After years of gear jumping - I finally know my workflow and chosen gear!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Ramirez, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I've switched systems many times; Nikon, Fujifilm, m4/3:s, 4/3:s and Sony.
    I have a "hybrid" photo/video business today.
    At last I got wiser concerning my workflow and gear that I need.
    You can read in my signature what gear I have today.

Tomorrow I'm photographing a funeral, the family don't want a noisy camera, that rules the Nikon out. I need to be almost invisible, the E-M1 has some sound but is much smaller than the FX Nikon. I'm going to use E-M1 with m.zuiko 45 f1.8 and Fujifilm X100s with WCL-X100 for that wide 28 eq. frame.

When I think about it, these are my typical customers; the ones that want discreet work. The other typical customers I have are the ones that want video. There I have the GH4.

I got the Nikon for the traditional photographing stuff. But I don't like the workflow with it.
    For full frame I have the Sony A7II whenever I need full frame. The Sony is also one of the video cameras that I use for wedding filming.

The E-M1 with RAW editing in camera and Wi-Fi is my preferred way of working. I've done that before with Fuji X100s (in camera RAW editing). This gives me a much faster workflow, doing JPG:s in camera and at least from E-M1 I can send the photos to my iPad. It means that I can pretty fast deliver the photos digitally to the customer. It is really a way to work faster and corresponds to our time. I'm done with the long editing on the computer!

I've have one thing that I miss in my m4/3 system; a good telephoto lens that works inside.
    I've decided to use the gear that I want to use and that quickens my workflow. I'll sell my Nikon system, I never use it with my heart... And the workflow slows me down...
    I'll get the m.zuiko 40-150 f2.8 and I'm done. I then have what I want and need!

I've seen with my own eyes what different systems provides in photographic IQ and efficiency.
    m4/3:s with right lenses (with the photographer succeeding in making photos!) provides what customers want and what I as photographer want! I don't need super thin DOF, those seldom succeeds as photos.

And I prefer mirrorless over traditional DSLR:s. I like the EVF, the smaller build... For me the mirrorless systems is the way forward.

Next week my Nikon system goes, and I get m.zuiko 40-150 for my tele needs.

The brand jumping has stopped, I finally see what I truly want and need. To get that wisdom you usually goes through many systems and learn that the grass isn't greener on the neighbors lawn.
    • Like Like x 9
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Someone wants photographs of a funeral?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It's very common. The family's come together. They want to remember. The task is to try to make photos that have a sense of comfort within them. It is a task that needs to be done carefully.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    You'll love the 40-150mm f2.8. It's a real workhorse of a lens and very sharp. Consider the 1.4TC as well for the extra reach without buying another bulky lens.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Concur. I once got a request to find a videographer to shoot a family funeral. I've shot family (my own) group photos at funerals too. There are few occasions when multiple generations of family get together, usually weddings and funerals. They want to memorialize not only who passed on, but also those still alive. Like I often hear, "If it weren't for _____'s funeral, we'd hardly see the family." Family members, especially those who couldn't make it, are grateful for the photos.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For similar reasons, I've done post funeral group portraits. But full event coverage seems odd.
  7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, it's not me who decides what they want. They want me to follow just the key points during the service. I'm not going "machine gun"-style. I'm staying behind. Taking photos with the silent Fuji X100s in critical parts of the service. When I'm well behind I'm gonna use E-M1 with m.zuiko 45, I wish I had the 75 but I'll crop a little later. They are not asking for the wall size pics so some cropping is ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Think I'm gonna add 1.4TC later on if I need it. Gonna test only the lens first. I don't often need longer than 300mm (in full frame eq.).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    FWIW, I much prefer to have a faster, sharper, and less expensive O75/1.8 + S135/2.0 combo over an O40-150/2.8 for indoor use.

The 75 can be had around here in the $500s pretty regularly. Easily my most-used "stage" lens for events.
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    With silent shutter EM1 has no sound.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Forgot about that, the silent shutter will help me a lot during the funeral.
  12. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I shot some pre- and post-funeral shots for a friend recently. She wanted some images to remember who came, what the casket looked like (United States Navy emblem), etc.
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sometime funerals are the only time extended family get together, including many older relatives who many not be around much longer themselves. Also, while some people might view it as strange, pictures of the deceased (if an open casket wake/funeral), sometimes these are the only or very few shots of that person anyone ever got, that person will never be seen again, and after the shock of a death and the process of burying them is over, close relatives often appreciate those final shots of a loved one before they are out of site forever.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, maybe it's a UK/US cultural thing. I've never seen or heard of anyone taking photographs at a funeral here in the UK, let alone hiring someone to mingle with the "guests" during the proceedings. Still, I can see the logic of it - but it just feels odd.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It is true that the "open casket" wake or funeral is a rather region specific thing. I have heard that people outside the USA who have been invited to a US wake/Funeral/"viewing" are often kind of shocked that the body is on display when that sort of thing is unheard of from their home region.
  16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I understand your viewpoint.

The funeral photography went really good. I was silent like a mouse, both E-M1 and Fuji X100s on silent mode. I did not walk around. I was up on a balcony during the ceremony. It was a small church so the m.zuiko 45 f1.8 was enough for tele and the wide conversion lens was mounted on X100s (about 28mm in 35 format).

When we were at the graveyard I used Panny 35-100 f4.5-5.6 and X100s. I could stand a bit away.

Later on after the service was over they had a moment to remember the deceased. Here I just sat down and took the photos with the same lens combination.
    Nobody was disturbed. Here I did not use EVF up to my eye, just used the LCD screen on both cameras. I did compose everything I needed to before lifting up the camera (focus point on the right place etc.)
    I was later told that they appreciated my careful style.

I've checked the images and they turned out really good.

It was an experience that I teached me much. I definitely will do it again if asked.

Not as stressful as a wedding due to the slow pace.
  17. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Tomorrow I'll get my m.zuiko 40-150 f2.8 lens. I'll ditch all my Nikon gear as that gear was cumbersome for me, the workflow also took too long. It has killed the joy of photography for me. (For others Nikon FX works, it's not a "what is better" thread")

I've just realized that I have become more an more involved in hybrid than even before. The weddings I do is mostly as videographer and sometimes combined as both video- and photographer.

To me the mirrorless cameras provide a faster workflow as I use my mirrorless systems for both videos and photos.

Also the mobility aspect of it all... The lighter gear is a joy to use.

I won't miss full frame as my Sony A7II provides that when needed.

Looking forward to a joyful renewal of photography lust with everything focused on the mirrorless systems I have!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I've been called upon to 'video' funerals twice in the last couple of years, including one for the North Yorkshire Police where an officer was killed while on duty (that also made the TV news, but the news crews could only film outside, we were tasked with capturing the entire ceremony).
  19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Have a look at the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 if it's available and you have the time, if the increased range of the 40-150mm wasn't needed the smaller form factor could be a good trade. It also has the zoom rings in the same direction as Nikon, this has never seemed like a big deal to me however I know several people who hate the "wrong" direction (Olympus is reversed).

Compact Camera Meter
  20. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Also common here in the Balkan region. People want to remember some things and people, as most of the time you're not exactly... how to put it... "there"