Aftermarket Batteries vs Original Panasonic Shootout

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JonasL, Jan 16, 2015.

1. JonasL

JonasL New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Jonas Laustrup
    HI Guys.
    I have made a little test/review/comparison between the original Panasonic GH3/GH4 battery and a cheap alternative from ebay branded Patona.

A number of various tests is performed.
    - The weight of the batteries
    - Temperatur sensor not present in Patona battery
    - The Batterylife is roughly 16% better on the original Panasonic battery. Tested by performing 3 timelapses in identical conditions.

The part no. of the original Panasonic battery is DMW-BLF-19E

Link to Patona Battery Package at eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310795584302?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Enjoy the shootout:

http://youtu.be/qhhRkpyGKB4

• Like Like x 3
  2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I like that your testing method is done under consistent replicable conditions. It's more scientific than people who guesstimate whether one battery is better than another, based on general usage.

Interesting that the generic is heavier but does not provide as much capacity. I guess weight does not truly indicate whether one battery is better than another.

4. JonasL

JonasL New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Jonas Laustrup
    Thanks for the feedback! I like being consistent, and producing reliable results :)

I think the explanation lies in the discharge curve of the two batteries. Typically, the cheaper batteries has a steeper discharge curve, and will hit the cut-off voltage (In this example 6.0-7.0v) before the original battery.
    I have tried to examplify with this graph, its not an actual measurement, but it shows what the discharge curve does. The cheap battery hits 7.0v with fewer mAh's consumed, but both batteries have the same overall capacity...

Attached Files:

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    But one of your generics also terminates at 6.9V but still provides less shots than the panasonic.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've come to the conclusion that there isn't an aftermarket battery for Olympus that performs anywhere near as well as genuine. I got eBay scammed, before their new policy, thinking I'd bought a genuine Olympus battery ($75 from memory) and it turned out to be a fake. It lasts longer than the el-cheapo ones I got before that, but still not comparable to the genuine battery. I'm not sure why you can't get aftermarket batteries that work well, considering that for any other product, cars, torches, etc that use batteries, you can get reliable and long-lasting batteries that aren't OEM.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have to agree here. Battery chargers may be something else. Some thoughts from Thom Hogan: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/some-current-m43-impression.html

"Battery — Most of the time I wasn’t in my snap away mode, though there were times when I was shooting for relatively long periods basically as fast as I could. Running that EVF for long periods of time tends to be a battery drainer, so I had probably two sessions that became multiple battery sessions. The good news is that the E-M1 is pretty good at battery handling, though it’s not DSLR like. Since I knew that in advance, I just brought lots of batteries and a multiple battery charger. One thing I want to point out: that’s not an Olympus charger. Olympus battery chargers tend to be amongst the slowest to recharge a battery (based on amps/hour) that I’ve ever seen for camera gear. The Watson chargers that B&H sells charge the same battery far faster in my experience. I’m sure there are other third party chargers that do, too. This isn’t something you should ignore in your planning. Sometimes you run through more batteries than you expect to and a slow charger can put you in a cycle of dwindling fresh batteries, especially if power is not present 100% of the time."

Now, I don't know if charging genuine OEM batteries faster than the OEM charger does is good for battery life and/or safety. But it's worth thinking about.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    This is a pretty good read on battery charging, amongst other things: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/all_about_chargers. I'm kind of happy to stick with the OEM charger, as it doesn't take that long to charge a battery that's indicating low in the camera (certainly not much more than an hour).

9. JonasL

JonasL New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Jonas Laustrup
    Yes, because of the discharge curve. :smile:

If you take a close look, you will se that the steeper discharge curve hits 6.9v with less mAh "produced" than the original one. Again, the image is just for reference, not the actual discharge curves of the Patona and panasonic batteries. If the batteries were completely discharged the capacity of the Patona might be the same (or better, due to more weight) but if it is delivered from lower quality lithium-ion cells, the voltage will drop lower before the original high quality lithium-ion cells.