1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AF-C on the EM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Right now I have the EM-5 and love it. I am looking to get a second body and am thinking the EM-1 is what I want. I use only m4/3rds lenes. My questions is, how much better is the AF-C on the EM-1 than on the EM-5? With the EM-5 at such a great price, is the difference in cost worth the better AF?

Randy

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My personal opinion - the EM1 is WAY better than the EM5 when it comes to C-AF. The PDAF and new firmware 3.0 make it a much better continuous shooter. I've even noticed on the S-AF on some lenses has vastly improved after the firmware update. I posted about it previously here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/75275/

I've been able to successfully use the C-AF on the EM1 with the 40-150/2.8 at an equestrian event with good success and the lighting was very poor. I still need to test out the capabilities at a more erratic target sport like football/soccer/hockey to know if it can compete at all with my DSLR setup.

If you seriously need the C-AF and want to stay within m43 ecosystem - your 2 best choices are the Olympus EM1 with firmware 3.0 or the Panasonic GH4.

In regards to your question about worth - depends on what you shoot and your needs, but if your gear is holding you back, then that is one of the best/top reasons for upgrading.

3. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Also remember, not just the C-AF improved. Better EVF, better sealing (supposedly), Wifi, better controls, higher shutter speed, better body grip, higher resolution rear LCD :D, oh and more AF points :)

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I can only comment on the improvement after fw3.0. With the 40-150Pro the C-AF performance has gone from "I couldn't be bothered" to " I think I should just leave this permanently on". The improvement in my opinion is dramatic

• Like Like x 1
  5. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    E-M5 C-AF is useless, imho. Never use it.
    E-M1 C-AF is excellent. I no longer use S-AF on my E-M1 at all.

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Love C-AF on the EM1.

-Joe

7. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you everyone, EM-1 it is.