After the GX1, nothing?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by laser8, May 14, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Before I start: I am very fond of the GX1. A great user interface, very customizable, perfect size and well made.

I do however have one critic: no matter how much I try not to, highlights get clipped here and then. I'd really love some more DR. Now, I see Oly's EP5: very customizable, looks well made as the GX1, and has two (or three) nice additions: from what I understand a consistently better sensor (which I'd like to have), 1/8000 SS (which I might find useful), IS (better to have it than not I guess).

I took a look at the Oly menus and they are a mess if compared to the Panasonic's, and I would not be that inclined to look at the EP5 if I saw something coming from Panasonic, but I'm not sure, so here's the question: in your opinion we can expect Panasonic to deliver something to match in the next year or so or I'd better think seriously about jumping ship?

thanks

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Are you shooting RAW or JPG? If you shoot RAW, then you will see the greater dynamic range of the Sony sensor in the Olympus. If you shoot JPG, then you won't. In fact, I find that when shooting JPGs, my OM-D clips more than my GX1.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I suspect they will be dropping the GX1. Now that the LF1 has a viewfinder built in, the GX1 is the only Panasonic camera using an external viewfinder. People who want a viewfinder will go to the G series and those who don't to the GF series. The GX is an odd man out now...

4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Just RAW. Since you have both (sensors) and can compare, underexposing the Olympus and lifting shadows gets you noticeably better results?

Never thought about it that way. I'm not a fan of dslr style bodies, and wonder if there is any sense in waiting for the GX2 much longer...

5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    It's what Panasonic needs to help tip the scales.

A GX with built-in finder and new sensor.

6. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That's also a possibility -- take a page from the LF1 and incorporate a small viewfinder.

I just don't see them continuing to produce external viewfinders for a single body.

7. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i don't really see Panasonic completely dropping the GX line without something similar to replace it. however, it may take some time. there was a little over 2 years before the GF1 (GF2,3 went in a different direction) got upgraded to the GX1 remember. the GX1 is going on 18 months now.
    if you aren't happy with the Oly offerings, I'd hold tight for a little while yet.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    GH3 is comparable to the Olympus. Same sensor ?
    From past history , Panasonic is very reluctant to put their best sensors into cheaper cameras, so it may be quite a wait for a smaller Gx1 type camera with Gh3 sensor.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    As an Lvf2 owner I'd be a little upset if it turned out that no future Panasonic cameras accepted it. At the same time, I do like the shape and idea of rangefinder style camera with built in finder.

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It would be nice if Panasonic builds a GX model with integrated EVF. It'll show Olympus that it's a model that enthusiasts crave.

11. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It should be possible to at least put one comparable to that in the LF-1 in a GX2. The LF1 is considerably smaller, so even allowing for the larger 4/3 sensor there should be room. They could leave the hotshoe on for external flash and further differentiate from the GF line.

12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Next model GX

Panasonic made it very clear that the GX1 was the start of a "new line" of cameras aimed at those who loved the original GF1 and wanted something a little bit more aimed at the enthusiast.

I would expect to see a replacement soon that will Up the anty and compete with the new Olympus EP-5 and offer equivalent capabilities. I would also expect it to have an upgraded sensor on board and possibly, a built in EVF but still retain it's small footprint and solid build.

I certainly loved my GF1, and my GX1 but felt the urge for more and that I found in the OMD and have no regrets making the transition - I still consider both Olympus & Panasonic to be a brother/sister act that is rapidly growing and evolving in both capability and popularity and all to our benefit.

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Here's the DxO graph comparing the OM-D to the GX1

The Olympus has about a 2 stop greater dynamic range at the cameras' base ISO. With both cameras set to the same exposure, the Olympus should retain more highlight data without clipping and more shadow detail without blocking up, so long as the contrast range of the scene was equal to, or greater than, the camera's dynamic range. With the GX1, one would have to underexpose, to retain highlights, and then bring up the shadows.

14. I never found the Panasonic menus to be any easier to navigate than Olympus. Indeed, the Olympus sub-headings seem more logical than long lists of menu items a la Panasonic.

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm probably going to start sounding like a broken record.

First, I like the GX1. I had it for about 6 months, took many great pictures with it, but eventually decided it wasn't for me and replaced it with a PM2. I still think the clickable thumbwheel is the absolute best way of making both A /S and AE adjustment easily accessible on a very compact camera, and wish Oly adopted something similar.

On to the Oly menus . . .

I just don't get it. When I shoot with either of my Oly cameras (OMD, PM2) I almost never dig into the menus. The menus are mostly for setting the camera up, and with Oly there are a zillion customizable options so the menu tree is pretty dense. But once the camera is set up the way you like almost everything can be accessed from the SCP, which is just a button away.

I absolutely get that the Oly UI can be pretty daunting, especially if you've never seen it before. It's not intuitive, so the learning curve is steep. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its own logic. Oly figures the complicated menus are worth it once you figure them out, and concede that it's not always going to be an easy process.

What this means is that almost everyone who picks up the camera, and is unfamiliar with the way Oly does things, immediately thinks "this sucks!". It's so much more complicated (and difficult) than the Panasonic way. It is so much more complicated (and difficult) than the Panasonic way, but that's the price of customization. Sure, maybe Olympus could make the menus a bit more logical, but, really, it doesn't matter because you actually don't have to go into them very often.

Anyway, this doesn't have anything to do with the GX1, except that your comment about the menus set me off. It's late and I'm tired! Sorry for the rant.

I too hope Panasonic comes out with a GX1 replacement using a newer sensor. More choices are always a good thing, and the GX1 had (and has) a lot going for it.

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, but the "enthusiasts" are rather small in number (compared to the total global market), so the the ROI would also be very small. We have to consider that this wonderful web site does not represent the total global digital camera market. Any design decisions are probably based on where they get the largest return on their investment - especially in today's tight economy.

17. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Well, I suppose I should start considering an OMD or EP5 until Panasonic puts a GH3 or similar sensor in a GX body.