AF Confirm / IS Programmable chip for Micro 4/3

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Saw a reference on that other site to this (AF Confirm / IS Programmable chip for Micro 4/3 EP2 GF1 - eBay (item 230519768021 end time Sep-11-10 21:38:00 PDT), so I went and ordered one:

View attachment 149954

Once it arrives, I'll attach it to one of my M mount to m4/3s adapters and see how it goes with my M mount lenses. From the report on the other site, it does appear to work, but needs some practice. The good thing about this seems to be that, if it does work, coupled with the VF-2, it should be a lot easier to get quick focus with manual lenses.

I guess it's a matter of nothing tried, nothing gained. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Hmm, it does look interesting, I thought IS is normally enabled with legacy lens in-body with Olympus cameras?

It is and you set the focal length in the IS setting quick menu. I'm not quite sure what the chip is supposed to do with the IS activation.

Cheers

Ray

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
It is and you set the focal length in the IS setting quick menu. I'm not quite sure what the chip is supposed to do with the IS activation.

Cheers

Ray

Looks like all it does is feed the pre-set focal lenght data to the camera.

It would be interesting to know how effective the AF confirm is and how easy it is to program as it says programming is via the camera.

kiynook

Mu-43 Regular
Ray,

I have got one for my Canon FD adapters for my E-P2. Programming the lens focal length and maximum aperture is a 30 seconds task once you get the hang of it.

My AF confirm is not consistent as for some of my FD lenses, I do get both solid green light and beep.

I would love to learn your experience. My supplier reminded me to program the front and back focus settings which I am lost as I don't understand what are these?

Thanks.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray,

I have got one for my Canon FD adapters for my E-P2. Programming the lens focal length and maximum aperture is a 30 seconds task once you get the hang of it.

My AF confirm is not consistent as for some of my FD lenses, I do get both solid green light and beep.

I would love to learn your experience. My supplier reminded me to program the front and back focus settings which I am lost as I don't understand what are these?

Thanks.

From what I read on the other site, getting consistent focus notification possibly boils down to getting used to how it works. I don't ever use the beep, so if it simply gives me a confirmation light, that's fine by me. As I'm also using the VF-2, I should be able to easily confirm that focus is OK when the light comes on. Once I get used to it, I may be able to rely on the chip without referring to the VF-2.

The front/back focus control I think is there for adjusting lenses that don't focus correctly. I'm not sure if this will apply here, but you never know, as some adapters can be slightly out of correct focus alignment.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
OK, I received the chip this morning and installed it as per the guide. The fitting was relatively easy and looks to be near perfect. Unfortunately the chip does absolutely nothing. I've emailed thesupplier and wait to see what sort of response I get.

One other thing about this chip is that you can't use lenses like the Voigtlander 28mm f2, as the rear lens element housing protrudes past the bayonet flange and won't fit past the chip, which partially blocks the mount opening. I don't know how the poster at the other place got his to work, but this one doesn't. I tried it with the EP-2 and a Minolta M mount 90mm f4 lens, couldn't be bothered trying any others as it shouldn't make any difference.

Live and learn I guess.

Cheers

Ray

pcnyc

Mu-43 Regular
I have gotten these AF-confirm chips to work on 4/3 cameras, they work ok, you half press and hold the shutter like you are trying to AF, then you turn the ring to MF and it beeps when the focus is right. the problem for me is that when using fast lenses, sometimes you just can't react fast enough when you hear the beep to stop turning (or maybe i just turned too fast), so the focus is still a bit off, so you still need to fine adjust it, kinda defeats the purpose so I ended up using MF mode most of the time even with the chip.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have gotten these AF-confirm chips to work on 4/3 cameras, they work ok, you half press and hold the shutter like you are trying to AF, then you turn the ring to MF and it beeps when the focus is right. the problem for me is that when using fast lenses, sometimes you just can't react fast enough when you hear the beep to stop turning (or maybe i just turned too fast), so the focus is still a bit off, so you still need to fine adjust it, kinda defeats the purpose so I ended up using MF mode most of the time even with the chip.

Does the chip "tell' the camera the focal length automatically?

How does one program the chip with the focal length?

If AF and focal length + IS work, I'd be inclined to buy and chip a few adapters specifically to my most used adapted lenses. Save me the trouble of setting the focal length manually in-camera.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Does the chip "tell' the camera the focal length automatically?

How does one program the chip with the focal length?

If AF and focal length + IS work, I'd be inclined to buy and chip a few adapters specifically to my most used adapted lenses. Save me the trouble of setting the focal length manually in-camera.

You have to set the focall ength like you do with IS for manual lenses. The only problem with the instructions is that they are for 4/3s cameras, so things aren't quite the same.

I also think that I may have been sent the wrong chip, as the m4/3s cameras have 11 pins and 4/3s have 9 pins. The chip has 7 pins that are supposed to align with the 7 middle ones on 4/3s. Mine aligns with the 9 middle ones, with one exposed at either end.

Cheers

Ray

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ray the eBay listing photo definitely shows only 7 contacts - I have asked the seller a question via the listing to see if I get a response (as I'm sure you have asked). Will see what comes out of it.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ray the eBay listing photo definitely shows only 7 contacts - I have asked the seller a question via the listing to see if I get a response (as I'm sure you have asked). Will see what comes out of it.

Received a reply:

Dear bilzmale,

Hi

Sorry the description is not updated as they're copied from the 4/3 listing.

As long the chip is fix to adapter with the alignment template (included), it will work.

Best regards
Paul

- tagotech

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I received an e-mail from Paul today and he asked for me to send him the chip to figure out why it's not working. It'll have to go along with the M mount adapter, else it'll go in pieces. The alignment of the chip is perfect, so if it's supposed to work, it should.

Cheers

Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom