affinity users

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by genesimmons, Oct 11, 2017.

1. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    hi all, i recently downloaded a copy of affinity, its an older version from 2016 i believe, i was very surprised that it opened my panasonic zs70 raw files where as none of my newer editing programs do not, does any one use this program. i am having some issues with clone tool and such,seems like a decent program so far, its the best one i have used that can open the raw files, it seems to work my mac air quite hard though but dxo pro optics does as well, light room runs the best. does any one use this as thier main editor, is there plug ins available for it, thanx

2. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Affinity photo is an excellent app... I'd suggest taking a look at their Vimeo channel (accessible from a link on their site) to get some brief but very well explained video tutorials. I know there are several there dealing with ie. the clone tool. The very polite chap doing the videos (always thanks you for watching at the end) is succinct so gets right to the point... not like others who like to hear themselves yap. The link can be found under the tutorials section of the site, link to that is on the main page. Sorry I'm on my iPad and using the forum app for my-43 and haven't found a way to post links yet... even though I know the link tool is here. Or maybe it was the photos I was having problems with... dunno... it's still early in the morning here.

3. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    thanx for the quick reply, ill check for some tutorials, i like the layout of the app, it opens my raw files which is great so i hope to use it this week as i have a few raws i want to process, thanx

• Like Like x 1
  4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I like Affinity Photo pretty well. You mentioned having issues with the clone tool. Here is a blurb I wrote for myself awhile ago after having problems with the clone tool - hope it helps:

To clone from one image to another, select the Clone Tool in the image you want to use as the source, set the origin pressing the ALT key and clicking on the area you want to clone from, then go to the content toolbar and press the Add Global Source button. Change to the image you want paint with the Clone Tool, go to the content toolbar, set the Current Layer dropdown to Global and paint on the image. The source from the original image will be used.
    ---------
    Actually, in order to get this to work, you have to use the Source Panel to pick which "source" to use when you are in the receiving image and have picked the Global mode of the cloning. This is actually explained in the Help.​

As you can see, the clone tool is more powerful than in most image editors, allowing you to have multiple clone areas from multiple images, and to reuse them later (even after the original cloned-from image is closed !)

5. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Top Veteran

The Affinity Photo Workbook is now out (around $40, US), and it is a wonderful structured learning resource. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    As my copy of PS gets older and older I've seriously considered getting a copy of this.

7. GBarrington

I think for the money, it's a fairly good product. Certainly, it seems worth it for just the HDR, Stitching, and focus stacking modules. It's not perfect, the raw development isn't really non-destructive, and not that good, anyway, IMO. I prefer ACDSee's raw development over Affinity Photo. And I don't really like the highlight and shadow recovery compared to ACDSee, but otherwise, I think it is a strong contender as a bitmapped editor.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The only things I use PS for these days are head/smile/eye swaps and more detailed object removal than I can do with LR. Just removed a woman's purse from next to her foot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I've recently bought both the PC and iPad versions of Affinity. I certainly like it so far, although haven't really pushed it yet. But I did notice that (on a single test case) it did not seem to be able to recover as much cloud detail from a very bright sky as Lightroom could from the exact same file. Slightly disappointing, but not going to stop me using it. In any case, since I don't pay tithe to the Lord Adobe, I can't edit raw files in LR on an iPad anyway...

10. RAH

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I think that any image editor (like Affinity, PaintShop Pro, even Photoshop) are not ideal for editing raw images. I mean, just because an image editor CAN open and modify a raw image doesn't necessarily mean you would use it for that.

I think it is better to use editors that are intended for raw editing (Lightroom, Rawtherapee, Corel Aftershot Pro) for raw images, then export to tif and do any additional editing in an image editor like Affinity, PaintShop Pro, or Photoshop. Adobe users seem to expect to have to do this, but when they switch to alternative image editors they expect or want the new editor to do it all.

11. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    OK @RAH@RAH, I did not know that. I guess on iPad I'm still stuck, without LR then. Perhaps I'll stick to using my trusty Surface 3, which has a full suite of Windows 10 photo apps on it (LR, DxO, Affinity, PS, etc)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Affinity does work fine on my iPad Pro editing raw.

13. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I wasn't really arguing that it doesn't - I think I have been less than clear (kind've overreacted to the previous post, if I'm honest). I agree it works fine, and I will certainly use it. But for a small subset of pictures (very bright highlights) it doesn't seem maybe quite as good as LR. BUT this is based on a sample of one file. I ought to try Snapseed as well, I guess, since I have a feeling that it too can handle raw files. AND this week is more or less my first time using IOS, so that's a steep learning curve, even though it's clearly very user friendly. I'm not trying to undermine Affinity, I really like it and am glad I bought it (twice!). Not sure about the iPad pro yet - it's super slick/fast, and very very nice to use, but quite different to what I'm used to, and I'm really not used to just being able to do what I like with files, or "normal" flash drives.

14. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

FileBrowser Pro (Apple Store) has been a godsend for me on the iPad. Allows me to access an external drive on the go (Western Digital Wireless Pro as well as any thumb drive or extHD attached to the WDWP). It will also allow you to access any wifi accessible files on a local network. I used mine while on vacation, and while not perfect, it certainly allowed me to leave my MBPro at home for 3 weeks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Thanks for the info, @pondball@pondball I am really learning from scratch with the iPad.

I've just tried my bright sky raw file on the iPad in Snapseed, and it does about the same job as Affinity. But I had another look at it in LR on my PC, and to be honest, the extra detail that LR pulls up looks badly unrealistic, so I think I was giving LR more credit than was due really...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    How is that even possible? I am sure it can not be editing the RAW file directly, so has to be non destructive with respect to the RAW file itself.

17. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Not sure myself - I did play around with the PC version, and the file modified time didn't seem to change?

18. RAH

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    As @PakkyT@PakkyT suggests, editing on a RAW file is always non-destructive because you cannot modify a raw file. So there are really no bragging rights for a product to say that it edits raw files non-destructively.

I think it depends on what is meant by "non-destructive." Often people mean that they can open a file later and see the editing changes they made - i.e. the changes are either part of the modified image file, or the changes are saved in a separate "sidecar" file.

So, for example, with Rawtherapee, any changes you make to a raw file are preserved in a separate file (a .pp3 file). If you later open the raw file, Rawtherapee will open it and immediately apply the changes contained in the sidecar file. You are then free to "undo" any or all of those changes, or change the settings in the change (for example, if you did a sharpen, you could change the amount). So not only is the raw file not modified (true for any app), but also the changes you made are available and can be changed later.

But some simpler raw editors may just make the changes and then allow you to export the results to say tif or jpg, and then LOSE the changes when you close the raw file.

Affinity may not preserve all the changes to a raw file - I'm not sure. Even though I have Affinity Photo, I have never done any raw file editing in it. I always start with RawTherapee, export the results, and then do any additional changes in Affinity or PaintShop Pro, as I mentioned above.

Most regular image editors do not preserve your regular editing changes. The closest you can get is to make changes on separate layers and if you save to the product's usually proprietary file format, the layers are preserved. You can then open the modified file later and change or delete those layers. But even there, a precise list of undoable changes is not really saved. I have never had a problem with this type of arrangement.

19. GBarrington

Maybe I should have stated it differently! You guys are correct in that the raw file remains unchanged after development. But I was trying to create a 'shorthand' phrase that described how the Affinity raw development process is different from what we currently expect from modern raw developers. Apparently, my selected phrase was not exactly correct.

Most raw developers, like Lr, ACDsee, and CaptureOne, move many of the bit mapped editing features that can moved, to the development process. Those bitmapped process changes are written to the XML 'sidecar' file, just the way the 'normal' raw changes like exposure and color temp changes are. Affinity, on the other hand, offers a more limited palette of 'raw changes' and forces the user to move into the 'edit' mode (i.e. Photo Persona) sooner than than Lr, ACDSee, or C1 would require. This is similar to how the raw development in PaintShop Pro functions.

It's not wrong, just different, and one that I do not prefer. I much prefer the methods found in ACDSee, and Lr. Fortunately, Affinity Photo works quite well as an external editor in frontend workflow control products like Lr and ACDSee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Just a heads-up that Affinity Photo for iPad is 50% off right now: $9.99 (normally $19.99). Until 12pm GMT Saturday December 9.

• Like Like x 2