1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Affordable hoods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Uncle Frank, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The prices that Olympus charges for hoods are ridiculous. Fortunately, I'm a fan of the vented Leica-style hoods, and RainbowImaging offers a complete line of them for chump change. They screw on to the front of your lens, so just pick your filter size.

These lightweight hoods are metal, and will protect your lenses from dings. And their retro look is tres chic.

DSC_4791%20mr.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I use stacked step up adapters.

3. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I bought the JJC plastic bayonet hood for my 45/1.8. It's of good quality, except it wobbles because the mount is too thin which annoys me. It's even worse when the hood is reversed for storage. But there is no way I'm paying the outrageous price Olympus want for a hood that should be included with the lens.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I agree Frank, but there is something that is bothering me.

Yesterday I ordered three different (really inexpensive) hoods from RainbowImaging - total cost ~$22. I paid for them via Paypal and the BoA credit card I have registered with Paypal. Within about an hour I received an email and a telephone call from my bank about some questionable activity on my credit card. The charge that had arrived was for $9.90 (which sounds to me like a "feeler" charge). It was of course rejected by my bank. It could certainly just be coincidental, but I'm still suspicious. And of course I don't know whether to blame RainbowImaging or Paypal (or some infection somewhere in between). BoA has started an investigation and maybe I will find out, but maybe not too.

If anyone has experienced anything like this that could be related to RI please let me know. I don't want to fault RI because they have great prices and lots of neat stuff, but...

5. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    No problems here. I'm curious. What was it about the $9.90 charge that led your bank to reject it? And other than timing, why do you suspect Rainbow Imaging was involved?

6. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    Another vote for RainbowImaging

I have had great experiences with my purchases at RainbowImaging.

I know that they sell through Amazon, but their prices have been better for everything that I have purchased when going directly to:

RainbowImaging

At their Site shipping is free for purchases over $15.00

Slothead - Let us know if there turns out to be any confirmed connection to the unknown bank activity and RainbowImaging.
    I understand your concern, but I would be surprised if there is any fraudulent activity on the part of RainbowImaging.