AF noise on Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by campbellcj, Sep 12, 2014.

1. campbellcj

campbellcj Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I saw some other threads mentioning "robotic" sounding autofocus noises from the Oly 75mm f/1.8 but they were older posts in the wrong (camera not lens) forum so I thought I'd try here.

I actually sold my lens recently, as I realized I was never using it and this focal length is longer than what I typically shoot with u4/3rds. I bought it last year and it has barely been used -- literally 3 or 4 times. The buyer returned it to me claiming the noise is not normal and the AF should be completely silent, but for sure my lens is not damaged and its image quality is fantastic.

What's the verdict on the noise? Should I send it in under warranty, or is the noise actually normal and this guy was smoking crack?

2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    The noise is normal as far as everything I've read online when I bought it when it first came out. Olympus said it was silent AF, but it literally isn't. "Robotic" is definitely how I would describe it.

3. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Mine also is a little noisy compared to, e.g., my copy of the Olympus 45mm.

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I have owned 2 75mm lenses before, and also tried a friends out before I purchased mine. So in total I have tried 3 lenses. All 3 were not completely silent compared to other Olympus primes such as the 45mm. If the room is quite you will hear what I would consider as a "Robotic" sound coming from it. This is absolutely normal.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, the lens is definitely not completely silent, so the guy was either mistaken or changed his mind and is grinding you to get free return shipping.

6. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I just got one recently and I did notice a similar sound to the PL25, the rattlenoise sound when going from really bright to dark areas. Not sure if using a hood makes a difference. I am chalking it up as normal as pictures are fine.

7. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Definitely noisier autofocus than the 45, 25, and 12mm Olympus primes I have. Also hunts more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hese

hese New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Mine keeps robotic noise as well. I can understand the buyers reaction, i do remember reading from reviews that focus is silent. Didn't feel like it.

9. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    Mine as well...not completely silent.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yep - completely normal. Mine does it too.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not as quiet as my 25mm f1.8 or 15mm f1.7, quieter than my 45mm Macro.

However, I will say that my "loud" m4/3 lenses are still much quieter than my "silent" DSLR lenses were.