AF-C on the EM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Right now I have the EM-5 and love it. I am looking to get a second body and am thinking the EM-1 is what I want. I use only m4/3rds lenes. My questions is, how much better is the AF-C on the EM-1 than on the EM-5? With the EM-5 at such a great price, is the difference in cost worth the better AF?

Randy

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My personal opinion - the EM1 is WAY better than the EM5 when it comes to C-AF. The PDAF and new firmware 3.0 make it a much better continuous shooter. I've even noticed on the S-AF on some lenses has vastly improved after the firmware update. I posted about it previously here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/75275/

I've been able to successfully use the C-AF on the EM1 with the 40-150/2.8 at an equestrian event with good success and the lighting was very poor. I still need to test out the capabilities at a more erratic target sport like football/soccer/hockey to know if it can compete at all with my DSLR setup.

If you seriously need the C-AF and want to stay within m43 ecosystem - your 2 best choices are the Olympus EM1 with firmware 3.0 or the Panasonic GH4.

In regards to your question about worth - depends on what you shoot and your needs, but if your gear is holding you back, then that is one of the best/top reasons for upgrading.

3. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Also remember, not just the C-AF improved. Better EVF, better sealing (supposedly), Wifi, better controls, higher shutter speed, better body grip, higher resolution rear LCD :D, oh and more AF points :)

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I can only comment on the improvement after fw3.0. With the 40-150Pro the C-AF performance has gone from "I couldn't be bothered" to " I think I should just leave this permanently on". The improvement in my opinion is dramatic

• Like Like x 1
  5. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    E-M5 C-AF is useless, imho. Never use it.
    E-M1 C-AF is excellent. I no longer use S-AF on my E-M1 at all.

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Love C-AF on the EM1.

-Joe

7. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you everyone, EM-1 it is.

Randy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.