1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aerial Shooting with the Olympus OMD EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KiowaScout, Jul 25, 2012.

1. KiowaScout

KiowaScout New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Hello everyone,
    So I bought this camera in hopes that it would be a good option for some aerial photography while conducting both training back here in the states and actual operations overseas. So far I am absolutely pleased with its size and ease of use in our cockpit. I am new to such an advanced platform of camera however, so I really have a lot of learning to do to figure out the best settings to have selected in the camera for my needs. Here are some pictures that I took yesterday flying, as well as the first few that I took downtown Savannah the day that I unpacked the camera. Please let me know what settings you think that I should try.

I have been using the supplied kit 12-50mm lens with a B+W UV filter. I am expecting my 75-300mm lens to arrive any day now and will take it out the next time that I have a day flight. Not much can be done with this thing at night!

I'm still learning this forum so I'm not sure how to separate all of these to explain what each is, but my Album explains them I guess. The truck is a fast moving object shot, that I in turn took out of a fast moving object. I need to get the best focus/clarity possible in this scenario and I usually only have seconds to take the camera down, turn it on, and get the shot. Any ideas or tips?

formation.

LandingforGas. DownatPads. quickaction. savannahtrees. SavannahDoor. kookies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I think you can set a "MySet" with the configuration for fast-action shooting and assign it to a fn button. This way you have a fast shutter speed and either S-AF or C-AF, and maybe a Low continuous drive ready to go in a moment's notice.

Not sure how the 5-axis stabilization will perform with the 75-300 in a helicopter... It'll be amazing if it works well.

3. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you'll want to start with shutter priority at a fast speed and C-AF shooting mode when shooting subjects on the ground from the air.

When capturing the helicopter, I'd recommend slowing down the shutter a bit. With too high a shutter speed, you'll freeze the rotor blades and make it look like the helicopter's about to fall out of the sky. The image looks a lot better when you convey a sense of motion with the rotors.

4. KiowaScout

KiowaScout New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    cookie & jmw- Thanks for the advice!

I ended up not flying last night thanks weather but that means that I am going in all day today so I will take the camera out on the line when a few buddies are taking off and try your suggestions. If I get anything that I think is worth posting then I'll add it on here tonight. I sure hope that my new 75-300m lens gets here before the weekend :)