AF Nikkor?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zacster, Nov 10, 2011.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I was looking at my AF Nikkor, the kit lens on my old N60 film camera, but I don't see a focus ring, it is totally automatic. Could this work on a MU43 with an adapter, or do I need to able to focus manually? I have old screw mount lenses too, Yashica and a bad Vivitar T4 zoom. Will these work too?

When I pulled out the camera my kids were amazed that we owned such a thing as they'd never seen it. But we took lots of pics of them with it, and it isn't as old as they think, probably only 15 years or so.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    What Nikkor AF lens is it? I don't recall any AF Nikkor's without a focus ring.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chances are that it's not worth adapting, if it's a zoom lens that came with an N60. On the bright side, there is a huge used market for Nikon, so sell the lens for what it's worth on your local classifieds, and use that money for m4/3 gear. Kudos if it's a 24-85mm AF-S, because it's in high demand for D700 users.

4. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    It's a 35-80. It has a manual aperture if wanted, but no focus. I'll have to check prices on these things, but I doubt I'd sell it anyway.

Ahh, I found it. That outer ring that doesn't turn. I Googled the lens and it was explained. There is an AF lock on the body that I didn't see. I also hadn't taken the lens off. It does have a manual focus, but not what I'd call a precise one. And taking the lens off made me realize how cheaply made it is.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's not true; every Nikon lens has a focus ring. It's probably on the very front of the lens. Again though, that lens isn't really a star, not worth adapting. Don't waste your money, see if you can get $20-$40 on it on Craigslist, unless you want to keep it around to play with film once in a while. The lenses worth adapting are usually prime lenses (i.e. "non-zooms") like the 60mm micro, 105mm f/2.5, etc.