Aesthetics

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Something bebrox wrote here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=511&page=2 got me thinking.

In fact I decided that it was a beautiful object,...

How much did the aesthetic qualities of your :43: camera factor into your buying decision?

For myself, on reflection, quite a lot actually. My initial reactions to seeing photos of the GF1 were, "that's gorgeous". When I held one in the shop I was immediately taken by what a fantastically beautiful piece of kit it was.

I don't recall having similar responses when buying other gear. When I bought my previous DSLR (Canon 40D) I fixated on the functionality, features and IQ. It was/is a fairly nondescript looking body and never had me looking at it thinking it was beautiful.

My GF1, on the other hand, I can take out of the bag and just spend a few moments admiring its design without even taking a shot.

I don't know whether this is really healthy :smile:

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
don't worry........ this is normal for the ep1 and the gf1 i have both and love to play, test shoot while sitting on the couch etc , fitting 110 lenses into ep1 lens caps is my latest hobby

the small form factor and the heritage of shape carried over from the world of rangefinders make these cameras wonderful pieces of industrial art

bebrox

Mu-43 Regular
Something bebrox wrote here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=511&page=2 got me thinking.

How much did the aesthetic qualities of your :43: camera factor into your buying decision?

For myself, on reflection, quite a lot actually. My initial reactions to seeing photos of the GF1 were, "that's gorgeous". When I held one in the shop I was immediately taken by what a fantastically beautiful piece of kit it was.

I don't recall having similar responses when buying other gear. When I bought my previous DSLR (Canon 40D) I fixated on the functionality, features and IQ. It was/is a fairly nondescript looking body and never had me looking at it thinking it was beautiful.

My GF1, on the other hand, I can take out of the bag and just spend a few moments admiring its design without even taking a shot.

Hi Bullfrog,

this is what the Camera make intended, it has to look and feel good. You are absolutely on the money when you describe functionality etc being the draw of say the Canon,this was the same with my Pentax Spotmatic and SFX. However the G1/GF1 look and feel so good, with those satisfying to operate controls, that they beg you to pick them up and play with them which can only lead you to explore your photography.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I think the way a camera looks and feels in use is very important... this is why the best advice for anyone considering similar cameras is to hold them both in your hands and see which one feels naturally the best to you.

The E-P1 is an absolute design classic imho - as bebrox put so well... it begs to be picked up and used. :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
I still watch the TV fondling my M3 or F2......sometimes..........the G1 is not quite the same

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
This is actually a very good question/discussion.
I fell in love with the Pen on looks at first sight. Unlike a few of my ex-wives, I still love just looking at it.
We are photographers and as such, visual excitement is always a large part of our reality.
The G1, as good a camera as it is.....has that Military look to it.
The Pen has a certain Elegance that eludes a definite description.

If you don't like the way your camera looks, it won't get used much........
It's the same as ex-wives, you'll trade it in......

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus

For myself, on reflection, quite a lot actually...

Had to laugh with recognition when I started reading! For me it's definitely healthy.:biggrin:

Amen to the aesthetics and the feel of the camera in your hands. I do believe the design of the Olympus new Pen cameras with their bow to the past's beautiful rangefinder cameras had a big effect on me. The comment about the camera's being a fine example of industrial design/art is also a great way of putting it.

kathyh

Mu-43 Regular
Ergonomics counts more

I agree the EP1 is far better looking than the G1 (which I have). But when I picked them up the G1 felt far better in my hands. For me, its ergonomics overs aesthetics.

Kathy

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
It matters to me. Not because I want to carry something that looks good to others but because I like looking at it myself.

I agree with what nTo said in another thread: "In the end...how we love the camera is much more important than how good the camera really is..."

The look of a camera is part of the connection, and the connection is part of why I go out and make photographs.

I happen to like the look and feel of all the MFT cameras, but if I had to pick my favorite looking combination, it would be mmjx83's GF1 with hood painted to match the body and lens.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason

For me, I liked the look of the EP-1 over the GF1. However, I actually like the look of the NX10 better. The grip looks stable. I have large hands, and as much as I liked the G1 in my hands, it felt big. The GF1 little grip did not inspire me, even though I have not tried one. The EP1 grip looked like it was actually designed, aesthetically, into the camera instead of being an after thought. It just doesn't bulge enough for me, but its quite tactile which I really like. I also loved the silver and metal look of the EP1 vs the plastic look of the GF1. I'm not sure how much lighter the GF1 is over the EP1, but there does seem to be the difference to me in the "look" of quality of the EP1.

AJShepherd

Mu-43 Rookie
I loved the styling of the E-P1 when I saw a picture of one, but the moment I decided to buy one was when I picked one up and held it in my hand. It just felt RIGHT - the shape, the texture, the heft. Not too big, not too small, not too light, not too heavy.

kengan

Mu-43 Rookie
Sorry to say this, but this topic sounds calculated to start divorce proceedings! :smile::smile:

Seriously, I must agree with all, in my case my G1, and in one other case, long ago it seems, I had a Canon T90 which garnered similar feelings.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Been there done that....but I still have my cameras.....
Unfortunately, my wife, Tanya...just loves my Pen 1.......
shooter:horse:

I wish I could get my GF to start playing with the Pen 1. She seems more "afraid" of it because its an expensive piece of equipment, and she's really not sure how to shoot with it. I've tried to help her, but she'd rather just have a p&s and just click away. I'm thinking of getting her the canon s90.

Dj

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Tanya won't touch the G1. She thinks it looks like a camera.
My 5D's forget it. The Leica's.....then it's divorce time.
Shooter

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
The blue G1 I have just looks and feels perfect in my hands. I've never been one to care that much for black electronics because of the heat here in Texas.

My prior FZ50 I bought was silver and when I tried to sell it on Craigslist, all the responders wanted a black one. When my daughter heard about me selling it, she wanted it. My thinking is the same engineer had a hand in the G1 and the FZ50, at least, I would like to think so.

So when I saw the blue G1 on Amazon, I had to have it. I thought these people have some balls selling 700 dollar cameras in blue and red.

Latest threads

Top Bottom