1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'After Seeing This, I'm Glad I Have The E-PL2'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Sep 10, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Yes that was funny but a little over the top too.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've always enjoyed his reviews.

G

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    "Olympus started this whole thing, so why bother copying Sony?"

Good point. :D Also a good point that a girly camera doesn't need a tilt screen when all it's gonna be used for is self-portraits, lol. :D

I'm glad he did a small side-by-side comparison with the GF-3, as I was rather interested in how those two cameras compared, physically. The GF-3 does look a little shorter, but other than that not much different in size. I must say though, the hotshoe on the E-PL3 still rules over the internal pop-up flash of the GF-3, any day.

All in all though, I'm also glad that I have my E-PL2. I like the different directions the new cameras are branching off to, but I still think the E-PL2 was the best camera in the direction that suits me best. :)

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think they've made the spec on the LCD confusing, as they're actually comparing it to the E-P2. The PL2 has a 3:2 screen at 460k dots; the PL3 is also 460k dots but at 16:9 and physically smaller. Either way, I feel like the PL3 is not well thought out. The tilt-screen is its only strong selling point over the Mini, possibly the extra buttons and the metal body but I think it's way too awkwardly positioned between the P3 and the PM1. In general, the new lineup is very distinctly demarcated by price, but I have trouble seeing why most people would not choose to step down to the PM1 or up to the P3.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The PL3 is the odd man out. I'd rather save money and get a PM1 or go all out and get a P3. But you know what, I'm sure they did it for marketing. Especially for all those newbies who know nothing about cameras and are walking into a Best Buy to buy a camera. E-PL3 offers everything NEX does physically, so then it just boils down to internal specs.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm usually a fan of Kai's stuff but that particular one was really too much. Should've just had Alamby do the review with Kai chiming in...

Not sure why Kai was also reviewing the E-PL3 against the GF3. It should've been the E-PM1 instead.

8. Hammerli

Hammerli New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    I think that is the target market more for the mini more than the L. I'm amazed at how polarized people are on the E-PL3.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why?

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    So if the tilt screen is so ill equipped for self portraits that no self-respecting girly girl would want one, doesn't that make the EPL3 the he-man camera of choice? :cool: I guess the G3 and GH2 and all of those other cameras with the fully articulating screens are really the girly cameras. As a real he-man type (yeah, right!), I own the EPL3 specifically BECAUSE OF the flip screen and would NOT have bought it if it had a fully articulating screen.

So Kai is just thoroughly confused on this one. I generally enjoy the guy immensely though. I thought his manual focus shootout was frickin' hilarious, showing how nice he could be to Sony, after I presume being beaten soundly about the head and face for the unkind things he'd said about the Nex previously...

-Ray

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I somehow doubt E-PL3 will ever reach Best Buy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The review is funny, but a little over the top. Gotta say that his video reviews are probably one of the best though. I like his no holds barred attitude to call it as he sees it.

13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The asian jeremy clarkson of camera gear. I wouldnt take any of his reviews seriously, and see no less of the e-pl3 after watching. Kai is fun though.

I dont know if you guys watch Top Gear, but you'd be crazy to base your exotic car purchases on it. Passion induced sensational journalism. Entertainment value...take it for what it is.

14. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    They are still showing the e-pl1 in my local bestbuy, full price.

I usually like Kai's reviews, but this one IMO is distastefully done. With that said, I can't wait till he reviews the e-pm1.