1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

After Shot Pro and EM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Imjinman, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Does anyone have any insight as to when ASP will support EM1 ORFs? At the moment I cannot use it to edit new RAWs from my new camera, and a pain to swap programmes

Also I had to buy Fast Picture Viewer codecs to view the ORF thumbnail in Win8.1

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You can be sure that ASP will be late, late, late (and maybe never!) to support new cameras!!! Despite being a big fan, I ditched it a year ago due to lack of investment from Corel on new features and cameras. Despite the occasional glimmer of hope on the ASP forum, I think the product is a dead duck. Pity.

3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    If it makes you feel any better, the company that created Bibble / Bibble Pro was just as bad. I remember they did a pre-order deal. "Buy version 4, get version 5 when it is released in two weeks". So me and a bunch of other people bought version 4, and version 5 didn't come out for almost 2 years after that. The Bibble forums was a very interesting place to visit during that time period. Ops were banning users for complaining about not getting what they were promised.

I read somewhere that Corel purchased Bibble (now called ASP) to be able to strip features out of it and put it in PSP. I see Perfectly Clear is now in PSP, as well as 64 bit support, so maybe there's some truth to this. At any rate, there's no guarantee that ASP is dead, but I wouldn't hold your breath when it comes to camera support.

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I started with Bibble4 too and did the long wait for Bibble5. I do still like it though - especially the user interface. It's falling further and further behind the market leaders though, so I think it's only a matter of time before it's put out of its misery!

5. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Corel usually update asp every 6 months so ASP 2.0 will be released on February 2014... indeed, they said on their facebook page that ASP 2.0 will come out on early 2014.

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Corel have done one update to ASP since they acquired it from Bibble - and that was only after endless pressure from users. The upgrade included only changes to support a number of new cameras, most of which were variants of existing cameras (e.g. they added support for the E-PL5 and E-PM2, but these are variants of the E-M5). The only new feature was that they removed Noise Ninja!!!

I wouldn't exactly call that 'updating ASP every 6 months'. Let's see if they do release anything in Feb, and if they do whether they'll be adding anything that will keep it competitive.

7. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
  8. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Many thanks for your thoughts- looks like the time to migrate to Lightroom....I have 3mth trial and so ASP have until then unless of course LR is so much better

9. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    ASP was great but corel is an awful software company. I switched to darktable. It's open source and has many advanced features. The raw converter is fantastic and image quality is tops.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk