After much consideration...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually it didn't take that much thought. I recently did some selling of lenses and trading of gear and because I didn't really pay attention to what I had been doing I ended up selling and/or trading BOTH my Panasonic 14's. I hate it when that happens. Having just picked up an Olympus 45 and been really happy with it I decided to look at the idea of saving my pennies until I could pick up an Olympus 12/2. It looks like a great lens, focuses VERY fast with my E-P3 and is really looks to be the cats pajamas. Unfortunately at almost triple the price of the Panasonic 14 I realized I'd need to save a boatload of pennies. I also realize that while I like to have a WA option available to me I don't use it enough to justify a lens that costs as much as a human spleen (or a round trip ticket to Spain).

In my search I came across this article and it helped not feel like a total fleeb for preferring the idea of getting the Panasonic 14 over the Olympus 12. Clearly the Olympus 12 is the better lens and I'd love to have one but I'd also like to have a pet Zebra and have a piranha filled moat around my house too. I have a black 14/2.5 on the way.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing this . I have been thinking about getting Panny 14 mm 2.5 over Oly 12 mm 2 but again how many primes u will gather ? I am getting frustrated with frequent lens changes . I am considering buying Olympus 14-54mm Zuiko II as my walk around lens rather than accumulating 4 primes and then carrying them with me everywhere . This 14-54 mm Zuiko II will cover 14 mm , 20 mm, 25 mm , 45 focal lengths and all I will sacrifice is some AF performance . The only thing I love is portraits and I have my trusted and beloved Oly 45 mm 1.8 for that .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a pet Zebra ...
    181889628_pJTTe-X2-2.
    ... her name is Molly.

G

PS- I am very happy with my Pana 14mm ... no bull.
    1244307423_HbZCF-O.
    G

• Like Like x 11
  4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    This lens is comparitively expensive, but coupled with the E P3 renders amazing images. I also like the 45, but find it long for what I like to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    :eek: I rejoice in your good fortune (but secretly curse you).

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No doubt. My issue with the lens is purely one of economics. I don't find enough value in the 12/2 (for me) to make it worth it. The Panasonic 14 (again to me) gives me enough of what I need in that I seldom use WA. I also think that the difference between the Panasonic 14 and Olympus 12 is not as great as their prices suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the Panasonic 14...the last one I had produced some lovely images. It's also not too shabby in the AF department either.

I call this one...couldn't think of a witty pun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I would love to have three primes in my lens collection.
    My dream trinity primes are 12/2, 25/1.4 & 45/1.8.
    Due to financial concerns, I think I can settle with 14/2.5, 20/1.7, & 45/1.8.

I already have the 20/1.7 & 45/1.8.
    Saving for the 14/2.5.

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    14mm is not the same as 12mm. None of both lenses can be exchanged by the other, apart from cropping the images taken with the 12mm. However, there is an other possibility: Why don't you buy the 9-18mm, which is an extremely good and versatile lens?

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That's what I have, the m9-18 really is a stella lens, versatile and very compact too and costs less than the 12mm.
    For wide angle I find the f4-5.6 is fine too.

Paul

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The 14/2.5 and 12/2 are vastly different lenses to the 9-18. Sure the 9-18 will do the 12 & 14 overlap but the similarities begin and end there.

The 14 & 12 are the obvious comparison in my opinion as they are fairly close in focal length, are both relatively bright(ish) primes capable of fairly decent shallow DOF shots with some nice subject isolation...and both can be used in low light conditions with not too shabby results.

The 9-18 on the other hand is a significantly less bright lens and by the time you go the 12-14 focal length range you're looking at apertures of 4.6-4.9 at best. I believe the 9-18 is different enough from the 2 mentioned primes that in many (not all) instances, you will be shooting in a completely different manner and for a significantly different outcome.

And then there is size......both the 12 and 14 are fairly compact, with the 14 being freakin' tiny....the 9-18 although compact for what it is, when unlocked into 'shooting mode' and brought into the 12-14 focal length zone....is significantly larger than either of the other 2.

Below is a shot of my 14 + 9-18 + 45 to illustrate.
    (NOTE: I dont have the 12/2 but it is comprable in size and design to the 45/1.8 ...also, I opened up the 9-18 to about the 13mm focal length)

P1010580.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    For my purposes (the occasional need for a WA lens) they serve the same purpose. If I shot a lot of WA then the 12 would make a lot more sense but I don't. As for the 9-18...again for the very limited use it would get the price isn't worth to to me.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I find a lot of FOV overlap between the 12mm, 14mm and 20mm. All three are in the same ballpark per aperture. There is only a step or two difference between the three per foot zooming.

If you have the 20mm, get the 12mm. If you have the 14mm get the 25mm. Having the 12/14 combo or the 14/20 combo for general use doesn't work out very well.

G

• Like Like x 2
  14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Well now, that's not what I wanted to hear! I've decided against trading my 20mm for the 25mm, but for wide I plan to pick up the 14mm (like dixeyk, it's a purely financial decision where I can't justify spending the extra cash on the 12mm). :frown:

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I love my 20mm, but the FOV is very close to the 14mm. I'm giving serious thought to the 25mm and the 12mm (retire either the 20mm or the 14mm), both are fiscally painful considerations.

G

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Or you could get the 7-14, which is positively brilliant, and covers all your wide angle bases, except maybe low-light. DOF is so great on all these lenses that the difference between f2 and f4 doesn't matter very much in the real world.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I gave that thought as well, the 7-14 would be a compromise lens. For me, yes it covers my wide needs, but I shoot a ton of low-light stuff, plus I truly appreciate the slight differences between zooms and primes.

G

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    i think it depends on how much you use a WA and how important t is for you. For me its an occasional use lens so the cost of the 12 is prohibitive for that level of use. I got it over the 14-42 because its a bit faster and I really don"t care for the 14-42 (in any form). It's not a bad lens but I just don't like the way it feels. I might have opted for the Panasonic 14-45 but the 14 was cheaper and when I did have the 14-45 and 14 at the same time previously I thought the 14 was a wee bit sharper.

Where I see much more overlap in POV is the Olympus 17 and both the Panasonic 14 and 20.

19. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the Oly 14-42 II, and couldn't justify the Panasonic 14mm, even at the absurdly low ebay price of $169. The Panasonic prime is not that much faster and is, according to every lab testing site I can find, not as sharp as the 14-42 at 14mm. I considered the Oly 12mm since it at least gave a bit more width than the 14-42. At the end of the day, however, I concluded that large aperture isn't that important to me in a wide angle, and for nearly the same price as the 12mm, a used Panasonic 7-14 is a lot more versatile as a wide angle choice and has nearly comparable image quality.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had a few 14-42 II's and a few 14's and I don't recall ever noticing that the 14 was less sharp than the 14-42.