1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Aftermarket BLS-5 Batteries?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PaulGiz, Jan 6, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Oly version is $60. Aftermarkets $10. Is Olympus chiipped for reporting or something?

Anybody have any experience with aftermarket?

Don't want to risk damaging camera, but I always like to have a couple of extra batteries in my pocket. I'll spend $100+ (for 2) if I have to, but don't really want to.

P.

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I've always had wonderful success with 3rd party batteries. I always by them from batteries on the web rather than ebay. First thing I look for is the AmpHours (mAh) rating. I select the highest rated AmpHours: 1200 mAh is better than 900mAh. In this case the 1200 provides 1/3 more shooting time. Always a plus.

If I don't already have an extra charger, I tend to buy a package with 1-2 batteries plus a charger with interchangeable AC / 12V auto adapter.

batteries.com/
    bestbatt.com

3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I have a set of third party batteries. I only use them in the battery grip and they've worked pretty well so far.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Back in 2010 companies in Japan had to change their rechargeable batteries and chargers due to a new regulation. The clone manufacturers don't have to follow this regulation since they aren't made in Japan, so they can produce cheaper products.

As for mA ratings, in past tests third party batteries have been caught lying about the ratings. Also some people have had issues with the batteries swelling in the camera.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    This link about the The Worldwide Lithium Ion Battery Industry confirms what I always thought about the 3rd party battery business. The batteries all work, but the reliability and maybe the safety will depend on where your seller gets his stock.

So it's probably better to buy from a bigger seller on amazon than an unknown on ebay. I prefer to buy batteries that come in blister packs too, Since the packaging isn't a cardboard box, maybe they come from a decent maker.

By the way, the company that made the above link, I have a BLS1 battery from them that has swelled up. Not using it any more.