1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

After market 4/3 to M4/3 AF adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by donuts, Jul 18, 2016.

1. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    I hope this is the right forum for this. Just curious if anyone has used an after market
    4/3 to m4/3 (DMW-MA1) adapter, and if you have had any issues with it? There is quite
    a difference in price for an original adapter and after market type.
    Thanks for any input.
    Jerry.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The internals are basically a straight through connection with a switch on one pin (when you press the lens disconnect it turns off the power) and two pins disconnected, most aftermarket adapters are probably fine.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    On my phone so not going to search but we have a long thread on here about someone who was getting bad IQ from their 4/3 9-18. We concluded it was his 3rd party adapter that was faulty and he just recently got a Panny (may have been Oly) adapter and confirmed what we suspected. The problem was the adapter was not parallel with the sensor.

Also, if you want/need weather sealing the Olympus MMF-3 is the only you can use.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's likely the short focal length exacerbated the issue, it's one reason why my Redrock micro adapters have grub screws to adjust the adapter when using wide angle lenses.

I had a look around and here is the thread in question:
    Zuiko 9-18 vs M.Zuiko 9-18

The only problem I had with several years of heavy use (35-100mm f2.0 + TCs) was the alloy used on the male bayonet deforming causing the locking pin to enlarge the hole enough to cause electrical problems (a new MMF-3 was ordered which rectified the problem).

5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Bought a JY-43F Auto Focus Lens Adapter and electronically it works fine. However - lens connection is very tight on my copy! The 35 macro was extremely difficult to remove, the 18-180 tight but not as bad. Alignment appears to be OK but this is not working as I had hoped. I wanted the 35 macro to work with the e500 and :mu43: but I almost need a tool to pry them apart! :shakehead:

• Like Like x 1
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I own the Panasonic DMW-MA1. I later picked up a $49 third party. It works as well as the M43 model, but does feels very light weight.