1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

AF speed on PL1 vs PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I generally like the PL1, with one quirk: the slooow AF. I was originally planning to buy a PL3, but the more I look into it the less it seems worth anywhere near the price tag. So I'm thinking, maybe the PL2 will be good enough. Not miraculously fast like the 3rd gens are, of course, but maybe worth it.

Oh, one more thing. I hardly ever use the kit zoom, just not a useful zoom range for me. So the revised MSC zoom, while perfectly nice, is not very important. I'm interested in 14mm, 45-200, maybe 45/1.8, etc. So how about it, is AF better on the PL2?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's better. The E-PL2 AF is about the speed of most Panasonics short of the GH2 and G3.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought AF speed on E-PL2 is equal to E-PL1 ( after firmware upgrade). I have E-PL2 and E-P2. I get same AF speed with Panny 14mm.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I forgot about the firmware updates. Yes, it should be the same then... Just like the E-P1 is the same speed as the E-P2 because it can be updated to match.

5. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Face detect

One thing that might be better on the PL2 is face detect with eye detection. I find the face detect on the PL1 rather sucks, or at least it does at relatively close distances. You never know where on the face it will focus, if it does at all.
    While I used the PL2 for just a very brief time, I got a sense of the face detect working well, going for the eyes as advertised.
    Didn't have enough time with the PL2 to say for sure, though I'm certain someone else here would be able to provide a more experienced take on that function if it's important to you.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, it doesn't always work on E-PL2 either. Usually you have to be close enough to your subject in sufficient light.

• Like Like x 1
  7. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hmm

Oh poo. Well, just nevermind that then. It seems to me that with every camera maker and every camera it's prerequisite that there's at least one thing that doesn't work as quite well as the sales spiel leads you to believe.

8. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

If it's any consolation, even on the E-P3 the face detect usually has the camera focusing on anything but what I want. :rolleyes:

I have the best success setting the focus to be a point in the center (a setup option), then doing the "point, select focus object and shutter-button half-down, reframe, shoot."

Or, "use 20mm or lower and F11, switch to manual focus, and find the focal where everything is in focus no matter where it is."

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would you guys say that PL1 is the best full featured budget option if I want to get into the Olympus side of m43?

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Okay, I don't get it. The E-PL2 is or isn't faster than an E-PL1 running the latest firmwares?

As for face detect, my PL1 tends to pick random non-faces so I leave it off unless doing portrait stuff.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I thought that's what Face Detect was supposed to do? That's why it's an auto function. ;)

12. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The E-PL1 and E-PL2 are about the same experienced speed of response. Most of the time just fine, every once in a while maddeningly slow when you're trying to snap something transient.

Buy the E-PL2 if you want the cooler looks and "Dramatic Tone" art-filter. Buy the E-PL1 if you want a less expensive but slightly more durable camera - the E-PL2 lost the protective bevel around the back screen - which would have saved me from a cracked screen on my E-PL2.

Definitely don't get the E-P3 if you like the "manual ceiling-bounce flash mode" on the E-PL1 or E-PL2: The E-P3 no longer folds up in the same way, so you can't hold the flash down for "ceiling bounce" flash. Also don't get the E-P3 if you like longer battery life. It discharges a battery much faster than the E-PL1/E-PL2.

Ned, "Face Detect" as an un-editable part of "i-Auto" probably hurts Olympus sales more than helps. Because of that I wish I could permanently remove that mode from these cameras. :biggrin:

13. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    They are indeed pretty much identical but it is also worth mentioning that AF speed on all m4/3 bodies is largely impacted by the lens being used. The E-PL1 with original kit lens is dog slow compared to the E-P3 with II R kit lens ... but the E-P3 is only a little faster than the E-PL1 if they are both using the same II R lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i been thinking about getting a epl2 more and more after trying one at a local store. my epl1 just doesnt feel as good in my hands, it has to do in some part with the awkward grip i suppose on my epl1. however if i was upgrading i would rather upgrade for the 1/4000 shutter speed instead, that would be more important to me than the other considerations. so instead of features etc. i would consider upgrading for the handling aspects alone...but i'm still thinking...the epl1 was a good camera for me.

i never knew that about the ep3's flash, i suppose it is the same as the gf1's flash then in that regard. slightly disappointing. :redface: thanks much tho for the info.

15. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Ah yes. I was wracking my memory trying to think of the main differences between the two but had forgotten that, one of the more important ... :smile:

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Face detect only works on point and shoots, because they have no DOF, so it is easy to spot the faces. m4/3rds focuses wide open, so you're never going to find a face at f.17.

As for the shutter speed, I would rather have ISO 100 and 1/2000 shutter than ISO 200 and 1/4000 shutter. Obviously, I'd prefer to have both, but I've found that there is quite a bit of noise at ISO 200 through 400 and above. It's easy to correct without losing too much detail, but the option to shoot at 100 is always nice, even if you do sacrifice a stop or two of dynamic range.

Edit: and yes, I love the flash on the E-PL1. I never used to use flash before except in emergencies, but being able to do the bounce thing makes it actually useful for a lot of situations.

17. odsagn

odsagn Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've had both and i much prefer the E-PL2.

As for the durability issues raised by CarlB, i think there is a simple fix. Buy an arylic screen protector for the LCD. i find the overall durabilty of the E-PL2 to be tad better.

AF speed between the 2 is noticable on most lenses with the E-PL2 being faster.