AF of Panasonic Lenses on Olympus Bodies

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Swandy, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I just received the Panasonic 12-32 Pancake lens with the intention of using it on my Olympus Pen-F. I have been "testing" it against the Olympus 14-42EZ Pancake that I already have and noticed that in low to dim lighting, the Panasonic lens hunts much more often and even when it obtains AF lock, it takes quite a bit longer (several seconds) than the Olympus lens.
    Now I realize that these two zooms are relatively slow as far as Aperture is concerned and from the reviews I have read the Panasonic is supposed to have very quick AF. I was just surprised at how often - aiming the camera at the same spot or object - the Olympus lens would AF much better.
    Anyone else's experience with the Panasonic 12-32 on an Olympus body? Thanks.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Several seconds longer? There is a problem. Even the 4/3 lenses can focus in a couple of seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I haven't noticed any problems in good light, if anything the 45-175mm is one of the fastest lenses I've used (Easily on par with various Olympus lenses I've used). Dim light isn't really applicable as I would never use an f4-5.6 lens in said conditions (f1.x exists for a reason).

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the 12-32, 12-35, 35-100/2.8 and 7-14 Panasonic zooms and they all focus fine on my Oly bodies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mzzyhmd

mzzyhmd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    Muztaba
    You may hear a rattling noise using pana lenses on oly bodies. At least I have this issue with my 25mm PL, and I haven't found any solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    In dim light it's not easy to find good contrast. Are you using a fixed AF box placed in the same location?

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It happens... sometimes the same manufacturer's body is better at driving their own lenses than the other. I have both Panasonic and Olympis bodies and lenses (including the 12-32) and have definitely noticed a small bit of sluggishness with some Panasonic lenses on Olympis bodies. The difference is miniscule though.

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    And remember to use larger AF box when using your Olympus camera, even if using Oly lens with it. It makes focusing much better in low light.

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Turn off flicker reduction.
    Setup -> Cistom menu D (Disp/Speaker/PC) -> Second page -> Flicker reduction "Off"
    On an E-M1 it's the above at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    My 12-32 focuses quite instantly on my E-M10

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Austin

Austin New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2016
    Utah
    The P12-32 on my E-M5 II always focus very quick for me, although I don't use it much in really low light.

12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have and use the PL15, PL25 P42.5, P12-35 f2.8, P35-100 f2.8, and P45-175 PZ on both of my E-M1's, and never have any issues with AF speed or accuracy.

13. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The rattling noise probably comes from the aperture diaphragm that opens and closes continuosly - I get that with Panasonic and Sigma lenses on Olympus bodies (I actually still have to test for that on the GX80 - I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but it may be present, too), though usually only after playing around with framing/focusing for a while. It's a bit unsettling, but no real problem. In many cases (the Panasonic 20mm being a case in point), it's not present immediately after switching on the camera, but starts several seconds later.

M.

14. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    All Olympus bodies E-PM2 and later has flicker reduction function that completely eliminated rattling on PL25.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 app