1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

AF Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chicks, Jul 21, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    OK, I've been happily shooting with thrift-store MF lenses, mostly the Minolta Rokkor-X 50/1.4, for a few months. MF is pretty simple for stationary subjects with the VF-2 and MF assist. Life is good.

So, I keep reading about how much better life is with the PL25 and Oly 45, have a bunch of Amazon points for the Oly, plus the corporate discount for the Panny. Have been trying both out for a few days. Perfect for the cats and dog, who never want to sit still for portraits!

Still trying to figure out how to get the focus exactly where I want it, though. The camera, an E-P2, will always pick the focal point for me, which is frustrating. What am I missing?

Here's an example, with the focal point obviously wrong, on the fence insteat of the branch needles.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not sure about Olympus camera settings but on my Panasonics there's multiple AF methods:

1) one area - either center point, or directed via the touch screen or arrow keys to the desired spot
    2) pinpoint focus - single center point, uses slower but presumably more accurate method to pinpoint focus on the selected spot
    3) multi-area - selects focus on multiple areas in the photo by taking a best guess
    4) Face-detection - automatically selects a focus point with priority on faces
    5) tracking AF - lock onto a subject and track it across the frame for action shooting

I am assuming the Olympus cameras have similar options, so you probably want to select one area focus either center-point or directed, and use that to lock onto a specific area in the photo rather than letting it use multi-area focus which lets the camera decide.

3. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Have a look here, under "Olympus E-P2 Autofocus". It should be easier to read than the manual :wink: