1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Affordable focal reducer for MC/MD glass?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by apicius9, Jun 8, 2015.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hi,

For just my casual playing around with a couple of MD lenses the Metabone Speedbooster seems excessively expensive. I had planned on getting a Canon EF Lens Turbo reducer that allows me to get a couple of M42 lenses and especially my 50mm Summicron connected. However, I have not found a way to adapt MD glass to any of the MFT focal reducers, does anybody here see a way or has done that?

Thanks,

Stefan

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I don't believe you'll find a solution. The Minolta MD/MC mount (technically the SR mount with either MD or MC meter coupling) has a shorter register distance than any of the common SLR/DSLR mounts for with focal reducers are generally made. You can't adapt the Minolta mount to either Canon EF (aka "EOS") or Nikon F mounts and retain anything close to infinity focus.

You would have to create a custom MD mount only focal reducer, perhaps by starting with a Canon EF mount reducer and swapping flanges and then shimming to achieve proper focus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks, I thought it might be more complicated. What I found is this here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-MD-...713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae211b721 An adapter with glass, promising to allow infiniti focus. Of course, it's yet another piece of glass that may not help image quality. I may just try it out. The few MD lenses I own stuck on a reducer are just for fun (especially the 58/1.4). The lens I hope to really use with the reducer is my Summicron 50 which should turn into a nice and fast 35mm lens at relatively reasonable cost.

Stefan

4. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I tried to 3D print myself a Minolta MD -> Canon FD adapter to use it on my FD focal reducer. I was eventually able to get it to work using my ABS printer, but its durability didn't fill me with confidence. And when I got it printed by Shapeways (I had some credit) in stainless steel and nylon, neither fit properly. So I didn't pursue the experiment any further. But that would be the way to do it.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you have a nice Minolta collection, it may be worth it to get a Fuji or Sony body for them. That will get you to about the effective focal length that the lenses would be on m4/3 with the focal reducer. Also, there are focal reducers for those mounts and on a 1.5x crop sensor, the focal reducer gets you back to just about the native focal length that they were on film.

7. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
  8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Interesting, the listed adapters as well as considering another body (which I would need to start a piggy bank for...). My MD 'collection' is neither huge nor spectacular, I just enjoy the added flexibility. I have a 58/1.4 Rokkor, 55/2.8 Vivitar Macro, 105/3.5 Vivitar S1 Macro, 70-210 Vivitar S1 Macro (all Vivitars are Komine built), waiting for a 35-85/2.8 Vivitar to come in, and have my eyes on the smaller 45/2 Rokkor.

Not sure how I overlooked the RJ adapter, I will put it on my shopping list. After picking up a GX7, the 75mm Oly, and the EF Lens Turbo, my wallet needs a bit of recovery time first...

Stefan

9. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have a Rokkor-X MD 135mm f2.8 (1977 ver); has anyone tried a focal reducer with this lens?

Thanks,
    Barry

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    In my limited experience the RJ adapter is very good, there are a lot of samples in any case at the personal-view web site.