1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Aftermarket battery equivilent to Oly BLS-5.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by johnny9fingers, Feb 25, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

The E-PL2 takes Olys new BLS-5 battery. They are hard to find, are there any other equivilent batteries available?

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    The BLS-1 and its third party equivalents will work in the E-PL2 as well, but Olympus don't recommend it. The extra contact on the BLS-5 allows it to take over the control of its charger, and gives the device using it more information on its state.

Horse's mouth (PDF)

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The thing is, E-PL2 doesn't use the extra contact in any way - you can verify it yourself by looking into the camera's battery compartment. It has only 3 pins.

4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Olympus' recommendation is probably due to regulatory changes for batteries in some countries. Me, I'd be perfectly happy to get a load of BLS-1 clones. I'd even charge them in the BCS-5, because it'll probably cut out at the correct voltage just like a dumb one, if that fourth contact isn't used.

According to this review by Kirk Tuck, Olympus sent him his review model with a BLS-1 fitted. Can't be that worrisome, then.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes, Olympus must be commended for making their new camera backwards-compatible with the old battery (and probably vice versa), because Panasonic, in their infinite stupidity, decided to make batteries in their new cameras (GH2 and GF2) not only incompatible with the old one, but also incompatible with each other. Oh, by the way, they changed their USB cables, too. I think whoever is responsible for these decisions should be fired immediately for damaging Panasonic's credibility beyond repair.

6. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Brianetta & Stratokaster for the battery info. The Best Buy in Duluth has them in stock so I'm on my way to pick one up. I will still get a couple BLS 5 batteries, but until then the BLS 1 will keep me clickin away....
    Thanks again....
    John

7. Roy van Kuik

Roy van Kuik New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2012
    Got my aftermarket BLS-5

Just got my BLS-5 from Mobile Supplies it's 900mAh (a little less than olympus).

Be aware with charging the BLS-1 and BLS-5 they have different chargers...