After learning some things about my shooting, maybe back to m43?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Oct 20, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I wanted to try life away from m43, so I sold my bodies, but couldn't bring myself to sell the lenses (good thing!). I had to sell the bodies to try something else, otherwise I would fall back on m43 as my comfort zone.

I picked up a Canon 5D w/35, 85 and 70-210 zoom and a NEX5n w/a couple of legacy MF primes (I don't like their current AF lenses). I also have an RX100.

Shooting for the last couple of weeks without m43, I've discovered some things:

First, while I like the closer-to-film like quality of the 5D, I've really grown accustomed to LCD shooting for wider lenses. I use WA lenses (for me, anything shorter than telephoto) for people shots, and for people shots, I go for interesting angles, for instance shooting from the floor or at waist height (this is mostly of my kids and family). The 5D forces you to the VF, so you either have to lay on the floor, or suffice with eye-level shots. Even if I moved to a 5Dii for live view, the AF on a DSLR in live view is pretty terrible. I might relegate this body to just 70-210 zoom shooting and pick up a cheap 50/1.8 for fun portrait shots (I can never seem to make sense of the 85mm focal length, even though the 85/1.8 is an excellent lens).

Second, using the NEX 5n, I've decided I really do like the flippy LCD. I have shot with the EP1 and EPM1 the last 3 years, and thought the flip screen was over rated. I am a convert now, having spent some time framing at waist level. Not just any flip screen, but a capacitive touch screen. With AF. Would be best.

This leads me to my issue with NEX, though. The 5n has a nice screen, but I'm just not bonding with the camera. First, I find focus peaking over rated, so I'm back to magnify view. I only nailed 7/10 shots, meaning I needed to check anything with magnify view anyway.

But the camera doesn't let you default to the highest level magnify when you drop into MF assist. It always puts you into the lower level magnify option, which isn't always sufficient, thus requiring an additional button press. Also, using EV compensation with the NEX with MF lenses doesn't always seem to work. Often it just gains the ISO up or down, with no EV impact. I haven't quite figured out how to work that, so it's become a point of frustration. One side note -- the 5n certainly needs a Gariz soft release. The button requires too deep a half press to return from MF assist and even to fire the shutter.

I have been in Montreal for the week, and I'm finding I'm just taking out my RX100 and leaving the NEX behind. What's the point in a camera you don't want to use? I always carried my EPM1 + PL25, and fired away. One other thought -- I would like a VF option, and the NEX VF screws in like the NEX flash, which is a real pain to get on/off, whereas the Oly VF pops on and off with ease.

I could wait for the NEX6, and get the VF and more controls and possibly better AF, but for some silly reason, the NEX6 doesn't have a touch screen! The 5R does, but they've dropped the capacity part. Of course there's the 7, but from what I've seen, besides being a little costly and too many MP for me, it also seems to be a step back in IQ vs. the 5n/r and 6. It's funny how none of these companies seem to be able to "put it all together" in one body (though the OMD probably comes the closest, but for me it's a a bit big).

So, I'm likely headed back to m43, and in this case the EPL5. The only pauses I have on that camera are: 1) I would love a virtual mode dial like on the EPM2. I just find I shoot 95% in A and 5% in P, and it's just not something I need to change that often, but having a dial it can knocked about a bit, and 2) when I had the OMD, I found that it somehow exaggerated pf over what I was used to. When I read about the purple flare issues with the 7-14mm lens, I wonder if the material color of the sensor doesn't end up somehow magnifying pf and other magenta-leading colors. I didn't have the OMD long enough to really do a lot of testing, but it is a concern in the back of my head. I'll be watching for that on the EPL5.

Sorry to treat this like a personal blog entry, but I thought I might share my experiences if it's helpful to others looking at the same issues.

Comments/thoughts/discussion certainly welcomed!

• Like Like x 4
  2. In the last few weeks I have spent a bit of time shooting with my old EOS 50D, so...same, same, but different :) As a further coincidence I had also been trying a NEX-5N, but that's a whole other story...

There is still something nice about a good optical viewfinder just by it not being an electronic screen. However, apart from the difficulty of composing from different angles as you describe, I found the lack of feedback on exposure quite limiting. With m4/3 it is rare that I re-shoot the same scene twice due to not being happy with the first exposure. It's hard to consistently expose to the right first time when there's nothing to guide you on exactly where the "right" is.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Since you find you do like the flip up screen, that would indicate the EPL5 over the EPM2, no? To me that's a much bigger upside than an unwanted extra mode dial would be a downside...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think a lot of the design on mirrorless is from tech people who specialize in gadgets, not photographers. It's a hard problem because most of the buyers are also accustomed to tech gadgetry, but most of the bodies I've used seem to be great as imaging computers, but only fair as cameras.

A long-winded way of saying 'I agree'...

• Like Like x 4
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What about the NEX-F3? It even has some features that the 5N doesn't have.

6. TDP

TDP Guest

Dude you are a freaking genius, that is it.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for sharing your experience, WT!

+1 on the flippy screen... I think I would have a more difficult time giving that up than the built-in VF.

I saw your post on PF with the OM-D versus N5. I have not done an A to B comparison, but my experience is that I have been able to get very similar PF with fast glass and similar exposures and three different cameras with recent generation Sony sensors (NEX-7, OM-D and K-01). It is always a tricky shot, I think... me in a dark shaded area and then some strong contrasting sunlight punching through tree limbs and leaves.

I have done a bit of research on the subject, but not sure I get it yet! :grin: Not sure if it is mostly the sensor, or how much the lens contributes. It does seem like in most normal situations, it just isn't an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting post. There is no "perfect" system, no single design has everything exactly the way an individual might prefer. Thus, we're left choosing the system/camera that best suits our individual needs/preferences. We make compromises and hope that someone will design something closer to our own ideal camera. I was very happy with my 40D until I started working with :43:. At that point I found a system that fit my needs better and I've worked through several bodies to find the one that works best for me. Currently, that's the E-P3 but I plan to pick up an EM-5 when the prices come down. :cool:

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, another good one. Exposure in the EVF, though the OVF also has it's treasures.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have not tested it yet, so perhaps my perception has led me astray, as others have already posted (in other threads) that the OMD did not give any more pf than their other cameras.

btw -- it's the lens that makes CA and pf, I understand that, but it seems the some of these aberrations are a bit more purple or magenta in hue on the OMD (e.g. the 7-14mm lens flare).

Still on the road now. Hope to look into it further next week.

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The NEX 6 does have a touch screen. Early releases described it as not having one, but the hands-on videos clearly showed it to be working.

12. The purple splotching issues with the 7-14mm might indicate that there is something different about the E-M5 sensor, but all I can say is that with a LR4/RAW workflow I don't find purple fringing to be a problem. To be honest I found my E-PL1 to be far more problematic because at the time I was using that camera I didn't have any decent software to correct for it.

13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Can we make "where they always come back" or something similar as the forum's subtitle? :biggrin:

Bill, you know I followed a similar path to yours (minus the 5D) but unlike you, it was when using other cameras that I decided to leave m43 (tried X10 as everyday cam). I realized the folly of that decision quickly. Now even if I have Nex (or try other systems in the future) I will not easily give the :43: system up. For me, it just works beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
  14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Have you figured out a way to remove the purple blotching specifically in LR? I've tried but can't seem to find a solution to this.

15. Sorry Joe, I should have specified my "it" as just being regular purple fringing. I've changed the wording so that the sentence makes more sense. The splotching with the 7-14mm is an issue that I don't have an answer for.

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome back to real camera place after using BRICKS(DSLR) and STICkS( NEX :wink:) . So how many day u wanna pretend that u are gonna try this and try that? I know every thing has failed man, just come back . Now OMD is big for u? have u seen a thread about OMD's ergonomics ? Please read . ANyway here is a sticky .please post ur arrival there .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    https://www.mu-43.com/f69/welcome-back-mft-thread-26362/

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    No worries. I got excited there for a second! I agree the fringing is correctable. The splotching really annoys me. I need to use the 7-14 on my GX1. Tempting to use it on the OM-D but I always get ruined shots.

18. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
  19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    One of the early hands-on videos, perhaps the tester had a early version that did. I see that they didn't put it in the final roduct, so my bad.

20. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1