AF+MF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mkay, Sep 7, 2017.

1. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Hey quick question.

I used AF, but dont like where it AF focused to or its dark. So I manual focus, using peaking.

Great just where I want it go to take picture it blurs the image because it tries to AF and I loose the MF I set.

Do I have to disable half press AF to get this to work? I thought the camera would be smart enough to know I went manual and then I would have to press a button to go back to manual. or for instance it wouldn't AF if the zoom is in M-Zoom etc.

Can someone explain it to me?

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    mkay, what camera and lens are you using?

3. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Sorry totally forgot!!! I should just throw that into my sig while I am at it.

Em5[MkII] - 14-50mm @ f3.5 [Kit]

4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Enable S-AF+MF from the SCP. When you focus, hold down half press to acquire autofocus. If you need to adjust further manually, start turning the focus ring while still holding the half press. Your focus peaking will kick in for as long as you are turning the focus ring. The throw of the manual focus will be much finer than with regular MF, which is good since you are only making fine adjustments. If you let go of the shutter button, the manual focus will stop and you will have to start over, since by half pressing again you will re-engage autofocus. When you have the focus you want, fully depress the shutter button. It takes some getting used to at first, especially after using a DSLR, however it does work well. In fact, I usually keep my camera on the S-AF+MF setting.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Ah thats the ticket adjust while still half pressed! Thank you so much! That will get some getting used to for sure. But its what I needed to know!

6. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Another way to do it is to set a mode for the AEL button to S-AF. Then you can MF using the focus ring and not worry about maintaining the 1/2 shutter press.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Thanks nub, Ill try that too and see what I like better

You can disable the shutter half press thing too, and just review that the shot was in focus?

8. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
  9. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Ill go with your method nub, just seems more natural. Thanks!

10. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Made the HDR button focus start its perfect now! :)

Thanks again nub