Afraid to touch E-M5!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Jan 24, 2014.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    It's 20 degrees fahrenheit in Alabama, very rare for this area! Been puttering around the house in casual attire (fleece pants) and the static build up keeps getting worse. I guess this is a negative for having wall to wall carpeting. Everything I touch gives me a static jolt and I left my E-M5 out on my desk. Guess I should ground myself before touching it or better yet change attire!

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Don't touch the SD cards either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Been here in Huntsville for 15 years and this is the coldest winter so far.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Nothing like a whole house humidifier. Makes it feel warmer as well.

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Get rid of the fleece and put on something that's cotton. Any synthetic will make the static worse, most fleece stuff is really bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I know you are right but fleece is so cozy, warm, and soft besides it's the only pair I have and I rarely get to wear them in Alabama! I guess this spring they go in the yard sale box.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've been using the EM5 every day this week. I guess I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll add a lighting rod and portable grounding cable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    lol
    i was at the grocery store the other day, and every 3rd or 4th step i would be zapped loud enuf that people would turn and look at me
    it was unpleasant. i have no idea what was going on... lol... i was fine before i got into the store! i think someone put a curse on me :D

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That sounds like nylon or acrylic carpet? There were clips & small chains made for discharging the body that could be attached to the sides of your shoes or else a robust necklace (or ankle) chain could be clipped around your ankle with enough to dangle some on the floor & that can help reduce the static build up in your body.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    In the early 70's St. Andrews had their carpet replaced. The first Mass it was soon discovered that the new carpet caused static build up on everyone who walked on it no matter what they wore. For us parishioners communion was a little jolting but poor Father Desmond! The company that installed the carpet replaced it free of charge (sorry about the pun).

• Like Like x 1
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    20 degrees...that's short weather up here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    You might consider traditional sweatpants in a cotton/polyester blend, like these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58517?feat=75102-ppxs&dds=y

Sears has some inexpensive Russell brand cotton/polyester sweatpants that they call "fleece," but in fact are what everyone thinks of as sweatpants:

http://www.sears.com/russell-athletic-men-s-fleece-pants/p-043L0679000P?prdNo=1

VERY comfortable and much less static than pure polyester.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thank You HarryS! I was thinking of doing some PP work on some Christmas images taken last month. I'm glad I read your post before handling my SD cards! I sometimes don't think of a small rectangle of plastic as electronic.

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Olympus must (should have) type tested for static and other electromagnetic effects (EMC and RF).
    If you observe common sense 'rules' and don't handle the electrical connectors needlessly, all should be fine - otherwise were looking at a design flaw.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Yes I have central heat with no humidifier but have never felt uncomfortable. Then I realized I've got one 75 gallon aquarium in my home office and a 100 gallon one in my TV room and both require weekly replenishing of about five gallons each. I do water changes every week to keep the aquarium in good health and avoid smells but never thought about the evaporation water loss and my humidity until I read your post. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog.....

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Both statements are perfectly logical. I'm sure they would check this during the development of the design. In thinking about this when I do pick up my E-M5 I always grab it by the lens first, maybe a habit I learned during my film camera days with larger lenses. Modern lenses make use of quality plastic components to lighten them up for easier carry and I've never felt a static charge when touching a lens, however when visiting family in Pennsylvania last month I did note that a couple of times I did feel a static discharge between myself and the E-M5 and it's still working perfectly which confirms your comment. Of course they can't design a camera for idiots so common sense 'rules' should always be followed.

17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I should listen to my own advice as I popped one earlier this month, Put it in my camera and it was dead. It was working over Xmas.

18. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I have an old IBM static band I wear around our mainframe computer. Before I touch anything I put on the cuff and jack into a special ground strip. Things get funny when we have to open the drawers on the computer and reach in to make changes.

At home I have a neon bulb from some old piece of electronics. When I get up from my desk I grab the bulb at the base, walk to the room I need to go to and touch the tip of the bulb to the screw on a nearby light switch. The light flickers and discharges any static without zapping me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I had the 14mm out last night and it froze up and wouldn't focus!