1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AF zoom function on EP-3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ario Arioldi, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm trying to implement the AF zoom function on my newEP-3 but apparently does not work as described in the Olympus documentation.
    In particular the zoom function is not activated by pressing just once the zoom button, but I need to do it at least twice.
    When I restart after a power off I have to set the zoom function again since my camera is not keeping in memory the zoom setting.
    Is there any EP-3 user which can help me to understand if this is a problem affecting only my camera?

The following statement is from Olympus USA EP-3 FAQ and describes how thee camera is supposed to behave:

How can I adjust the size of the AF sampling area the camera uses?

This camera obtains autofocus by sampling a portion of the image data in the scene and searching within that area for the subject with the greatest contrast. This AF sampling area is indicated on the OLED screen by the AF frame (standard operation) or the zoom frame (when shooting using zoom frame AF).

The AF frame has fixed dimensions; however, the size of the zoom frame can be reduced by adjusting the magnification factor of the zoom frame AF function. As the magnification is increased, the size of the zoom frame decreases. Because the camera only considers the picture information within the zoom frame when it sets autofocus, the result is that the camera uses a smaller area of the scene to determine focus. This configuration makes the camera achieve autofocus with greater precision than when sampling using the AF frame.

To change the size of the AF sampling area, please do the following:

Press the Zoom button once. The zoom frame is displayed on the OLED screen. The first time this function is used, the zoom frame is configured to use a magnification factor of 7x.
    Press the INFO button once. The magnification factor will be displayed in the bottom left corner of the LCD screen.
    Press the Up or Down buttons on the circular keypad to select a magnification factor. The options are 5x, 7x, 10x and 14x. As the magnification factor increases, the zoom frame shrinks. Once the zoom frame reaches the desired size, press the [OK] button to register the setting. The area within the zoom frame becomes the new AF sampling area. Only the image data within the zoom frame will be considered when the camera sets autofocus.
    The zoom frame can be positioned anywhere within the scene by using the arrow buttons on the keypad. When the zoom frame is displayed, pressing the zoom button will enlarge the image data contained within the zoom frame until it fills the screen. Pressing the zoom button again will end the zoom AF display, and the zoom frame will again be visible on the screen. Note that the zoom frame AF function only magnifies the image on the screen; it has no effect on the resulting captured image.

When the camera is powered down, the size of the zoom frame and its accompanying magnification factor remain registered. Therefore, if you prefer to shoot with a minimal AF sampling area, you may register a smaller zoom frame and it will be set when you next turn on the camera.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Don't have the camera with me, but I'll try it when I get home.

3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I think the manual left out a step here...

The frame is only displayed with the first press. The manual should have then added another instruction that you must press the button a second time to actually zoom the picture.

Why is this? It would seem that the reason is so you can manipulate the location of the frame before actually zooming. Try it... press the button once to display the frame. Then use the control wheel buttons to move the frame around in the display. When you get it where you want it, press the zoom button again to actually execute the zoom function. THEN you can press the INFO button to change the degree of the zoom.

This is how the function works on all of my other Oly cameras. It would be very surprising if Oly did it another way just on the EP3. As I (and others) have said elsewhere on this forum, Olympus manuals truly suck big time.

I think it's clumsy of Olympus to do it this way, but I've managed to get used to it. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2010
    This is also what I expected.

And "When the camera is powered down, the size of the zoom frame and its accompanying magnification factor remain registered" but this does not happen.