After the wait, are you happy with the EPL-7 specs?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by letsgofishing, Aug 28, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  2. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    Already having an EM5 and an EPL-5, this camera is a little lackluster for me. Then again, I don't think I'm the target market. The only thing I don't like is that the flip screen flips all the way downward for "selfies," which is opposite of the EPL-5; wouldn't this prevent proper use of a tripod in case one needed to take a selfie or simply record video of oneself?
  3. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

It does, when I had my A57(which is an articulating display), and I need to shoot my self on a tri-pod, it wouldn't work as the display was essentially blocked. But, I guess they did it to be different from the Sony E mount cameras.
  4. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    I dont understand the point of the new BLS-50 battery.

It's good it's compatible with the BLS-5, BLS-1, but capacity has only increased 5.2% from 1150mAh to 1210mAh... maybe an extra 20 shots? Doesnt negate the need for a spare battery!
  5. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    There is no flash and it looks pretty much like every Pen I've ever seen. Nah, nothing really different happening here, nothing added that I need here from my P3's except for a few MP's and those I can live without. I'm not much impressed, and I would not buy one. The lack of flash is a total deal breaker for me when it comes to Pen models as I need the flash bracket open for the EVP if I need it. I will skip any Pen that doesn't have one. Honestly the last camera they've released that really appeals to me is the E-P3. I can skip the E-P5 too. I would like more MP's and the E-P3 design complete with flash and removable grip down the road but I realize likely I won't get it and will have to settle for my E-P3's with the way things are going...
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yawn.... so predictable. Same 16Mp sensor, IBIS from E-M10, same guts as pretty much every other Oly u43 camera. I really can't see the point of making such a big deal of the "selfie" screen either. I had an E-PL5 which did pretty much the same thing and never used it.

Adding the top dial is nice, but there isn't one on the rear anymore! Big opportunity lost IMHO.

So, not of interest to me (but then again, I'm not target market so I doubt Oly will care).
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm surprised that it doesn't have the high speed video modes.
  8. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I like the addition of the command/dial wheel around the shutter button.
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No electronic shutter. Same sensor as they've had for 2.5 years in the E-M5. I'll pass.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Very nice looking camera, but nothing of interest for me.
  11. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    One thing I don't understand are the arguments along the line of "well I have the EPL5, I don't need this, it's just like every other PEN." Well yeah, obviously. However the 2015 Toyota is almost exactly like the 2014 Toyota as well--just incremental changes there too. And I bet most people that have a 2014 Toyota won't buy a 2015 one just to get some new thing.

But you know, if you have an old Toyota that is seeing the age, or if you're just getting into the car market, or if you currently own a Chevrolet and are looking for a change; you might.

I like the idea of the dial around the shutter. In my opinion that's a big improvement over the real dial.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'll pass too....

It wasn't clear but I assume without a built in flash, there is no way to have the EVF attached AND control a wireless flash at the same time. I shoot in that matter a lot: E-PL1 + VF2 + FL300R + lens (lately 14-42 EZ) as my small kit. On board flash up (wireless TTL on) and the FL300R off camera held high with my left hand.
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Sigh... The EM-10 was already a very conservative product, this is even more so, and I think the silver EM1 is the lamest idea. Did Only get tired of pushing the envelope? This would have been a *very* interesting camera with PDAF or just about any creative feature.
  15. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Keeping the PEN "Lite" as a one dial camera suggests to me that there is a two dial PEN in the works, an E-P7 if you want. Probably using the guts of the E-M5 successor.
  16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    And if this camera "pushed the envelope" many EM1 owners would be up in arms. I think this camera looks pretty sweet. I'm not going to get one, but I already have one. I'm not going to buy a new car this year either.
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This camera is not targeted at many of us, but given the idea that it is targeted at a broader audience I really don't get why the screen flips down and why they didn't integrate the flash.

I see a fair amount of "groupie" shots, where camera is placed on table. This thing only works for hand-helds, which seems like a badly designed limitation.

For consumers the add-on flash is just a bad idea. Kind of ridiculous that Oly refuses to see the light on that one.

I imagine we'll be buying them up for $300 with 15% off during the New Years sale in Jan 2016.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Contrary to a lot of responses here, I think it's a smart product. People just getting into photography often ask me to recommend a M43 camera. This might be my new default answer. It's an EM10 in a smaller form factor, trading the EVF for $100 savings. It is the smallest M43 camera with real IBIS.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's an entry-ish level camera, I don't think we'll see too many exciting things debuting on it every time it's refreshed. Also, silver E-M1 is awesome, half my lenses are silver dang it. But it's introduction at this point is strange. If they didn't have the resources to launch with it, was it really worth it to release now?
  20. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Not sure what pricing is like over here, but that's shocking, given the price of the VF-4.

Although anything that gets more m43 cameras out there is a good thing for us.
    • Agree Agree x 1