AF/MF switch WITHOUT menus on E-M5? (ie: AF-S + M option?)

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi,

Is there any way to have a hybrid AF/MF setup on the E-M5? Basically, what I want is for it to be in AF, but as soon as I touch the focus ring, automatically switch to MF.

Is that possible? I read on another thread that apparently some Olympus cameras have an "AF-S + M" option. Such a thing sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't recall seeing that on my camera.

Right now I have my Fn1 button dedicated to AF/MF switch, so it's not a HUGE ordeal switching over, but I'm always looking for ways to make the operation smoother, and I could always use that Fn1 spot for another operation.

Thanks and have a great day!

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Thank you, gentlemen. I use the SCP only to check settings, not to change them (I prefer having everything on buttons), but this is helpful. I've been playing around with it and I think I'm going keep the Fn button's functionality, but switched it so now it toggles between AF-S + MF and MF. :D

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you have any of the Olympus lenses with the manual focus clutch function on the focus ring (the 12mm, 17mm f/1.8, 75mm and 12-40mm PRO zoom) you can swap between auto and manual focus just by engaging/disengaging the clutch. I suspect the new 40-150mm PRO zoom will also have the same feature.

It's only an option with those particular lenses but it is another way of being able to swap to manual focus if you are using one of those lenses.

D

Deleted member 20897

I used to shoot with the S-AF + MF, but had to switch out and back to S-AF only.

My big fat fingers used to bump the focus ring and throw images OOF way too often, and I did not notice it on the EM5 because there was no focus peaking option.

Not saying you shouldn't do the hybrid focus method, but if you do, take care on how you hold the camera and how you interact with the focus ring.

Real Name
Nic
I used to shoot with the S-AF + MF, but had to switch out and back to S-AF only.

My big fat fingers used to bump the focus ring and throw images OOF way too often, and I did not notice it on the EM5 because there was no focus peaking option.

Not saying you shouldn't do the hybrid focus method, but if you do, take care on how you hold the camera and how you interact with the focus ring.

I turned off S-AF + MF when I bought my PL 25mm. The focus ring on that lens turns with very little resistance and just using my hand to support the bottom the camera and lens I would usually turn the ring a tiny bit each time.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
You only need to change it once and leave it...

With S-AF + MF set, you auto focus as usual but just turn the focus ring when needed, as you requested (?). No buttons needed. No SCP/menu diving.

Yup...I know. That's what I did. :) I somehow missed the AF-S + M setting when I set up the camera when I bought it, and since I don't sue the SCP to change settings, I haven't run across it since, that's all.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
And yeah, thanks, I know the focus ring on my 9-18 turns with a mild breeze, so I think that may be an issue...we'll see. :D

newbert

Mu-43 Veteran
You only need to change it once and leave it...

With S-AF + MF set, you auto focus as usual but just turn the focus ring when needed, as you requested (?). No buttons needed. No SCP/menu diving.

Until reading thru this thread, I'd never tried the S-AF + MF setting on my E-M5. I just tried it -- After it switched to MF (by turning the focus ring), it goes right back to S-AF when I half-press the shutter. So, what am I doing wrong? (Note: I have MF set to zoom in while focusing when active....)

Thanks.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Until reading thru this thread, I'd never tried the S-AF + MF setting on my E-M5. I just tried it -- After it switched to MF (by turning the focus ring), it goes right back to S-AF when I half-press the shutter. So, what am I doing wrong? (Note: I have MF set to zoom in while focusing when active....)

Thanks.

The idea is that you half press the shutter and keep it pressed, then with your left hand you can make a final adjustment (for example getting the half-obscured bird in focus) before pressing the shutter all the way down.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

Half-press (and hold) the shutter, and THEN you can use the ring for MF.

Barry

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom