1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

After the fire

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Crdome, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Day thirteen of my self challenge to shoot viable photos everyday for a year.

After the fire (13/365)
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91846136@N04/9302681949/" title="After the fire (13/365) by MyCrome, on Flickr"> 9302681949_fb07fe34f2_b. "950" height="721" alt="After the fire (13/365)"></a>
    The building caught fire after a lightning strike to the electrical service. Removing the vinyl siding reveled the wonderful ad.

2. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Lost glove

Undercover
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91846136@N04/9305462874/" title="Undercover by MyCrome, on Flickr"> 9305462874_3b197cbd06_b. "910" height="640" alt="Undercover"></a>
    For years I have been intrigued with the plethora of lost gloves that I stumble across wandering urban streets, work sites, abandoned factories and farms, etc. I found the juxtaposition of dissimilar textures, hue, and materials compelling to shoot.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've always baulked at setting myself such a task...but from what I gather those that have tried have always come out learning something from the experience.
    Keep us posted mate....and good light.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Is that bread still around?

5. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Joe,

I'm finding it takes far more time than anticipated since I want the shots to be worth-while and meaningful. I shoot too much or "not quite right", so spend endless hrs sorting or PPing. Today i shot fewer than 10 with good results. Of course that should be the ultimate goal. Shoot better, shoot less. The shoot better part is already becoming apparent.

-Chrome

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I like the bread sign. For the longest time I have wanted to go out and document old advertising, mostly painted on buildings. Still haven't done it. Good luck on your personal challenge.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You are producing some great images so far sir, keep it up. It's interesting seeing some black and white versions in the B&W thread. I like the bread sign in color.

Today is my day 47 so you're not that far behind me.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great sign under the siding! I've tried a couple of 365 day projects but always with a theme (one object, etc.) and I've always come up short. I like your approach, may have to give it a try. :thumbup:

9. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Red Tail - You are a fortunate man. The fire revealed a long lost storeroom holsum enriched white bread, now toast. What's your address so I can ship a crate to you?

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    My thinking on this goes two ways. You can either decide to treat it like an assignment, or a creative challenge. In the first case getting a shot is more important than "the" shot. The second option is much harder but I suspect you learn something either way.

11. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Caimi - You best get started while they still exist! Have you noticed the dramatic loss of Midwest barns over the past 5 years or so. The snows' weight from several bad winters crushed many leaving them in piles of splinters.

This one was quite a treat to discover since the paint is so vibrant. When I photo document sites I follow a strict code not to moving anything. Here I made an exception since it was a construction rather than historic site. I moved several stacks of 4x8ft chipboard piled in front of the sign. They were pretty scary since each was pierced with hundreds of roofing nails.

12. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Bob -Trying to selecting a theme was the scary part of preparing to embark on the odyssey. I couldn't come up with one and decided if one finally evolved that would be great. Only two weeks into the journey, having not choosing a theme was the best thing. To me, I live in a visual void. This is a tiny town and I've shot most of it. To limit myself to a theme would guarantee failure. Not doing so has allowed me to explore things outside of my areas of tastes and comfort zone. Now I'm even prepared to shooting toilet paper cozies if the need arises.:yahoo:

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Finally a good purpose for vinyl siding. :biggrin:

14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Well said! I opted for the latter, making photographs, not taking snapshots.