AF speed, sigma 60mm vs Olympus 60mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FernandoBatista, Feb 19, 2014.

1. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Anyone tried this two lenses? I'd like to know witch focuses faster.

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I do not have the Olympus 60. The Sigma lens focus is pretty fast on my GX7. If you don't need the macro save yourself some money and get the Sigma. It is $250 less that the Olympus here in the U. S,
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah my macro 60 is not super fast… i'd say the sigma has it beat.. but i don't have a sigma 60.. :D
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I can't speak about the Sigma, but many macro lenses like the Oly tend to be slower as they have a wider (end to end) focus range for fine tuning. The Oly does have a range limiter switch which should improve its speed when not shooing up close.

5. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks everyone for their input, I'm leaning more to the Sigma as the price difference around here is quite big, I can almost buy the three sigma lenses for the price of the Olympus. But I'd still pay that amount for the Olympus if the AF was any faster, with the Macro bonus.

True, but as long as you have your subject more or less within the focus range, the lens doesn't need to rack focus all the way. That’s what I meant by asking witch is faster, I never expected the Olympus to be faster if it needs to go through all the range.
    In the DSLR world at least I was able to get very fast action shots using macro lenses, as long as I prefocused first.
  6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    I've never used the Σ, but I can confirm that the Olympus macro does not focus as quickly as we are used to with mZD lenses.:doh:

It works beautifully as a macro lens, but even with the range limiter on, for non-macro shots it would be quicker to set MF to a fixed distance then move the subject closer or further as needed. :eek: I have learnt to restrict my 60 to macro use only, and to use either my 45/1.8 or 75/1.8 if I need short- to mid-tele.
    • Like Like x 1