Aftermarket batteries?

ddb

Mu-43 Regular
I live in a little town of 600 people in the beaut
I just got my G1 a few days ago and am finding the need for an extra battery. An original Panasonic battery is over $50 at B&H but aftermarket ones are around $20 on ebay. Looking at the specs on the ebay ones, they are not the same specs as the original. The voltage is 7.4V rather than the original 7.2V. Is this safe? Is anyone using these cheaper batteries with good results? I sure don't want to ruin a new camera.

franklyspeaking

Mu-43 Regular
It's probably safe but if you have the same experience with aftermarket batteries that I've had you'll find they do not have an equivalent mah (mili amp hour) rating which results in them not lasting as long between charges. Even if they state they are higher mah than the stock battery they typically aren't. Battery manufactures out of china will stamp or label a battery with whatever mah rating the customer asks for regardless of it's actual capabilities.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Firmware after 1.3 blocks 3rd party batteries but it didn't take long for the battery makers to get around that. I'm using one with FW1.5 with no probs. It is from eBay and they guarantee it will work. Not sure about future upgrades tho'. Have a look here but email them first to check.

Miles

Mu-43 Rookie
I bought one ...

Just to share ...
I bought one in germany and it works perfectly, i was afraid for the compatibility with new firmware (so when I was waiting for delivery I downloaded the firmware hack tool ... but it was not needed :biggrin:)
I am swapping now the batteries and did not see any difference in capacity ...
I just think Panasonic is asking to much !!

Miles

FYI : Battery for Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (Li-Ion) - Mobile-Laden

Michael E

Mu-43 Rookie
I've just bought an ebay one for £9 [UK] $13 for my GF1. The auction says it will work with latest firmware, which it does. But I won't rush to update the firware unless there's a life-changing reason to do so.

Locster

Mu-43 Regular
I use a cheap one from eBay on my GF1 and it's all good. I use it as a backup to my 2 Panasonic ones though to help me finish off the rest of a outing if I were to run out of juice. It definitely doesn't hold as much charge as the real deal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom