1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

After 4 months with MFT (EP3)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I have determined:

I love the size.

I hardly use my 12mm or 45mm OLY lenses; the kit 14-42 is the lens that is most useful among those three for me; I reordered a 14-150 ( I had ordered and cancelled it a while back)

My (now gone) D7000 handled action photos orders of magnitude better but in stills the Oly is the equal in both focus speed and image quality (if you are not cropping to insane levels).

THe add-on VF works fine (VF3) but makes the camera kind of a pain re awkwardness. The OMD might be better re that but the lack of a built-in flash is a big negative for me. I use fill flash a lot and have always found it to be one of the best ways to get a good shot of people in bright sun. I have to admit that the Nikon does it better than the OLY but Nikon flash has always been the head of the class, IMO.

My experience has been that the 12mm and the 45mm are absolutely superb lenses but the convenience of the kit zoom has trumped them. I find that I prefer the zoom - just as I did with the Nikons. I had a few Nikon primes but the Nikon 18-200 became my primary lens when I bought it and I realize that I would rather have a zoom like that on the camera than fool around with changing lenses. Yeah - we all did that lens-changing thing back in the old days but since the only way I look at pics nowadays is on a computer/TV screen, the difference in the Oly primes and the kit 14-42 resolution-wise is not visible with the same photo at the same image size. So the 14-150 will essentially replace the Nikon 18-200 that I used to use with my D80, D90, and D7000.
    Not arguing or suggesting anything, just giving my opinion of MFT as I have used it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you don't use the 12 and 45, try trading them in for the 20/1.7 for indoor shots, and keep with the zooms for all else.

Your experience re: the DSLR is pretty much right on target, IMO.

Perhaps you'll like the upcoming Oly 2.8 zooms, though they'll be expensive.

3. ytreephotography

ytreephotography Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    Yevette
    I'm looking into getting a second body as a back-up to my e-m5 and was considering the e-p3. What did you mean by the viewfinder being awkward? I need a viewfinder; there is just too much glare for me to use an LCD to capture images. Also, I like to use my head to help steady the camera sometimes during low shutter speed captures.

The e-p3 seemed to be the way to go although a bit pricey for a back-up option. I'm thinking of getting a used one to at least lower the cost a bit.

How does the e-p3 handle in low light situations?

4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I like the EP3 a lot. When I say awkward re the VF, it's to do with pulling it in/out of my Domke FX5B bag (the bag I used for many years for my Leica M6/lenses). The VF causes it to hang up sometimes and also makes it hard to position in the bag. Otherwise it's not really an issue so if you carry it out all the time or in a larger bag, it won't be a problem. I almost never use the screen to compose a pic so a VF is mandatory for me.

I don't do "low light" in the sense of changing the ISO to high levels so I'm not a good person to ask about that. I limit the ISO to a max of 800 and change it manually but mostly I shoot at the camera's basic setting of 200. I don't use auto-ISO at all on the EP3 though I did on the D7000, limiting it to 1600. The EP3 does OK at 800 but not, IMO, above that and I can see the difference between 200 and 800. If low light/high ISO is important, I wouldn't recommend the EP3. HOWEVER, if you use the 12/45, you can still shoot at low ISOs and usually have a decent shutter speed due to the lens aperture.