?AF Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by soundimageplus, Mar 30, 2010.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    <a href="http://jeffascough.typepad.com/af_rangefinder_blog/" rel="nofollow">jeffascough.typepad.com/af_rangefinder_blog/</a>

By the way. for those who don't know him, Jeff Ascough is one of the UK's leading wedding photographers.

Its not April 1st. yet - so???

2. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Sweden
    He is known to have humor and the final report is likely to be presented on April 1st!

3. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Well it sounds too good to be true....

It may well be a joke.. But if it is a joke it is really unfunny... "Lets make up a story that SOUNDS like it MIGHT be true!! And then 1. april I will tell everybody it is a joke!!! Haahahahahhahahah " :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: etc.

Sorry, I hate unfunny jokes...

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yeah, its a joke.

He has created a specific blog just for this, closed for comments, no update other than the single page.

Pointless attempt to push traffic to his own site by the sounds of it - not sure why someone so respected should waste his time with such drivle.

5. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Hoax?

This may or may not turn out to be a hoax.
    I hope it's not, because as an admirer of Jeff Ascough's work I cannot see what he would hope to gain from this. There's certainly nothing particularly funny about whats been posted so far. Aprils Fools jokes are supposed to contain humour and be pretty obvious that its a joke, but this doesn't seem to be following that pattern.
    He's been described as one of the worlds top 10 wedding photographers and is doing workshops with Joe Buissink, another of the worlds best known, and best paid wedding photographers. These people both have serious reputations amongst photographers & if Jeff Ascough is indulging himself in an elaborate hoax then he may find it backfiring.
    An AF rangefinder may be an unlikely concept but hardly a ridiculous over the top one guaranteed to have us all "splitting our sides"
    I may be wrong but surely he would like to be known for his work rather than as an "internet funster" His blog also gives no particular hint of any spoofing tendencies - its pretty much an account of a working photographer and the jobs he does.
    If it is an Aprils Fools joke then we will know tomorrow. I hope its not as I have a lot of respect for his work and would be surprised (not in a pleasant way) if it turned out to be a hoax.

6. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    That's already ridiculous. It implies that there's some sort of rating system. If there indeed is (and this sounds silly enough to be true), then it will be reflected in rates charged. If it's reflected in rates charged, then it will attract the fabulously rich and (how shall I put it?) immodest. Such people exist.

If you get married then have fun and get a good photographer. If you have spare money then spend it on books by real photographers of photos of people other than yourself, or on charity or something.

(Veblen will be laughing in his grave.)

Indeed, it's no more unlikely or ridiculous than the Contax G series.

7. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Mr Buissink charges $250,000 for his services last time I looked.

I doubt anyone laughs in their grave, if they do they are in trouble!

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Oh well, either way it wont be M4/3 so I wont be investing in yet another system.

The only other cam I was interested in before deciding on M4/3 was the X1, but far too limited.

9. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    You know, I think I might be able to do a better job for the money. I'd charge just 201 thou. I'd then sit back and pay fifty thousand to each of two photographers more noted for their photography than their celebrity (plus anyone they cared to hire), a thousand to myself (beer money), and a hundred thou to Médecins Sans Frontières or similar.

A quarter of a million just for the photography of a wedding. Well well, it seems that the "anglo-saxon" economic model has turned the "haves" into little emperors. Let's be happy that the rich are so happy, because of course the alternative would be the "politics of envy", wouldn't it.

10. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    blog

There's a new posting on his blog
    http://jeffascough.typepad.com/af_rangefinder_blog/
    in which he talks about the frameline system using something called
    Luminance Optimized Optical Framelines.

Just reverse those initials.

I suspect that Mr Anscough may come out of this looking like a
    Luminance Optimized Optical Frameline himself.

11. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    FOOL!
    Yeah he is real funny... May get alot of extra traffic to his blog now, but not in the long run....

Dammit! We need some more digtial RF`s!!!:eek:

12. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I have emailed him giving him a list of providers for hosting - what a donut! All he has done is made himself look like a bit of a FOOL.

"I'm still having issues with hosting some images. The camera company aren't happy about them being hosted on a third party site, so we are looking at the option of upgrading my server to keep up with the massive traffic that the pics demonstrated."

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Not a very funny joke, but it was still an interesting thing to think about. Imagine if Canon made such a beast. A full frame mirrorless rangenfinder camera with fast AF, a built-in OVF with automatic framelines, and full time manual focus override.

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I find it a bit of a cruel joke if not true as there are many who would be very interested in a rangefinder with AF (myself included).

I would love a rangefinder about the size of the original Leica CL with AF but I suspect it is just a pipe dream on my part - who can tell what is in the wings though?

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm actually hoping for something like this in due course (and not too far down the line), but with a :43: sensor....watch this space......:wink:

No, I don't know anything either, but it strikes me that this must surely be the nirvana that Oly and Panny are working towards...:biggrin: