1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

After using the X100T, I think I may want to migrate completely to Fuji.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by VinVin, Feb 26, 2015.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I posted this over at the Fujixspot forums too but I kinda want opinions from both sides.

It's been a couple of weeks since I got my x100t (well maybe around two weeks) and I am absolutely in love with it, I love the way it feels in hand, the way it renders, the colours, everything!
    Now because of this I am considering selling my Micro Four Thirds and Nikon gear in order to fund the Fuji ILC system in hopes to get the following:

XPro1 Body/XE2 with 18-55 Kit Lens
    XF 14mm 2.8
    XF 35mm 1.4
    XF 56mm 1.2
    SLR Magic 23mm 1.7

If I do end up selling my Nikon and m43 gear, this is what I will be selling:

Nikon D80 with Batter Grip and 2 Batteries
    Nikon SB-800 Flash
    AF-S Nikkor DX 18-200 G VR
    AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Olympus EP1 with custom made metal body grip
    Olympus EP3
    Olympus VF-3
    Olympus 14-42mm (first gen)
    Olympus 14-42mm IIR
    Olympus 40-150mm IIR
    Olympus 17mm 2.8
    Olympus 17mm 1.8
    Olympus 45mm 1.8
    Olympus 15mm f8 BCL
    Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye
    2x CCTV Lenses (25mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.7) with 2x adapters
    Nissin Di-466 Flash for m4/3
    and a bunch of accessories, mainly adapters.

so... Should I do it? I'm very much undecided right now, and it's giving me a headache.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated!

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Have you thought to try more current Oly or Pany bodies and lenses? EP1 and EP3 are quite outdated..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think it depends a lot on what you shoot. In my opinion Fuji's AF isn't there yet for fast moving subjects (especially on the older bodies like the X-E1 and X-Pro 1) and as such, I've been reluctant to move full time to the Fuji system. I have an X100S and love shooting with it, but it can definitely be frustrating at some times (I think the X100T would be an improvement). I find that I really dislike the way the X-Trans sensor and current processing software available handles fine detail so I wouldn't want the Fuji system for landscapes. I tend to use my X100S as a people and snapshot camera and use m43 for the rest. As I shoot exclusively with prime lenses, I find the fast m43 lenses to offer a big size/weight advantage over the Fuji system as well. Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I have considered this, but currently I am only considering reallocating the "money" worth I already have in gear in order to try something new. As it stands I understand that the EP1 and EP3 are older, meaning they have lost most of their value either way.

My Nikon gear was what I started off with and to be honest I loved it and the 18-200 was just everything I needed at that point but the last year it has only come out to play twice, once was my grandmothers birthday party and the other was my cousins wedding. At the same time I know that the nikon gear won't fetch me much either.

To be honest I have always wanted an OMD but I haven't had much time to actually research into all the versions lately so I don't even know where to start. I have taken what I believe are fairly good pictures with my Oly kit but I have noticed a lot of challenges in low light. If I continue with Micro four thirds I will most likely stay with Olympus and not move over to Panasonic, I have tried a few of their bodies and I just don't get along well with them.

And I guess, the fuji's have always been something I've been feening after haha

5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Can't agree more.

6. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I don't think I have ever really taken any pictures of fast moving subjects. I don't really use AF very often, my gear is almost always in MF mode though I will admit having the ability to do extremely fast AF is something thats better to have than not. Also thanks for pointing out the landscape issue you have, as I do landscapes quite often, maybe that's something I should look into.

Thanks Eric, in the past while you have given me a lot of good advice and a lot to ponder in terms of what I need particularly.

It's frustrating because as much as I loved my Nikon stuff, they produce great pictures, it's too heavy and big to lug around all day (especially if you add in all my non-nikon F mount stuff). As for the Olympus, I have created some of my best work with it, but the low light issues really bother me. More than anything I'm just wondering if it's worth it for me to invest into one system solely, as opposed to being divested between the Nikon and the Oly. My X100 stays with me at all times now so the main separation is between Nikon and Oly.

Perhaps I should do a bit more research before I make the decision, maybe I'll end up selling the Nikon stuff and getting a newer generation Oly Body and perhaps another lens. I dunno... we'll see

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    For that matter so is the D80, even older in fact. The D80 was still a CCD sensor.

Unless you shoot sports / action (where the tracking of the older D80 might still be good) I might sell the Nikon stuff and the E-P1 for an E-M10 or E-P5 / E-PL7. You could replace the 18-200 with one of the 14-140/150 options if you use that often enough.

I tried the lower end Fuji stuff (X-M1) and found it OK but it did feel slow so I came back to m4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Moving to new system won't save you any dough, quite the opposite...

EM1 is great pro-level camera (love its EVF!) and EM10 is its neat little/budget brother. EM5 is still good too, especially with current used prices below $400.
    Many users here also like GX7 too.
    Not sure if you have a chance to handle any of those, but I would suggest to do it before jumping to other system. I had EP2, EPL3, EPL5, EP5 in the past and now EM10 and GM1 and cameras evolved a lot since EP1/EP3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I went from a G3 to a X-E1 and couldn't be happier. Feels like an extension of my hand. But part of the reason is the physical controls (shutter dial, aperture ring, etc) and I also have a large amount of film glass that gives me a bit more of the intended viewpoint.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I took a few shots on my memory card using an XT1 in a camera store. When I got home I looked at the images in LR and I thought "wow, this thing is fantastic at noise control at high ISO compared to u43". However, I did some more peeking and I discovered that the Fuji images had NR in the raw files that was impossible to turn off resulting in fairly soft images. Further peeking revealed some odd false detail in lower ISO shots too.

Net, net - I think the xtrans sensor has some issues (at least with raws in LR). Looking at the size and price of the Fuji lenses was the final thing that stopped me dipping my toe into the Fuji waters.

Personally, I think you should look to upgrading to a body with the latest 16Mp sensor (many of which are available quite cheaply now) before you spend a fortune on a Fuji system.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You should try out the Fujis first, and make sure to compare the size to m43, if size is important to you.

if you shoot RAW, you should work with the Fuji RAW and m43 RAW, as the Fuji RAW requires some tricks, and benefits most from software other than Lightroom

If at the end of testing you really like Fuji better, then go for it. I've tried it twice myself, and found m43 more to my liking.

Happy shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One other high ISO trick Fujifilm uses is severely cheating on the ISO sensitivity. It might say ISO 6400, but you are getting shutter speeds like ISO 3200 on another camera. So of course it looks cleaner - It's not really shooting as high as it says it is.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My thoughts are that if you spent equivalent money on your M4/3 kit compared to your new Fuji kit, you'd get equivalent results. What is it that you feel you're missing in your kit right now?

The X-Pro 1 is also very outdated at this point, and I think you might find it a bit of a dog to use, at least compared to any of the newer M4/3 bodies. You might just want to sell off all your older bodies - you could probably find a used E-M5 for almost the same price as your EP1 and EP3. Likewise, you can convert the M4/3 kit zooms and any of the primes that you don't use very much, as well as your Nikon kit, and buy one of the newer 14-140 superzooms to replace it, and add whatever fast prime you think you think you're missing. If you like the Fuji 56/1.2, you might find that the 75mm/1.8, for instance, can give you similarly magical results.

You'd also be missing any telephoto in your Fuji kit. Fuji zoom lenses are a fair bit bulkier and heavier than the M4/3 versions.

Image quality wise, Fuji files have lower noise thanks to the baked in NR, but no better dynamic range, for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric

Its a fairly common scenario I think - I got tired of the size/weight and I sold my Canon 5DII and lenses once I got my X100S with the intent of moving to an all Fuji system. I also sold a few of my m43 lenses (the 20mm f1.7 as I felt the FL duplicated that of the X100S, and a couple others), but once I tried the X-T1 in store and looked at the lenses I would have wanted, the size of the system really crept up on me and eventually I ended up with just the X100S and a modest m43 kit.

Seeing as you're still shooting with the 12MP m43 bodies, you might consider picking up or renting a 16MP body with one of the newer sensors to see how you get on with the noise. I think my X100S is great through ISO6400 provided I'm shooting RAW, but in JPEG Fuji makes a mess of skin and fine detail above ISO3200. However, the G5 and G6 I've shot with AF far more reliably in the scenarios I need to use those ISOs. I realise you said you mainly focus manually so that may not matter to you. In any case, I wouldn't make a hasty decision.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Before completely going Fuji, spend some money and rent an EM1 and an X-E2/X-T1 and a lens. I made a similar leap as you did, going with the Fuji X-E1, 18/2, 35/1.4 and 55-200 zoom.

Sold all of that, got a Nikon Df and Oly OMD setup - wish I had done that in the first place. While the X100T is probably the best Fuji X camera out right now....the others are still behind in just about everything compared to m43. The only thing it has over m43 is a larger sensor. The IQ is really nice too. The bodies are still plenty glitchy(thankfully Fuji does frequent firmware updates). Fuji is making progress, but it is very slow.

The Oly 17/1.8 matches up pretty well with the Fuji 35/1.4 - AF on the Fuji is much slower and there are some issues with the fly by wire system they use, it is not as responsive as the Olympus. The Oly has the manual focus clutch, the Fuji does not. It really is a whole different mindset.

I'm honestly not trying to talk you out of it, you buy what your gut/head/heart tells you. Just do it with well informed research first.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Thanks everyone for your awesome input! I think I will listen to you guys and try out some of the newer Oly Bodies before I make a hasty decision that I may regret in the long run.

I have been wanting an OMD since it came out so I'll go test it out in store and see how I like to feel of it. Essentially though, my film gear will stay as it is and I will continue to use legacy as often as I do currently.

It's kind of sad to let the Nikon go as it was what I started with and I have built up quite a sentimental bond with it. However life goes on!

I think in retrospect this post is more of a way for me to get people to tell me to stop and think rather than anything else, I felt impulsive and needed someone to pull me back. To be honest I really have created some of my best and favorite pieces with my Oly kit.

So the what's what with the OMD's?

• Like Like x 2
  17. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    E-M1 - Flagship, weather-sealed, lots of customization, big bright EVF, very capable 16mp sensor, 5 axis IBIS, focus peaking, PDAF as well as CAF
    E-M5 II - Brand new, weather-sealed, new sensor-shift tech to create large raw files (on tripod), 5 axis IBIS, slightly smaller than E-M1, decent EVF, focus peaking, upgraded video specs
    E-M10 - baby brother to the E-M1, same sensor, no weather-sealing, decent EVF, 3 axis IBIS but still very cabable, smallest OMD - Best one (but that is my biased opinion;)), pop-up flash, focus peaking
    E-M5 - older model, but still capable, same sensor, weather-sealing, no focus peaking, 5 axis IBIS, slightly larger than E-M10

[Edit] I added the PDAF for the E-M1 - that's a biggie.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    E-M10 is the only OM-D that can use your current PEN batteries!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems like you were fond of the E-P series, having the E-P1 and E-P3. Don't dismiss the E-P5. It's basically an E-M5 where the Viewfinder is optional.

• Like Like x 1
  20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Make sure to try the E-M10 without AND with the optional grip. I use it both with and without depending on the lens but many never take it off.

One thing I really love about the OMDs, they handle just like the Nikon's. Dual dials on top and AF selection on the arrow pad. For the controls I use most often I don't have to think going back and forth any more than going between my pro body D800 and enthusiast body D750.

• Like Like x 1