cover all of the area around the tripod socket, so eyeing up that right now. Could always put a small strip outside the padded area if you want.
The two small strips on the Fittest worry me.

Last edited:
Real Name
M@
I think I'll like having it a lot... it feels good with the 12-40 on the camera. It'll feel good when the 12-100 I just ordered gets in!

I'll be doing a bit of a road trip in late September... the 12-100 will be in my traveling kit.

Real Name
Walter
I think I'll like having it a lot... it feels good with the 12-40 on the camera. It'll feel good when the 12-100 I just ordered gets in!

I'll be doing a bit of a road trip in late September... the 12-100 will be in my traveling kit.

The 12-100 is my main travel kit lens. An accessory grip, no matter which one, makes the 5.3 easier to handle with lenses like the 12-100. When I got the 5.3, I considered getting the 12-45 f4 because it would be a better match. But, since I already have the 12-100, I decided to get an accessory grip instead of buying a new lens. Even though the FOGRIP costs more than the Haoge, it might be worth it because of its extra features, better fit and finish. They also have a folding vertical grip for the EM1.2/3 and I'm considering that too. My current L-bracket doesn't fit the 1.3 very well.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom