1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AF points in Panny bodies?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, May 19, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    A rather technological question: (1) how many AF points do Panny bodies have?, and (2) how many of them are cross types?

I've seen Nikon/Canon ads where they promote the high number of AF focus points their new top-line bodies sport as well as the number of cross type AF points. That made me wonder how my Panny bodies fare. No mention of it in the user guides.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I believe that all the Panasonic bodies have 23 focus points. I'm not sure how many (if any) are cross type.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Where does the number "23" come from? I understand from the user guide that Panny bodies can auto-focus up to 23 "areas", but is that the same as focus points?

What about when you turn the AF mode to 1-area-focusing and move it around the frame? There seem to be far more than 23 points that you can move the 1-area-focusing box to.

4. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I'm going to answer for what I know: af points are just for phase detection af. They are sensor just for af and they are found on reflex cameras (both digital and film) and the nikon 1 mirrorless.

M43 has contrast detection af. This means the af is done with the image sensor, not with a specialized one. That's why you just can chose everywhere in the image as af point, while a reflex camera has most of his af points.

What this means?
    On old m43 bodies, slower af.
    On new m43 bodies, faster af in af-s mode(still or slow-moving subjects) and slower on af-c (following the movement)

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Focusing points are related to phase detection auto focus. Each point is a discrete phase detection sensor. They're in fixed locations. More points mean more choices of what part of the image can be focused on.

All m4/3 cameras use contrast detection in small areas of the image. I'm not familiar with the differences from one body to another, but my G2 allows the selection of four different sizes placed anywhere in the image. That's single area. The multi-area option automatically chooses a cluster of areas numbering from tree to five.

Fred

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    6630 AF points on my GH2. The smallest AF area has 102 different horizontal and 65 vertical positions, partly overlapping each other, in 3:2 aspect ratio. Would that be enough? :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The whole concept of contrast detect AF is that you don't have any AF points, the image sensor it's is also your AF sensor. One advantage is your AF area can now be just about any size and anywhere on the sensor, the disadvantage is the lack of pin point AF, a subject with both foreground and background elements/interference will be a problem, eg an animal or bird in a bush or grasses.

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Not really a problem if you're in the right mode. Most Panasonic m43 bodies have exactly what you call it, "pinpoint" mode AF, (the little cross symbol). My GX1 has it, just as precise as anything else you'd compare it to, also easier to see what it focused on, since it can magnify the area... Pinpoint can also be placed anywhere.

If you were to use AF areas, then it's probably closer to allowing your SLR camera to choose its own AF point (and not focusing on the bird you want).

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the GH1 and GH2 and 100-300, and the pin point AF is still confused easily compared to my DSLR's.

10. tom-in-hk

tom-in-hk New to Mu-43

May 28, 2012
    Is there any way to have the camera AF focus to function similar to the 'one shot' function on a dslr? If i have My gx1 on single focus point, if i focus on the centre, as soon as I reframe the shot, the focus will follow the centre located focus point.
    I know I can press the afl/ ael button, but would like it to act as my dslr does.
    Thanks,
    Tom

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Switch from continuous auto focus to single auto focus.

Fred

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Or half press and hold ... Or set up the AE/AF LOCK button to work that way ... Or frame the shot as you like it and adjust the focus point where you want it (by either touch screen or arrow keys)

13. tom-in-hk

tom-in-hk New to Mu-43

May 28, 2012
    Thanks Fred and TC,

I was 90% sure it was set up as Fred mentioned, but now that I tried again, it seems to be locking now. Not sure if I changed some other setting in the process to make that happen, but it is working now, so I'm happy.

TC I have disabled the touch screen, as I found I inadvertently changed settings when it was active. I also used the Af ae lock, but prefer the simple focus-recompose process, as I shoot more portraits..

Thanks again,
    Tom

14. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

How do you enable pinpoint focus on the GH2? I know the G3 has it but I havn't come across it on the GH2.