1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ael locking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hitman21988, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hitman21988

hitman21988 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Excuse me if things do not come out clearly i been working on this problem for a hour straight and my brain is fried :/.

Ok, so here i go. I have googled search this and what i got was how to lock ael with half shutter button press and us the fn and record buttons to reacquire the aF on the new subject with the locked AEL. Problem is i cant always be shooting like this doing a magic tricks with my hands while shooting.

So the main question at hand is can i get it the opposite way? Use the Fn or record button for ael lock and do half shutter button for acquiring AF?:jedi:

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You can use one of the FN botton for AEL, just need to config from the Menu setting.

Go the custom menus, select button deal, select button function, config as you want.

Here is a suggest settings for em5, maybe it helps.

http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:olympusem5_settings

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Go to Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL. There you can set Single AF, C-AF, and MF modes. Mode 2 is the one that removes AEL function from the shutter (unless the AEL button is not used), and instead makes the camera wait for you to use the AEL button.

Next, after you have your AF modes set, all you need to do is assign your AEL button. On the PEN and OM-D cameras this is in Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function, then choose whichever button you want to assign. The E-System DSLRs have a dedicated AEL button so you can skip this step with an E-Volt.

Of course, you then need to go through your regular control panel (Super Control Panel or Live Control) to set your camera to use one of the AF types that you have set to Mode 2, or use Menu => Sprocket => AF/MF => AF Mode to do that.

4. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    ok i have tried that set up :/ nothing. maybe im pressing the wrong button combo when trying it out. When i hold fn2 for the ael (s-af mode set to shutter button aka option2)it doesnt hold it when i point to a certain object in the room and swing it around. am i doing something wrong?

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not entirely sure that I am understanding your question hitman, but from what I do understand you to be saying is that you are holding the fn2 button to "back button focus" (focusing from the fn2 button on the back of the camera instead of the release button). You don't HOLD the fn2 (if you do, it is going to continually refocus), just press it to get your focus, release then recompose (if required) and expose (you need to have also set the release button NOT TO REFOCUS).

Does that help?

6. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    simple is i want the fn buttons to do the AEL locking and half shutter press for autofucos. which ned showed me but im not sure if i was during the magic trick correctly lol

7. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    no magic trick, I have my AEL/AFL set to mode 1 and when I find the exposure I like I press the F1 button. I'll see the green AEL light come on the viewfinder or OLED screen and I know I've locked the exposure.

8. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    so like i said i set it up the way Ned said. So i press the shutter button half way down and then hit the fn1 button to do the lock rolling green said. Sad thing is while holding shutter button half way down and then pressing the fn1 nothing happens. I only get the green light from holding the shutter button half way down. and the fn1 button doesnt do anything makes me feel like it broken lol. i have tried just holding down the fn1 button and swing the camera and the light meter jumps all around. Idk why oly can just give us a open for AEL LOCK assign to any FN or Record button. Would make things rather easy.

9. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    ok, first test and see if your fn1 button even works by assigning it to something else besides AEL. Go to Menu => Sprocket => (B) Button/Dial=> Button Function=> Fn1Function and set it to manual focus. Now try and press the the Fn1 Button and you should see on the left side of your EVF or screen MF. Try and toggle back and forth to make sure the Fn1 button is working and report back

10. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    just did a double check to make sure it does indeed work and it does. I maybe making this more complicated then it needs to be. i just want to hold down or press once to lock exposure and use the shutter button half way for s-af. Just for the recorded i can do it the opposite way.

P.s i tried it in MF(s2/c2/m2 ) and have half way shutter does nothing. I hit the FN1 button for the ael lock and it doesnt work... I feel like something could be wrong still.... im going to reassign it to the FN2 button.

11. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    sounds like you're in mode 3.
    ok go back and make sure to set the Fn1 button back to AEL/AFL- Menu => Sprocket => (B) Button/Dial=> Button Function=> Fn1Function=> AEL/AFL

THEN

go to Menu => Sprocket => (A) AF/MF=> AEL/AFL (third option down) and look to the right side of the menu, it should read S1 or S2 for the first option which means (single-AF) Mine reads S1/C2/M3. Mode 1 or mode 2 will lock exposure, mode 3 will make the Fn1 button into the auto focus button. hope it's not too confusing.

12. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    lol i already said i can do that way. I want it the other way. instead of the fn1 button doing the auto focus i want it to hold exposure lock while im free to refocus with shutter button.

13. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    i'm confused because what I wrote is for locking exposure with the Fn1 button. IF you were in mode 3 for example S3/C2/M3 that would be back button (Fn1) auto focus. Mode 1 and Mode 2 for example S1/C2/M3 or S2/C2/M3 will allow you to lock exposure with the Fn1 button. Just press the Fn1 button and the AEL light will appear confirming you have locked exposure. If this does not help I'm lost. Sorry

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exposure lock and then refocus? Guaranteed bad exposure? Probably easier to use manual exposure ... I'm confused about why one wants to do such a thing.

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Why? Using spot metering, I lock exposure all of the time. This way, I know I am exposing correctly for the specific area I care most about. It allows me to put it not in the direct center of the frame.

16. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    It sounds like you are trying to hold down two buttons at once. Don’t do that at first. To see if it works point the camera at a light source, hit the assigned AEL-button, if it sticks there should be some green info on the screen. If it doesn’t stick you haven’t set it up to stick and you must continue to hold the AEL-button down.

Then point the camera at something dark. Focus with half press and take a shot. You should now get a sharp picture with bad exposure.

17. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    I guess im not saying something right or what ever. For the exposure people lets say in my frame i have a lamp and a cup 12inchs in front of the lamp. I set exposure for the lamp but since it auto focusing on the lamp when i go to point at the cup to have that in focus and give the lamp a blur but correct exposure i cant let my finger off the shutter button because if so it will re do everything. so this is why im trying to get the AEL locked so that i can refocus automatically but yet keep my exposure lock.. I hope im saying everything right.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Why do you need to auto-focus on the lamp, if you don't want it in focus? Point the spot-meter at the lamp, press fn1 to lock the exposure, then re-compose, THEN touch the shutter button. Otherwise, you are needlessly adding extra finger motions.

19. hitman21988

Jan 4, 2013
    lol thats why i started this thread because the ael lock isnt working thats why im asking am i setting it up all correctly so that i can lock exposure and then focus on the aka cup.

right now the only way i have gotten the ael to lock is if i press half shutter and use the fn keys to acquire af lock.