1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF timer with EP1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crashwins, Nov 8, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    So if I set my timer to 12s to take a portrait shot of myself or something, how do I make the lens AF when I step into view? Is there a way to do this? Usually I just get a blurry image. Thanks

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Have you tried using C-AF?

If that doesn't. Work, all I can suggest is to pre-focus on something at the same distance, set the camera to mf, recompose and shoot.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    S-AF and self timer always worked fine for me, but you might need it to do it differently, so try this ;

Set anti-shock to 10 seconds or whatever, focus on a dummy target at the right position, clip on my 'intervalometer' which is just a copper clip holding down the shutter button and stand in the right position while letting it take a further couple of frames.

Sorry can't be more help, but this method definitely works.

This was S-AF, wide open 17mm, self timer on a rock ;

E-GroupSeahamPebbles02.
    E-P1    ---    17mm    f/2.8    1/4000s    ISO 200

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When using the self-timer, I always manually focus the lens first. It's just the better way of doing it. You're using a self-timer, obviously you have the time to set it up right. :) 

I liked it though when our Olympus system cameras were compatible with the InfraRed remote which also worked on the Oly point-and-shoots. That remote was really good for being able to make the camera AF when you want it to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.