1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

After Three Tripods, On the way for new ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:54 AM.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Good evening folks !!!

I would like to share my thoughts about a tripod. First, I mention I use OMD EM1 with oly PRO trinity. I use my tripod mainly about 70 % for Landscape, seascapes, Long exposures and 30% for travel

My first tripod was a small, light Sirui T005 aluminum. The main drawback was stability and not so good ballhead. I sold it.

The second one was a Vanguard Alta pro Aluminum. It was very stable but it was a heavy big choice. It wasn’t for me.

I ended up to use a Benro Travel Angel FTA28CV1 carbon. In general, I am very happy with it. Its very stable, not so heavy with nice ballhead. The only important complain is that it’s a Bulky Tripod. This drawback make difficult to load on my backpack.

In last days, I have the opportunity to handle 3 Legged panks billy Tripod. This tripod have a nice feeling, Good construction, Good weight and size. The ballhead is good buy nothing special. However, I think with this tripod I will not have significant improvement to weight and size.

Taking into consideration all these, I search internet and Sirui tripod t025 carbon catch my attention. Its definitely Light and compact. My main concern is the Stability(the most important factor ). I DON’T want to miss the stability which offers me my Benro. Finally the quality of ballhead is a critical factor.

I would like to hear your experience from Sirui T025 compare to bigger tripods like Berno. Moreover, I would appreciate any other suggestion.

I search a light,compact, STABLE tripod !!!

Thx a lot !!!

2. Dinobe

Dinobe Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Lochristi, Belgium
    From the 4 characteristics for a tripod: size, weight, stability and price you can only pick 3 of them at a time....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    My last tripod was the Sirui A-1005 in Aluminium. For compact length and weight. The carbon version was only just lighter and not worth the extra to me. The included Y-10 ball head is just OK. The leg twist locks are not as smooth as Manfrotto BeFree but I wanted the screw off leg to monopod option.

Now that Manfrotto have a travel version with a removeable leg I think I would lean that way. Mind you the heads on the BeFree are only just OK as well.

For a really god head on a travel tripod I think you will have to pay a lot of money.

I also have a BeFree with the lever locks on the legs. It is better built, but more expensive and does not fold down as small, and mine does not have the removebale leg.

For the money I paid the Sirui A-1005 in Aluminium for me was a good compromise for travel.

4. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 23, 2015
    I had similar "problem" last year as I was searching for new tripods.
    I wanted one for travel - light, small but still capable and one bigger and more capable, especially for macro.
    In the end I bought only the bigger one - Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT but I still want to buy the lighter one for which my choice was/is Rollei C5i Carbon (1.3 kg).
    Now they have even smaller (1.1 kg) and similarly capable model Rollei City Traveler XL but it has not "monopod mode" of older C5i.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Mu-43 Regular

I don't know how thick your wallet is but nothing worth its salt is cheap anymore; I bit the bullet years ago and bought a Gitzo mountaineer which is CF and made for backpacking... feather light, stable and QUALITY. Between the Gitzo and the awesome Fotopro CF, all bases are covered.

• Like Like x 1
  6. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    Forget the small SIRIUs if you need a stable tripod.

I would have a look at the 100x or 200x SIRUI line ...

If you have enough money, go for the carbon tripods.

I own two Velbon tripods which I like but if I had to buy a new one, I would opt for the SIRUI 2205E.
    • "E" because I like the "easy" fastener style.
    • "2205" it is compact enough for my backpack but very stable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I'll just add that in my limited experience with shopping for tripods, with "travel" sized models, you often do not gain as much in terms of weight savings when going from Aluminum to Carbon but you pay a fairly hefty price premium all the same. It seems only the normal (non-travel) sized Tripods do you really gain a decent weight reduction moving to the carbon models.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    RRS & Gitzo make light,compact, STABLE tripods - the best.

RRS is better; costs more; is harder to find used; owner is anti-LGBT

Gitzo is plenty good for most of us; is easier to find used; has poor parts/service in the US

Sirui is not all that bad really...

So, decide on your priorities and take your pick - I have 3 or 4 Gitzos, an old Benbo (not benro) and ballheads from RRS, Markins, AcraTech & the original Arca-Swiss

9. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    I have a Sirui t-025x and find it to be very nicely made. I'd agree it isn't the most stable, but with some weight hanging on the underside point it is pretty good.

I use it occasionally with an e-m1.1 and 40-150/2.8 and have had no stability problems. Only in a strong wind do I find it isn't as rigid as a burlier tripod; however the weight added in a bag as noted and/or not using the full leg extension (only extend 2 or 3 of the 4 sections) makes a huge difference.

If you're willing to have a waist'ish height tripod in windy conditions there is nothing so light and small but still a 'real' tripod. And if your tripod technique is good (remote release, delayed shutter) there will be no problem.

All that said most of the time I just use a Joby Gorilla Pod which is smaller and lighter still and super flexible.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM
  10. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I have read all your comments.I know the best solution would be a Gitzo or RRS. However they cost alot for me. Only a used I could buy. For this reason I search for cheaper solutions. I search on ebay, but I didn't find any used Gitzo. I Don't know if there is any other site for Europe with used tripods.
    The other solution I have my mind is to buy a cheap alum tripod and keep my Benro. But I think would be stupid to take me with the cheap one and let the expensive carbon at Home..

11. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    The thing about tripods are, 1) no one tripod can do it all, 2) each type has pros and cons, and 3) any tripod will have compromises, some more than others.

With that said, I have several, each for a different application. Video, Hiking, quick setup small, and lightweight compact. Each will be best for what it does. And Arca Swiss types for the various heads, except for the video head.

As for Sirui, I use a very similar tripod called Feisol CT3342 Tripod. Does well for heavy heads and cameras, lightweight, 3 section (fast), and a decent price. Not the smallest but very light for its payload, and stable. The compromises are: not as durable as Aluminum, Long, because of the flat base it's wide at the spider.

Hope this helps.

12. Johna

Johna Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2019
    A tripod I Won,t recommend is my pro Manffroto, fully extended it is 7 feet high and weighs 10 lbs. There is no model number on it but it will stand up in a gale.

13. hias

hias Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2016
    Bavaria
    Hias
    Go with 2 tripods... I did the same.
    A 3LT Billy for travel (yes, there may be lighter, way more compact tripods, but I HATE expanding hundreds of leg sections! 4 is my bearable maximum, and actually a stretch already). It's stable enough, head is ok, clamp too, big improvement over my old meFoto, no more wobbles.
    And a monstrous FLM CP30L3 Pro with a big and heavy FLM Head for "not travel" use. Well, actually it's not that heavy for it's size, without head I think it's 1700g. 3 leg sections, quick to set up and rock solid. I climb mountains with it, but won't ever take it on a flight. FLM also has a new lineup, may be interesting. Not as expensive as Gitzos or RRS, and very good quality.

I'd recommend both tripods.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.