1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aerial Drone Video

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by brutto, Oct 8, 2012.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've been googling around this topic quite a bit but wonder if there is anyone here who has experience of this type of photography? Or can point me in the right direction for some serious advice?

I'm thinking in terms of buying or developing a system that would have commercial application. It must be possible to deliver ultra high-quality video made with lightweight m4/3 kit for lower costs than the established players charge for their big set-ups and still make a healthy profit. There may be a niche there somewhere.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. TDP

TDP Guest

The camera would have to be in a housing. I've taken a Panasonic DMC-TS3 (which is water proof, shock proof and cold proof - all to some extent) up in some high wind situations and it did very poorly. Turns out they aren't that wind-proof.

Even light winds while parasailing caused it to fog up.

While a controlled aircraft would need to be beefy enough to carry a camera payload, a balloon on a steel tether might give you some cool shots.

How are you going to fire the camera?

3. TDP

TDP Guest

Oh on the wind issue, my friend races motorcycles at The Bonneville Salt Flats every August. He has to put his Hero GoPro HD in the waterproof housing due to the winds.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Bruto,

the technical and the parts cost issues are minor in such a project. There are commercial military systems drones that costs a few thousands USD.
    If you want a commercial civilian system you need to pay attention to the insurance and authorities approval costs.
    No one will fly such a system (except for army) without having insurance coverage and for it you need to pass authorities approval.
    Sorry I have to bring such an obstacles but you must take this into consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Start here.

Aircraft - Electric - Multirotors - RC Groups

Note that above a certain altitude, about 6 feet, these are illegal in many places in the US. I don't know where you are. You'll also need a pretty big one to fly something as heavy as a M43 camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I remember being intrigued by photos people had taken dangling a camera rig from kites as a very cheap way of getting into aerial photography. Have a look for "kite aerial photography".

Not sure how much it'd help for your video idea as it's a static location, although you could use the rig for panoramas in situ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks all for the input so far. I'm in the UK but the control is strict here too. For any external commercial activity I'd need to be CAA licensed. Getting that license is a useful barrier to entry but if it is very costly (I'm researching that now), it together with the insurance premiums, could overwhelm the lower costs involved with flying m4/3 kit.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A guy did this with his NEX...(swap for E-PM1 for example)
    Autumn

• Like Like x 2
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Shouldn't this be a great application for the body cap lens if there's enough light?