AF and green light indicator fails w/ 40-150 PRO

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Marine_Vet, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Marine_Vet

Marine_Vet New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    anthony semone
    4.1 firmware and associated firmware update on the lens. Confirmed it is in AF mode on the lens. Reset. Pulled battery and reinstalled. Pressing shutter release does not produce a focus response. I'm new to mu4/3 so I'm not sure what's up. Has worked flawlessly prior hereto. All advice greatly appreciated.

edit: 12-40 PRO and 75/1.8 work perfectly
  2. michaelbrooks

michaelbrooks New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
  3. michaelbrooks

Sep 3, 2012
    Reset again. All is well. Beats me wtf happened.
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Focus clutch ring? It happens, a lot.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. michaelbrooks

Sep 3, 2012
    Not entirely sure of what else, but that was a part of it.
  6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    If you had the ring on the lens in the wrong position it wasn't part of the problem, it was all of the problem. Everyone does this once.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. michaelbrooks

Sep 3, 2012
    :( Indeed so. Yet, even when I moved it back into its correct position, AF did not operate as it had, I.e., swiftly, green focus dot, etc. Is there some residual memory of it having been in the MF position? Sure is perplexing. AF working well now :)
  8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There is no "residual memory" involved, it's a setting which is either on or off.

If autofocus is on, then how fast it works depends on the lighting levels, contrast in the area you're focussing on since autofocus in M43 cameras uses contrast detection in most cases, and the lens you're using because it is the motors in the lens which move the lens elements back and forwards to achieve focus and some lenses have motors which move the lens elements faster than the motors in other lenses. The 40-150 PRO can focus extremely quickly in ideal circumstances, but it can have problems in some situations as can any lens. The difference in time taken for autofocus to lock focus will vary in different situations and the difference in the amount of time it takes can be noticeable. With a really low contrast target area such as a featureless white wall in low light, for example, it can take a while to achieve autofocus and you may even fail to achieve autofocus on occasion. Usually it works well, sometimes it doesn't.
  9. michaelbrooks

Sep 3, 2012
    Deactivating the MF clutch in the menu system appears to prevent inadvertent movement of the MF ring from mucking up AF.