1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF button on top left side of EM 1 Markii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mary, Jan 2, 2019.

1. mary

mary Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 13, 2018
    According to the menu this button when pushed shows various AF modes which can be changed on the fly. My camera shows flash modes. Same with HDR button..does not show HDR modes but bracketing modes. How do I correct this to the default.without resetting the camera.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    Hendrik
    In the Custom Menu (gear), B (Button/Dial/Lever), Fn Lever Settings - change Switch Function to Off.
    When this feature is engaged, the button functions are switched to the behavior you describe when the rear lever is in position 2.

3. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    Thank you Hendrik..I searched for one hour and finally gave up.This menu is absolutely insane. Switched from Nikon system which was so much better. Olympus needs to revamp. I am about to lose my mind.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Olympus menus drove me crazy for a while; I wasn't used to diving through digital camera menus at all. Once you wrap your head around the Oly structure, you should have no problems (for the most part). The SCP deals with most settings once you've gone through the Custom Menu and other sections and set everything up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Better to leave switch functions On, like Olympus set it. That switch is an extemely good feature. Now you know what the switch does, you can use it.

I expect you have worked out that the switch does important things to the operation of the front and rear dials, giving access to changing ISO and colour balance.

6. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    I agree its getting easier..but for the average Joe..the Om-D 10 III is much easier to navigate and produces beautiful images. I bought the EM 1 Mark ii used and ready to sell it. I am fairly accomplished with tech stuff but this is maddening.

7. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    It’s definitely a patience thing. Once you get comfy with it, every other camera seems primitive. The options and combinations allow function that no other camera offers. The problem is also that. Most people don’t know what is possible, or what they want if theyve never been offered it before. And when combinations conflict...there is no resource. I try on my site...but I still get very unique questions all the time about combinations I’ve never thought of. I think Olympus should have had a stage menu system. Option 1 is basic menu and functions that can’t be changed pretty much and a simple menu. Like most other cameras. And just a few custom functions. Switch to stage two and it unlocks the deep menu and combinations we currently have. I think people would appreciate that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Hello fellow Nikonian!

I had, and still have, some issues delving into the Olympus menu. It is getting easier though. Nikon was really easy, but doesn't do as much as Olympus. Olympus threw the kitchen sink into the E-M1 II.

You might want to buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Olympus-OM-D-M1-Mark/dp/1681982544 It explains a lot of stuff in depth. He's added a lot in the online appendix as well, some 70 pages and the book already has 600+ pages.

Fwiw, I rarely pick up my two Nikons anymore. The Olympus (I bought the Pen-F first, followed by the E-M1 II.) is a lot more fun to use overall and if you like the camera, that seems to make you a better photographer too. The weight of my Nikon roller bag is an "ugh!" moment to drag it around so I don't use it as much.

Good luck!

9. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    Thanks guys..two things confound me. On the Nikon system you could override the lens with manual focus..easy peasy. My new Olympus is a pain in the butt in CF mode. Have to switch the dial as far as I can figure. Secondly, in M mode- Auto ISO, its seems impossible to use exposure comp like Nikon which drops the ISO down and leaves the shutter and aperture alone. I have configured the C2 button but it does not allow change in aperture as I am using the aperture dial to use as exposure comp button. So I set up the multi selector to change the aperture. My brain hurts. My latest quandary involves viewing my photos on second sd card..I will figure it out eventually but I have spent the better part of 25 hours on this beast of a camera. I agree with Mack that I have taken more pics in the last month then I did all year with my D750. Its a pleasure to take along on a casual shoot (EM 10 markiii} and the Em1 Mark ii will be my wildlife camera as I find the Mark 10 lacking in CF. I may sound like I am not happy but when I walk out the door with this tiny little camera..I am a happy camper. I just don't like all the surprises out in the field when things run a muck.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. John Simpson

John Simpson Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2018
    Stroud, Glos, UK
    John Simpson
    Hi Mary, I also got a PenF about a year ago, bought an EM1.2 in October and am still scratching my head over some things and have watched a hell of a lot of Youtubes. But I havent taken my Nikon D810 out of its case in 2 months now and have already sold one Nikon lens .... Stick with the OMD, it gets a bit easier after a while LOL.

11. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    It’s a learning curve. You’ll get there.

To view photos on the other card, hold down the playback button and rotate either(?) of the dials. This will allow you to change from card 1 to 2.

To override autofocus try either:
    1. Selecting SF+MF focus mode;
    2. Using the snap back focus ring on Olympus PRO lenses; or,
    3. Adopt back-button focus (further instructions may be needed if you want to go this route).
    For exposure comp in Manual mode...

...well yeah, that’s probably not as sophisticated on the Olympus as you’re used to on the Nikon.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. John Simpson

Nov 7, 2018
    Stroud, Glos, UK
    John Simpson
    HAHA ....... another one I haven't spotted! Thx.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    To be fair to you, this one is very well hidden :rolleyes: 

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. John Simpson

Nov 7, 2018
    Stroud, Glos, UK
    John Simpson
    Hi Simon. I got the shop to set up back button focus before I'd buy it as I've always used that. But I'm not sure I see the link between that and manual focus ..... not that I manual focus much to be honest. But out of curiousity ......

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    A suggestion. You are fighting the camera and the Olympus designers, instead of going with the flow. You keep changing settings and it just makes things harder for you. Why not start again. Reset the camnera to how it was designed. The Olympus settings are sensible. Learn to use it like that and only then start changing things.

However I will answer some of your questions.

For example, learn to use the two positions of the switch. This is brilliant. In the top position the front dial is the exposure compensation (if in P, A, S modes). In M mode you have shutter speed and aperture. In the bottom position you have ISO and WB.

Manual focus. If you have pro lens like the 12-40, manual focus is just pulling the focus ring towards you. If not a Pro lens then (with switch in position 1) you simply press the AF button on the top and turn the rear dial to MF.

In M mode you can choose between having ISO change automatically or have it fixed. Go to menu E1, ISO-Auto. Change from P/A/S to All if you want Auto ISO in M mode. I prefer to leave it off in M mode, and simply set the shutter and aperture and ISO as I want, while watching the display to see what under/over exposure I am getting.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    If you set [Menu—>Gears—>A1–>AEL/AFL] to mode 3 for manual focus, and then select MF mode when shooting, you basically get autofocus when pressing the rear button and MF at all other times (i.e. when not pressing the back button).

I think there are similar ways of using S-AF and C-AF to do roughly the same thing but I’m away from the camera at the moment so can’t test.

17. John Simpson

Nov 7, 2018
    Stroud, Glos, UK
    John Simpson
    hi Simon. That sounds devilishly clever and I'll try it out tomorrow. I'm also v interested re the S-AF and C-AF idea. At the moment I've got the switch set up so that I can swap between either mode pretty instantly, and thats how I like it. But ..... it works most of the time then every now and again it doesnt change in the viewfinder display. Maybe I need to start another topic on that one?

Thanks for your time by the way.
    John S

18. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    Thanks Growitiger, I agree I am trying to set up the camera as Iam used to shooting..on Nikon gear. I am a back button shooter..so that was easy.I shoot all manual mode. I am a wildlife shooter so having the ability to use auto ISO in field and be able to tone down the exposure is huge for me. Birds don't wait while you fiddle around. It will come I hope.

19. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    This is brilliant..now I just have to figure out what mode I am in when depressing the ael/afl button (Back button focusing). I need it to be in CF. If you get time later could you share how to set it to CF in this clever mode. Thanks Mary

20. mary

Dec 13, 2018
    Not sure how I did it but the fn button when flipped to position one will change mode to CF which work for me. Birds in the bush sometimes require manual focus so this is just how Nikon works without all the fanfare. Thanks
    John, I my experience SF is wasting a function. In CF, if you let off the back button you have set the auto focus to single and then can recompose or just move your focus point to where you need it..hit the back button once in CF mode and shoot. Make sense?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.