Aftermarket grip for Em5 mkiii

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
That link doesn't exist for me, but this one looks like the same grip:
I just used this link to buy the grip - $35. Seems like a good deal. Like @Holoholo55 , I also was influenced by the idea that with the bottom plate in place it might help the stability of the worrisome tripod socket. I probably will not leave the plate always on the camera, but just put the plate on as the normal way I mount the camera on a tripod - i.e. a REALLY big quick release plate.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I just used this link to buy the grip - $35. Seems like a good deal. Like @Holoholo55 , I also was influenced by the idea that with the bottom plate in place it might help the stability of the worrisome tripod socket. I probably will not leave the plate always on the camera, but just put the plate on as the normal way I mount the camera on a tripod - i.e. a REALLY big quick release plate.
Let us know how that works out for you.

I check time to time and found the first grip with L bracket in ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174281662325
I like this one.

That link doesn't exist for me, but this one looks like the same grip:
And this one too.

I may have a preference for the first as the grip seems less bulky.
However, the L plate on the side could be a problem for the articulated screen.

The second one seems more sophisticated, but also a lot bulkier.

I already bought a "3-legged thing ellie short" which does the job... however it's already limitated the articulated screen movements... (grrr I'd prefered my E-M10 tilt screen, so much...)
When I have my camera on a tripod and horizontal orientation, I usually want to have the LCD screen in a horizontal position to have a nice view on it from above - I'm tall, and taller than my tripod.
I cannot do it with the Ellie Short L-plate.
(it's already difficult to do without a L-plate if you want to use a remote release cable)

I would be interested on some real reviews of anyone of this custom L-plates.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I will check it out as soon as I get it (your 2nd link). It actually shipped yesterday (from Hong Kong), but arrival is estimated as June 15 - July 8. I don't know how long things actually take. I'm glad you mentioned about the LCD screen because I haven't thought about that much (as far as being blocked, etc).

I also bought the 3-legged thing ellie short bracket. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't now that I've ordered this custom one. The thing is, I'm hoping that the custom one will lock the tripod hole in place nicely by providing a platform for it to rest firmly on. This would be much more likely with a custom-fitted bracket than a universal one (which I bought before I knew about this tripod hole mount issue). Anyway, I have high hopes...

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I like this one.

And this one too.

I may have a preference for the first as the grip seems less bulky.
However, the L plate on the side could be a problem for the articulated screen.

The second one seems more sophisticated, but also a lot bulkier.

I already bought a "3-legged thing ellie short" which does the job... however it's already limitated the articulated screen movements... (grrr I'd prefered my E-M10 tilt screen, so much...)
When I have my camera on a tripod and horizontal orientation, I usually want to have the LCD screen in a horizontal position to have a nice view on it from above - I'm tall, and taller than my tripod.
I cannot do it with the Ellie Short L-plate.
(it's already difficult to do without a L-plate if you want to use a remote release cable)

I agree. The Haoge grip seems more streamlined and more robust. The Fittest grip has more features, but the vertical L-plate seems kind of oversized and I think it might get in the way. The material seems a little thin too. Although, for everyday use, I probably would remove the vertical plate and keep it handy in case I need it. I have a bit more confidence in the Haoge grip. I really like the STC FOGRIP, but the cost and shipping are kinda high. Wish Amazon carried it, so we could save on shipping. :)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have one of these Fittest brackets for my E-M10II. It is similar to the one for the E-M5III on Ebay, except the E-M10 vertical l-bracket section does not move (no slider) and it doesn't have all those holes. I think the slide mechanism might be helpful with threading cables thru the area (you can leave some room between it and the body). Generally, I have liked the E-M10II version. Fit and finish are excellent.

One thing that made me choose the Fittest over the other one is that the Fittest has those raised "guards" in front of the camera body (above where it says "Fittest" to the right of the mounting bolt, and another one to the left). It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as though there might be a little raised area all along that area between those 2 higher guards. Even if not, I'm thinking that that arrangement with the 2 guards on either side might hold the camera more firmly in place than just a flush plate.

I'm not really buying this for the grip (I didn't use it on the E-M10II version either) - adds too much weight. On the E-M10II I just used it for vertical shooting (panos mostly), and also sometimes just because having the plate on the bottom gave more of a grip for the right hand to hold onto. The grip is much better on the E-M5III, but the tripod mounting issue is another reason to consider this bracket, I think.

I think i never use the tripod mount on such plates, as it's an arca base, and I don't like to attach straps & other things like that to the tripod mount.
Regarding the grip part, I would have liked being optional, but if you remove it you still have the base plate below it.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I agree. The Haoge grip seems more streamlined and more robust. The Fittest grip has more features, but the vertical L-plate seems kind of oversized and I think it might get in the way. The material seems a little thin too. Although, for everyday use, I probably would remove the vertical plate and keep it handy in case I need it. I have a bit more confidence in the Haoge grip. I really like the STC FOGRIP, but the cost and shipping are kinda high. Wish Amazon carried it, so we could save on shipping. :)
I just ordered the Haoge grip for the 5.3. Got tired of waiting for the FOGRIP to show up at Amazon. It'll take some time to get here, but such is life for anything from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184290604690

Attachments

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I just ordered the Haoge grip for the 5.3. Got tired of waiting for the FOGRIP to show up at Amazon. It'll take some time to get here, but such is life for anything from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184290604690
Well, we have a race going over who gets their competing grips first! I ordered mine awhile ago (see above), and am supposed to receive it (from China) Jun 15 - Wed, Jul 08. The excitement builds! Get a grip!! :dance4:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Well, we have a race going over who gets their competing grips first! I ordered mine awhile ago (see above), and am supposed to receive it (from China) Jun 15 - Wed, Jul 08. The excitement builds! Get a grip!! :dance4:
I think you have an insurmountable lead. Let's see some pics of it mounted and in use on your camera and your review!

Last edited:
Real Name
[email protected]
Well, I just returned from a road trip where I took my E-M5 MkIII and 3 lenses - the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 el-cheapo (which is phenomenal for its price!), and the 17 f/1.8.

I took a steam train ride in Colorado and used the bare 5mkIII with the 12-40 and can say the grip is uncomfortable with a heavier lens like that. I have the Oly grip, but didn't bring it with. I was wishing I had! With the other lenses being so much lighter the camera is much easier to handle with the lighter lenses.

This thread had me considering going halfway with a smaller dumb grip... I almost ordered one off of eBay, but most were shipping from China and probably wouldn't have come in on time. So I may consider getting a 'dumb' grip to leave on the camera pretty much full time. I'll occasionally switch to the Oly grip if I'm definitely going to use a heavier lens most of the time.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
I tend to agree with a comment I saw once -

If you need a grip for the EM5 or 10 then you should have bought an EM1 (insert the i, ii, iii as required)

Not helpful I know but it's true in so many cases.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich

If you need a grip for the EM5 or 10 then you should have bought an EM1 (insert the i, ii, iii as required)

I know what you mean, but I don't really agree. I bought a Fittest grip for my E-M10II (that looks very much like the one shown for the E-M5III above, except with a non-adjustable vertical bracket), and found that the shutter button was too hard to reach with the full grip on it.

But what worked really well was removing the grip part, leaving just the base plate (and sometimes leaving the vertical bracket on the opposite side if I was going to be doing verticals). Just the base plate on the E-M10II gave a nice grippy part to nestle into your palm. So, in other words, you have more flexibility with the bracket.

Also, of course, for me the full bracket made the E-M10II too damn heavy.

I actually like the built-in grip on the E-M5III pretty well, even for use with say the 75-300. Anyway, I should be getting the bracket I ordered (mentioned above) any day now. Tracking shows that it passed customs about 5 days ago. What are they doing with it?!? The pics above make it look pretty good... I suspect that if I use it I'll wind up using it as I did before, with no grip but just the bottom plate and occasionally the vertical bracket part.

Last edited:
It would be correct if the E-M1s had an Arca L-plate included, which they don't.
And if you could remove the grip when you want to be light (for me, 90% of the time, at least).

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Unless you can't use the E-m1 (or already have one). As I have posted many times, I need to wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors in daylight due to migraines. The LCD viewfinder used in the E-m10 mark I, E-m5 mark I/II, E-m1 mark I/II, and E-m1x does not work well when you use polarized sunglasses and shoot in landscape orientation (most of the cameras distorts the images, but the E-m5 mark II is completely opaque).

So in 2019, I typically carried two cameras: E-m10 mark II for shooting in sunny weather (E-m10 mark II has an OLED viewfinder) and E-m1 mark I for shooting in wet conditions (with a dry bag to hold the E-m10 mark II). Now that the E-m5 mark III came out, I have gone for that, since it has the OLED viewfinder, weather sealing, and sensor shift stabilization. At times though I wish I had a battery grip for the E-m5 mark III.

Generally I prefer not using a grip (so the E-m1x was never a camera I would buy), but there are times when I'm either using a long lens for most of the day, or I need to have more power when I prefer to have the grip. I would have preferred in Olympus had allowed the HLD-8 (or a successor) on the E-m5 mark III, particularly as the HLD-8 gave a headphone jack for video and an external power option.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Unless you can't use the E-m1 (or already have one). As I have posted many times, I need to wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors in daylight due to migraines. The LCD viewfinder used in the E-m10 mark I, E-m5 mark I/II, E-m1 mark I/II, and E-m1x does not work well when you use polarized sunglasses and shoot in landscape orientation (most of the cameras distorts the images, but the E-m5 mark II is completely opaque).
BTW, the EM1 III viewfinder is not compatible with polarized sunglasses either. The EM5 III is.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
It would be correct if the E-M1s had an Arca L-plate included, which they don't.
And if you could remove the grip when you want to be light (for me, 90% of the time, at least).
I originally got an L-bracket because it would help with panoramic and portrait shots. My friend said the accessory grip improves his control when he's using a longer lens on his 5.3, and the extension below the camera base gives his pinky a comfortable place to hold. And, you get the Arca-Swiss flanges in both planes. I think the bracket spreads out the stress on the tripod mount on the camera, which has broken in some cases. See this thread. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/em5-iii-tripod-thread-breaking.108404/

So, I think there are multiple benefits to having the bracket. As others have said, if you want to reduce size and weight, you can take off the grip and vertical plate. If you keep them handy along with an Allen wrench, you can always put them back when needed. I would probably take the vertical off.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BTW, the EM1 III viewfinder is not compatible with polarized sunglasses either. The EM5 III is.
Yes, I forgot to list the E-m1 mark III in the list. I actually waited until I could get my hands on the E-m1 mark III before buying the E-m5 mark III, because some of the initial leaks/chatter mentioned an improved viewfinder. Well that chatter was wrong, it is the same viewfinder as in the E-m1 mark II.

I had mentally budgeted enough to buy the E-m1 mark III, and when it came down, and I picked the E-m5 mark III due to the viewfinder, I decided to also buy a refurbished 12-200mm f/3.5-6.3 at the Olympus outlet sale. For a walk-around lens, the 12-200mm now replaces the 14-150mm mark II that I had previously used, but the 12-200mm is heavy enough that I could see the benefit of a larger grip.

However, I still think the Olympus grip price is too high for what it is. If it had an extra battery, headphone support, and an external power plug like the HLD-8, it would be worth the price.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom