AF/MF switch WITHOUT menus on E-M5? (ie: AF-S + M option?)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Nov 20, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi,

Is there any way to have a hybrid AF/MF setup on the E-M5? Basically, what I want is for it to be in AF, but as soon as I touch the focus ring, automatically switch to MF.

Is that possible? I read on another thread that apparently some Olympus cameras have an "AF-S + M" option. Such a thing sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't recall seeing that on my camera.

Right now I have my Fn1 button dedicated to AF/MF switch, so it's not a HUGE ordeal switching over, but I'm always looking for ways to make the operation smoother, and I could always use that Fn1 spot for another operation.

Thanks and have a great day!

2. Is that not available through the Super Control Panel i.e. S-AF + MF

• Like Like x 2
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yes it is. Very easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I just press OK to bring up the side menu, which allows me to scroll through the most used options, including focus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you, gentlemen. I use the SCP only to check settings, not to change them (I prefer having everything on buttons), but this is helpful. I've been playing around with it and I think I'm going keep the Fn button's functionality, but switched it so now it toggles between AF-S + MF and MF. :D

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you have any of the Olympus lenses with the manual focus clutch function on the focus ring (the 12mm, 17mm f/1.8, 75mm and 12-40mm PRO zoom) you can swap between auto and manual focus just by engaging/disengaging the clutch. I suspect the new 40-150mm PRO zoom will also have the same feature.

It's only an option with those particular lenses but it is another way of being able to swap to manual focus if you are using one of those lenses.

7. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    You only need to change it once and leave it...

With S-AF + MF set, you auto focus as usual but just turn the focus ring when needed, as you requested (?). No buttons needed. No SCP/menu diving.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I used to shoot with the S-AF + MF, but had to switch out and back to S-AF only.

My big fat fingers used to bump the focus ring and throw images OOF way too often, and I did not notice it on the EM5 because there was no focus peaking option.

Not saying you shouldn't do the hybrid focus method, but if you do, take care on how you hold the camera and how you interact with the focus ring.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I turned off S-AF + MF when I bought my PL 25mm. The focus ring on that lens turns with very little resistance and just using my hand to support the bottom the camera and lens I would usually turn the ring a tiny bit each time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...I know. That's what I did. :) I somehow missed the AF-S + M setting when I set up the camera when I bought it, and since I don't sue the SCP to change settings, I haven't run across it since, that's all.

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    And yeah, thanks, I know the focus ring on my 9-18 turns with a mild breeze, so I think that may be an issue...we'll see. :D

12. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Until reading thru this thread, I'd never tried the S-AF + MF setting on my E-M5. I just tried it -- After it switched to MF (by turning the focus ring), it goes right back to S-AF when I half-press the shutter. So, what am I doing wrong? (Note: I have MF set to zoom in while focusing when active....)

Thanks.

13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The idea is that you half press the shutter and keep it pressed, then with your left hand you can make a final adjustment (for example getting the half-obscured bird in focus) before pressing the shutter all the way down.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Half-press (and hold) the shutter, and THEN you can use the ring for MF.

Barry

15. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    AHA! I learned something new today.

Thanks!