AFC question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by F1L1P, Jan 23, 2010.

1. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I've asked same question on other forum, but I still didn't get an answer.

I have panasonic G1 and I cant seem to figure how Auto Focus Continuous works.
    With AFS you get an AF area displayed on screen but with AFC, you just have green dot.
    How can I know which part of image is in focus? Can I even theoretically know what will camera IQ try to focus in AFC?

2. kengan

kengan Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    S.Holland.Lincs.UK.
    Interesting question, will have to test it myself, haven't tried that option yet! Sorry I can't answer your query, must watch this space myself, for further info.

3. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    And what is difference between AF tracking and AFC?

If you activate both AFC and AF tracking what do you get? Double focus tracking? :biggrin:

Or if you activate AFC and single AF area focus- what do you get? Just an overlay of non activated AF area? The basic question is what does (if at all) is AFC keeping track of? Just random focusing doesn't make sense.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Off the top of my head, AF tracking is where you choose the object on which to focus, and activate so that when you want to focus and take the shot, it will focus on the object you chose.

AFC will continue adjusting focus to keep the point you choose in focus - even if it changes distance.

So, you're right - AFC with focus tracking simply continuously tracks the object and keeps it in focus - ready for when you want to take the shot.

Cheers

Brian

5. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    ok, but where is it trying to autofocus? With AF tracking we can clearly see which part of image is the camera trying to keep in focus, but with AFC there is no indicator (or method to choose AF area location) where AFC will keep autofocusing.
    how can you know which, as you mentioned, point is camera trying to keep in focus?

6. robmontanez

robmontanez New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    Auto Focus Continuous

The AFC function is meant to follow a subject you choose via that green dot through continous shots.

Go here and view the "manual focus" video that touches on it slightly: http://lbguides.com/cameras/panasonic/G1-GH1/functions.html

7. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    nice link :2thumbs:
    however- I don't know if I made myself clear, but as long as I know, you can't choose anything- that's why it is called AFC, "A" being "Automatic".
    The question I'm constantly asking is: How can you know where camera is trying to automaticly focus?

With AFS you have AF area indicator (note big black arrow)
    [​IMG]

but with AFC you don't have anything, except green dot in the right corner which is not AF area, just indicator of "in focus".
    [​IMG]
    big black arrow is pointing to the green dot I've mentioned.

having said that, I still can not figure what is purpose of AFC and how does it work, how does it decide what to keep in focus.

8. robmontanez

robmontanez New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    "A picture is worth a thousand words" :smile:

Not sure, but my guess is you may have some setting that is keeping you from using the AFC or you are using a lens that is not compatible with the AFC feature.

Here's what my AFC looks like after pressing the shutter halfway and holding while using AF Tracking:

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like after I let go the shutter button and it begins to "hunt" while I move around:

[​IMG]

I suggest perusing/experimenting with the autofocus and camera setup settings a bit more to maybe try to get it working. I used all 4 autofocus modes (Face detection, AF Tracking, 23-area-focusing, and 1-area-focusing) with the AFC feature and it works fine for me.

9. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    You might be right. As soon as my exams finish, I will experiment with my G1 and post results here. Thx ;)

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Good luck with them F1L1P! :friends:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  11. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    It seems the problem is that I only sometimes get green frame to look like in the pic above, most of the time I only get green dot, but it appears it is focusing on selected area even if that area is not green. (does that makes sense what I just wrote? :biggrin:)