1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

After much deliberation... PL25!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mav, Aug 8, 2012.

1. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    Finally ordered my very own PL25, super excited!
    I love my bokeh so I assume I will not be disappointed, f/2.8 equiv should be nice enough, my 40mm f/2.8 STM on a 5D Mk2 does the cream quite nicely :p
    I have noticed over time that the P20 is a little bit too unflattering for portrait shots, also getting that creamy bokeh is quite hard. So I thought O45 time, but I kinda want to wait for photokina to see if they release a black one so I can mount it on that black OM-D I've been eying off ;)

So the PL25 is a good compromise I should think, low light, contrasty, longer focal length, slightly more flattering to the human face, has leica written on it lol!

Plus I'm heading back over to South Korea and the PL25 will eat up the street lights where ever I walk.
    Its going to be mounted to my GF1, anyone got some awesome photos shot with their PL25 mounted to a GF1 while I eagerly await delivery?

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    congrats.....

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    P1080167.

This is my one, if you don't mind, done with GF3 and the 25 1.4

have fun with the new toy!

Camera Manufacturer: Panasonic
    Camera Model: DMC-GF3
    :
    Exposure time : 1/1600
    F-Number: 2.0
    ISO speed ratings: 160
    Date taken: 2012:08:05 09:50:12
    Max aperture: F1.4
    Flash: No flash
    Focal length [mm]: 25
    Focal length (35mm): 50

• Like Like x 11
  4. johnc

johnc Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2011
    That's a strikingly beautiful image, jyc.

5. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    Wowzers, nice one. It really does make those colours pop! GF3 and GF2 have basically a GF1 sensor anyway, so cheers!

6. SeveNx7

SeveNx7 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    SeveN
    congrats! I'm waiting for mine to come out of backorder!

7. Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Nice! In my opinion, its the best do-all lens for m4/3.

8. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    I can't bring myself to own a Panasonic camera as I've owned Olympus ever since the OM-1 appeared in 1973. Here is a photo I made with the PL25 at f/1.4 on my E-PL3. You will LOVE this lens. It's the best I own.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho

Awesome shot, I just about sold my PL25.. the buyer changed his mind.. thank goodness.

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    :rolleyes: It and the 7-14 are IMVHO just the best :43: out there.

Again :rolleyes:

11. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    You will love the lens, congrats

12. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    Just got it! Woo.

Pretty chunky lol, no one really mentions just how much better the MF ring is on this thing. The MF on the p14 and p20 is pure garbage in comparison.

Can anyone tell me if the PL45 has the same speedy MF as the PL25? If so I'm seriously considering a PL45.

Also boy is this thing sharp! I've only snapped pictures of a fork on my work desk but even these test shots look nice haha.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    "Can anyone tell me if the PL45 has the same speedy MF as the PL25? If so I'm seriously considering a PL45."

Yes and no. Yes, it's as speedy. It's not quite as reliable though. Especially if you try to focus on something small and nearby after focusing on something far away. For example, if I want to focus on a flower instead of the background, I sometimes need to focus on a close object where there is no possible background (like the floor or my hand) and then turn back to the flower.

None of that bothers me. I consider the O45 focus to be fast and good, just a bit more quirky (easy to work around).

Bottom line: Oly 45 is a no brainer :smile:. Enjoy the PL25 - love mine!

14. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    Yeah I know but I like to shoot macro as well. Obviously the focus is going to have a whole lot more travel than any other non-macro lens. I was more inquiring about the focus motor's coupling with the ring, the PL25 seems to mostly have 1:1 movement, when I turn it and it happens immediately. My other m43 lenses you seem to turn the ring and then its a delayed movement, only slightly but enough to think that MF was an afterthought.

Anyway heres some test shots for anyone interested! I just went wandering around my suburb and back yard :D Nothing special just sharing my enthusiasm!

This one was just a little dreamy, despite the boring subject haha.

Yes I totally have a cherry blossom in the yard :p

• Like Like x 2
  15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice shots Matt :thumbup: ....look forward to seeing you share more of that enthusiasm on the PL25 image thread. Keep 'em coming mate.