AF Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chicks, Jul 21, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    OK, I've been happily shooting with thrift-store MF lenses, mostly the Minolta Rokkor-X 50/1.4, for a few months. MF is pretty simple for stationary subjects with the VF-2 and MF assist. Life is good.

So, I keep reading about how much better life is with the PL25 and Oly 45, have a bunch of Amazon points for the Oly, plus the corporate discount for the Panny. Have been trying both out for a few days. Perfect for the cats and dog, who never want to sit still for portraits!

Still trying to figure out how to get the focus exactly where I want it, though. The camera, an E-P2, will always pick the focal point for me, which is frustrating. What am I missing?

Here's an example, with the focal point obviously wrong, on the fence insteat of the branch needles.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'm not sure about Olympus camera settings but on my Panasonics there's multiple AF methods:

1) one area - either center point, or directed via the touch screen or arrow keys to the desired spot
    2) pinpoint focus - single center point, uses slower but presumably more accurate method to pinpoint focus on the selected spot
    3) multi-area - selects focus on multiple areas in the photo by taking a best guess
    4) Face-detection - automatically selects a focus point with priority on faces
    5) tracking AF - lock onto a subject and track it across the frame for action shooting

I am assuming the Olympus cameras have similar options, so you probably want to select one area focus either center-point or directed, and use that to lock onto a specific area in the photo rather than letting it use multi-area focus which lets the camera decide.
  3. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Have a look here, under "Olympus E-P2 Autofocus". It should be easier to read than the manual :wink: