AF area too large (E-PL1)?

Starred

Mu-43 Regular
Your supposed to focus on the eyes to get good portraits, but how can I do that with my E-PL1? The AF area seems to be too large, so how do I know if I'm focussing on nose, hair of eyes?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
You hit on one of the sorest subjects for the Pen cameras.
You can't adjust the size of the AF target point.
So, set the camera to do Face Detect and then the face will be in focus... That's about as good as it gets....

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I'm guessing Face Detect should take care of that.

Otherwise you can alter the AF behavior to either a single point (eg the center) or a different scan pattern.

jalex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jane
Actually there is a way to make the large box smaller which is what I do to focus in on the eyes. It's a rather hidden feature and a poster on another forum gave a detailed description on how to do it.
Is it OK for me to post the link?
If not It is a "sticky" at steve's digicams forum. Just go to the Olympus Micro four thirds forum and look for the sticky about how to change the size of the focus box in the EPL1. It really really helps make the focus more accurate!
jane

sblehm

Mu-43 Regular
I just went and found the instructions. It worked perfectly Thank you Jalex! This made my day!

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How do I get the focus box to move location...

I know last night when I first starting playing with the camera, shortly after it arrived, I got a screen with several boxes on it and I could cursor to different areas of the screen, but I haven't been able to find that option again.

Isabel

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
Isabel, if you're talking about bringing up a grid that you move the AF box around on, that's just a matter of pushing the left directional button- the one labeled "[...]".

Starred

Mu-43 Regular
here is the trick (from Steve's Digicam) :cool:

1. from the normal shooting screen, press the "zoom" button once.
2. press the "info" button once. 7x will be displayed in the bottom left corner.
3. press the "up"(exp. comp.) button once you get to 10x & the autofocus box gets smaller, press again you get 14x the auto focus box gets even smaller.
4. press "ok" Just Once now you can move the smaller box around using the keypad.
5. to go back to full size box just press the "ok" button once more.
6. The neat thing is that once you intially set your desired autofocus box size, it can be easily recalled just by hitting the zoom button once.

unless you press ok a second time the smaller autofocus point remains from shot to shot, when the camera is powered down the box resets to full size, just simply hit the zoom button once when you power it up & your back to the smaller autofocus point.

It is also confirmed that the autofocus speed is significantly increased due to less hunting

jalex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jane
I was going to post the link but see Starred beat me to it by posting the instructions!Cool.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
Very cool! I will have to try it. I was reading the review at imaging-resource.com and they mention there is a super secret way to do this but don't divulge what it is!

Basically, you can tell the camera to focus anywhere and at a custom size. I winder how it works shot to shot with a moving object.

Alas, it probably does not work with video.

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
Uh? Secret trick???
That's the way to make the magnification box smaller (to have the increased magnification), it's not a focus area.
Ehm... Sorry for being harsh... The first time I found that I was excited as you are, bur that's the magnification screen, that area just indicates the area that is going to be enlarged. The focus area is in the other screen, and it remains unchanged. And yes, it's too large...
The trick is somewhat similar in the panny, but in those cameras you actually reduce the focus area. Sorry. Oly has IS and better colour, quickness and precise focus (I mean area) are panny stuff for the moment.
The first one to have an oly and a panny couple will win a big prize.

shoturtle

the focus point can be decrease if you follow the steve digicam. I have used it and the af point is much smaller and you can move it all around the frame. And AF speed is increased. You are not changing the enlargement area. The AF point is smaller in the same size frame. So you can isolate what you want to focus on better.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
It seems to me that the focus point is being made smaller, and you can position it just about any where.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The focus point looks smaller but in use it reads the large box....
Brian Mosley posted about this on the forum someplace.
This is the biggest single reason I switched to the GF1.
I love the Pens but can't deal with the AF system.

shoturtle

I have been using the smaller AF point, and for my personal experience. I get much more accurate focus. But it really comes down to each person an their preference. It works for some and not for others.

Latest threads

Top Bottom