After reading this forum today, and feeling incredibly depressed...

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
... I was certain my gear wouldn't even turn on, let alone take a photo. A micro 4/3rds sensor? What. Was. I. Thinking!?

Buying into a system that is so flawed, so technologically outdated, so shockingly inferior in every respect that to even attempt to take a photograph would anger the Full Frame Gods. Impossible to "blow out the background," high ISO noise so hideous the images make your eyes bleed, autofocus so slow you'd think you were being filmed at 4k 120fps.

Woozy, emotional, nearly ready to collapse with sorrow at my gear's untimely death, my spouse encouraged me to "just try one photo, you never know." So I lumbered into the back yard in the late afternoon, with nearly all the light gone, weighed down by my incredibly heavy gear, and tried to photograph my old friends, the hummingbirds, so unencumbered by the worries and affairs of photographers. I set the ISO to 1600/3200, knowing that this could only produce unuseable junk, and handheld at 600mm f4 (35mm equivalent).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by Dan de Kadt, on Flickr

Take by Dan de Kadt, on Flickr

Flight! by Dan de Kadt, on Flickr

Peace and love to all on this stormy day. Enjoy your gear. It still works, and it's not even that bad. :)

Last edited:

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Be honest now Dan, we're these REALLY taken with a M43 CAMERA and LENS?:eek-31:

Think I may just pull out my EM1, seems like :mu43: is not that bad after all.:th_salute:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That can't be a 300mm f/4, you would clearly have a 3825.23mm f/92.76 lens, or that's what Firstname Lastname Youtubers say about equivalence calculations with the tiny insignificant useless sensors that are going to be obliterated by cellphone sensors and everything else for the one true fullest of frame formats.

Clearly you're just editing your EXIF to claim you're not using a Sony or Nikon and cropping down to produce a better output.

</s, I'm done exporting a little bit of DPR here...>

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice shots of perched birds Dan. The E-M1 does very well shooting them.
The point isn't that my photos are brilliant, or that my camera is brilliant, or that there is no use case where my camera sucks.

It's that people have spent the whole day complaining about a camera they've never even touched instead of just going out and taking photos. So I did. People have spent the whole day telling everyone else how m43 is doomed, instead of taking photos. So I did.

Don't belittle my images, even if they're not to your standards. With respect, because you are a very talented photographer, all you seem to do on this forum these days is complain about a system you left six months ago and compare it negatively to your new system. I'm really just here to enjoy and share images with other photographers. So I did.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Don't belittle my images, even if they're not to your standards.
I actually meant that they were nice shots. I like how the bird's chin feathers in the first image match the colors of the feeder. The backgrounds in images 2 & 5 are also very nice and non-distracting.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I actually meant that they were nice shots. I like how the bird's chin feathers in the first image match the colors of the feeder. The backgrounds in images 2 & 5 are also very nice and non-distracting.
Well, then apologies for misreading. I'm lying awake sleep training my crying 9 month old at 4:30am, forgive me.

mpresley

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Really nice shots! I see lot's of other format photographs that should be an embarrassment to that platform. Worrying about what other's think of my equipment is obviously a futile endeavor which you know. Kind of like the Mac v PC nauseating arguments. I'll never understand Mac users. There's two in my house I'd give away if the wife would let me :)

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Really nice shots! I see lot's of other format photographs that should be an embarrassment to that platform. Worrying about what other's think of my equipment is obviously a futile endeavor which you know. Kind of like the Mac v PC nauseating arguments. I'll never understand Mac users. There's two in my house I'd give away if the wife would let me :)
I can guarantee that these were processed on a PC. Mac-free my whole life.

mpresley

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Michael
OK OK, I didn't mean to start a mac v pc war. I should have known not to mention that. My comment was meant to be humorous and tongue in cheek :)

I got up early, went to the river, worked on a bit of a portable hide, took about 500 shots, wasn't pleased, thought of corrective action, made some changes and will go out tomorrow and do it again; this time better. Nothing has changed in my kit from a week ago, and I was just fine with it then.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom