AF noise on Olympus 75mm f/1.8

campbellcj

Mu-43 Regular
I saw some other threads mentioning "robotic" sounding autofocus noises from the Oly 75mm f/1.8 but they were older posts in the wrong (camera not lens) forum so I thought I'd try here.

I actually sold my lens recently, as I realized I was never using it and this focal length is longer than what I typically shoot with u4/3rds. I bought it last year and it has barely been used -- literally 3 or 4 times. The buyer returned it to me claiming the noise is not normal and the AF should be completely silent, but for sure my lens is not damaged and its image quality is fantastic.

What's the verdict on the noise? Should I send it in under warranty, or is the noise actually normal and this guy was smoking crack?

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The noise is normal as far as everything I've read online when I bought it when it first came out. Olympus said it was silent AF, but it literally isn't. "Robotic" is definitely how I would describe it.

verbatimium

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Martin
I have owned 2 75mm lenses before, and also tried a friends out before I purchased mine. So in total I have tried 3 lenses. All 3 were not completely silent compared to other Olympus primes such as the 45mm. If the room is quite you will hear what I would consider as a "Robotic" sound coming from it. This is absolutely normal.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, the lens is definitely not completely silent, so the guy was either mistaken or changed his mind and is grinding you to get free return shipping.

charcoalblack

Mu-43 Regular
I just got one recently and I did notice a similar sound to the PL25, the rattlenoise sound when going from really bright to dark areas. Not sure if using a hood makes a difference. I am chalking it up as normal as pictures are fine.

hese

Mu-43 Rookie
Mine keeps robotic noise as well. I can understand the buyers reaction, i do remember reading from reviews that focus is silent. Didn't feel like it.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Not as quiet as my 25mm f1.8 or 15mm f1.7, quieter than my 45mm Macro.

However, I will say that my "loud" m4/3 lenses are still much quieter than my "silent" DSLR lenses were.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom